Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Just back to KT. We should also remember he went to Melbourne to help the club out financially. Melbourne were offering a deal that ignored his dicky knee. I understand that KT announced the move to his teammates in the clubrooms in tears. He basically told them that his knee was *!*!*!*!ed and that he could no longer play. History shows he only lasted a couple more years and was a shadow of the all-time great who donned the Dogs' jumper.

From memory KT kicked 99 goals in 30 odd matches for Melbourne at a respectable average of a tick over 3 goals per game even though he was literally playing on one leg.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    From memory KT kicked 99 goals in 30 odd matches for Melbourne at a respectable average of a tick over 3 goals per game even though he was literally playing on one leg.
    A pretty good shadow! But he did only play for a couple of seasons. I can recall he was not able to kick for goal outside of 40 metres.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Tom was good last night and did some good things. Kicked a nice goal early in the 3rd quarter. It is very important we keep getting senior games into him. Good to see the players embrace Tom after that goal.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good in the second half tonight

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd was great last night. One thing that has always annoyed me about his assessment by the media is they forget that when he plays he gets the oppositions best defender. Not many kids start playing and AFL and have to deal with an elite opponent 90% of the game. When most kids are starting they get the oppositions 19-22 best player marking them. Imagine all the other 20 year olds having to play against Rance and co

7. Likes GVGjr, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I really wanted was for him to earn his spot for next week's game and he did that. Was lively in the ruck, clunked a few and his positioning in marking contests was noticeably better than it was before he got injured. And kicking a 50m bomb on a swirly night was good reward for effort.

He should gain plenty of confidence from that performance, and the genuine excitement his teammates showed when he kicked the goal had some meaning to it. Also spoke well after the game.

He'll be right.

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom is a gun, going at pick one and the money offered we all know he's a gun in the making. Something I was thinking about overnight was how good he was in the chain on plays and his skills. His skills by hand and by foot were that of a quality midfielder always hitting a target and inside 50's, that a 203cm can do this is pretty amazing. The media might only talk about pack marks and goals, but I'm sure the coaches would love that, like I do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

On TV it looked like he an Rough had a near 50/50 split for ruck time. He competed well an looked capable once the ball hit the ground.

The next step is starting to get more easy footy closer to goal. He'd be near impossible to spoil on the lead so I'd love to see him get on the end of some quick play in the way Redpath does.

Encouraging game, we look to have the set up pretty right between Roughy, Boyd and Redpath.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way he laid a few tackles as well, and his second efforts were very good.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the way he laid a few tackles as well, and his second efforts were very good.
    I thought he laid the first tackle that was a holding the ball in the goal square given to Clay Smith too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I've only seen the highlight of his mark for the goal in the 3rd quarter. He certainly used his height to its full advantage to beat the spoil. That's why guys like him go #1 in the draft so often.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is important that Bulldogs supporters get behind Tom Boyd because the treatment he has copped in so many sections of the media is just so unfair. It has often been like a pack of wolves circling.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought for a 1st game back at the level - it was a reasonable building block to start the remainder of the year.

With st.kilda's lack of tall defenders, he gets a real chance to build on last night, next week. It was good to see him take that big mark at half back.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is important that Bulldogs supporters get behind Tom Boyd because the treatment he has copped in so many sections of the media is just so unfair. It has often been like a pack of wolves circling.
    For sure. He needs the support and as I said in my previous post the embrace from his teammates was very good. They all looked like they were in good spirits.

The media is the media and we cannot worry about what they say as they will say all kinds of stuff - we just need to focus on what we are doing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He can always turn off the computer, put down the paper and light a cigar with a $1000 bill.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.