Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 East Meets West Training Day

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Just read this and feeling grumpy about the decision right now. Gave up an Australia Day long weekend event to make way for this for the kids and no chance now of rescheduling due such late notice. Hopefully it makes a difference based on the inconvenience that it has caused my fam.
    I didn't go and watch the training at the WO last weekend largely based on this weeks venue being about a leisurely 5 to 7 mins drive from place. I'm a bit curious why this need to change wasn't evident to the footy department a week or so earlier. Had I know this 7 days ago I would have ventured out to the WO last Saturday.

With our club pushing into other territory's to increase membership numbers and to address some financial challenges I fear that the old East meets West days are numbered in it's current format.
    I hope the EWC doesn't lose the Legends and Young Guns night.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Still important we keep doing our best getting our club out there in other metropolitan areas of Melbourne.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible slight on the EWC, and us supporters on this side of town. I was telling someone today about going, and now I'm not. They seem to conveniently come up with excuses. Very, very poor form.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In consultation with the East Meets West supporter group committee, this Saturday’s East Meets West Day has been rescheduled to 31 March — due to a late amendment to the football training program, leading into the Club’s annual training camp in Mooloolaba on Wednesday.

I was only talking to a work colleague today about this saying they had seemed to have crammed in a lot in a short space of time but I didn't anticipate this.

I feel for Gwen and the EWC team who put in a lot of work at keeping a strong Eastern suburbs Bulldogs community for our supporters but at least they don't miss out completely.
    A very poor decision by the Football department with little respect for the East West Club, which has worked tirelessly over many years to financially support the Club.
    To make a similar decision two years in a row at such short notice is very upsetting and smacks of arrogance.

5. Likes AndrewP6, Greystache liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The decision doesn't affect me but it's still incredibly disrespectful to our supporters. I think footy departments get so caught up in their own self-important bubbles they lose sight that it's the supporters who keep the club in existence.

They convince themselves the tiniest little things will make the difference but they are kidding themselves. If they think keeping a commitment for one Saturday will affect the upcoming season then they need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Very poor
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

7. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket, Mantis, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a new focus on Ballarat but have really taken their eyes off the ball in Bulldogs' heartland....Wheelers Hill.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad planning by the club. They knew they were going to the Sunshine Coast, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. There were lots of opportunities to hold this over the past few weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    They have a new focus on Ballarat but have really taken their eyes off the ball in Bulldogs' heartland....Wheelers Hill.
    Yes Ballarat is more of the focus now but we still should focus on the East West Club as well which is a great opportunity to try and increase our support out in the eastern region as much as we can.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

A poster on our big footy forum said that there was a training session at WO this morning and Bevo asked if there were any East-West people there and he explained that they had to postpone Glen Waverley because the Wesley College ground wasn't up to scratch for the intense session that was required before we headed up north. They were blaming themselves and said they would happily go there but not under the current schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    A poster on our big footy forum said that there was a training session at WO this morning and Bevo asked if there were any East-West people there and he explained that they had to postpone Glen Waverley because the Wesley College ground wasn't up to scratch for the intense session that was required before we headed up north. They were blaming themselves and said they would happily go there but not under the current schedule.
    Thanks Easty. Shame they couldn't have checked the suitability of the ground prior. Sounds like a bit of spin to me.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I highly doubt that.

The Wesley ovals look like bowling greens and are in better shape than the WO I would think.

After they did some major work on them a few years back during the drought they have been an oasis of picture perfect green grass year round. This is a top notch private school we are talking about here not a public oval.

I get the feeling they didn't want to do another public show and tell session as there are a few already.

I don't think Bevo is that fond of them personally, which I can understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Hmm I highly doubt that.

The Wesley ovals look like bowling greens and are in better shape than the WO I would think.

After they did some major work on them a few years back during the drought they have been an oasis of picture perfect green grass year round. This is a top notch private school we are talking about here not a public oval.

I get the feeling they didn't want to do another public show and tell session as there are a few already.

I don't think Bevo is that fond of them personally, which I can understand.
    Perhaps, the East West club needs to rethink this event and organise something different. As you say, it's obvious Bevo is not interested.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Perhaps, the East West club needs to rethink this event and organise something different. As you say, it's obvious Bevo is not interested.
    Agree. It is difficult for the supporter to plan to go to these events when there is that doubt that it might be cancelled. It happened to us last year at The Peninsula Club. A night that was suddenly cancelled. Despite 2 emails to the Club I never received an answer either. Disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the best thing to do would be for the East West Club and our scheduling people at the club to decide on the best date during January for the club to come over. We have decent support out in the east and when I take the train in to games there is always a good few red white and blue around. We need to tap into as many markets as we can and events like the East West Day and entice potentially new supported of our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eastie, I feel for those of you who are disappointed and could have made other plans but I would much rather a cancellation or a new date than a player going down with a knee or any injury.
    I have played on many a ground that look lush, green and perfect from the sideline to only discover it was sub-par when running onto the surface.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.