Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

Tom's alleged $1m salary (yet to hear him or anyone from the Bulldogs actually confirm it) is a high price to pay for someone that "straighten's us up" and pinch hits in the Ruck. However, from mid 2017 and beyond $1m a year for this guy will be seen as one of the best deals of all time. Particularly when you consider what the results of the next CBA will provide to the players.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone had of said to me two years ago we will have the number ons draft pick and he is a 200cm beast, I would have said your dreaming.

Glad he is on our side.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's doing his job at the moment, but as he physically develops and improves his tank, he'll become the perfect key forward/ruck support for our system.

Really hoping he finishes his good work this week and clunks the marks he's just been missing so far this season. Against a small defensive unit much like last week, we should be able to manufacture some mismatches and give him some good marking opportunities.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see flog Barretts sliding doors this week? Mentioned that we have all been too hard on Hogan as he's only 21 and played 22 games.

Didn't hesitate to sink the boots into Boyd last year on several occasions when we were losing and Tom wasn't performing.

Post Thanks / Like

They showed an interesting stat before that terrible edition of Friday night football last night, and it highlighted that Tom Boyd has been in the second most one on one contests in the F50 (behind Charlie Dixon).

This demonstrates what he has brought to our team - whilst we're not a "kick deep" side, when we do utilise that tactic it's Tom we are kicking to. He has been able to neutralise just about every contest he's been in (often when out-numbered and being illegally dealt with) and that has become the foundation for our manic forward pressure and ability to lock the ball in our forward half.

Despite what media/opposition supporters et al may say, I'm very happy with how Tom is progressing and it's only a matter of time before he has his day, absolutely dominates and once he has, the confidence will grow and pressure ease. He's a young kid with a huge amount of expectation and is handling it as well as anyone could have hoped.

7. Likes Doggy, azabob, josie, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    Anyone see flog Barretts sliding doors this week? Mentioned that we have all been too hard on Hogan as he's only 21 and played 22 games.

Didn't hesitate to sink the boots into Boyd last year on several occasions when we were losing and Tom wasn't performing.
    Hogan's a special talent but people in the media have been particularly impatient with Tom since he signed the big contract. As much as I like Terry Wallace he can barely mention us without making a reference on how Boyd's contract will weigh us down.

My view is that his contract is just an easy target for the media and they have all failed to understand that in the scheme of things it's probably been a positive for the club. Once Boyd strings a couple of 4 goal games in a row they will start to focus on the need to be patient with tall forwards.

If we start losing though the focus will bounce back to Tom and the contract.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Hogan is being mishandled by Melbourne. They are playing him too deep and anchored to the square. He is much better playing as a high half forward that covers the ground and leaps at packs from differing angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I reckon Hogan is being mishandled by Melbourne. They are playing him too deep and anchored to the square. He is much better playing as a high half forward that covers the ground and leaps at packs from differing angles.
    What ? Melbourne mishandling a number one draft pick ??? No way .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What ? Melbourne mishandling a number one draft pick ??? No way .
    Hahahahahahhaha. Brilliant.
    As a side note to barrett. I watched the video of him having a go at bevo. Saying he had a "conversation" about it at some event. What a sly dog. They blindsided him and bevo should have given them a mouthful after it aired behind closed doors. Plus who gives a hoot about last years talia crap. Talk about this year. Barrett the bogeyman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The Dees have a bigger problem than that with him.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hogan's a special talent but people in the media have been particularly impatient with Tom since he signed the big contract. As much as I like Terry Wallace he can barely mention us without making a reference on how Boyd's contract will weigh us down.

My view is that his contract is just an easy target for the media and they have all failed to understand that in the scheme of things it's probably been a positive for the club. Once Boyd strings a couple of 4 goal games in a row they will start to focus on the need to be patient with tall forwards.

If we start losing though the focus will bounce back to Tom and the contract.
    Rucking, crashing packs, leading hard and tying up defenders, two goals a game with the odd 3 would be satisfactory for this year for me.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 10-04-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Huge last quarter, I wonder if any footy scribes will give him credit for a huge effort?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was good all game.

He is working really hard.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Huge last quarter, I wonder if any footy scribes will give him credit for a huge effort?
    Doubt it. They'll say only 1 goal and a couple of bad misses that cost the Dogs the game. It's the story they want to write.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I heard him being sledged for being a millionaire today....