Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

When we got Tom Boyd, I didn't think he was worth the contract. I know I am not a pioneer there. I do not judge my expectations of him against a million dollars a year standard.

He struggled to get a game this year. Landing a million dollar a year contract doesn't make you more talented. He had a better year in 2015 than 2014. About as good as expected IMO. He just needs to keep improving.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    When we got Tom Boyd, I didn't think he was worth the contract. I know I am not a pioneer there. I do not judge my expectations of him against a million dollars a year standard.

He struggled to get a game this year. Landing a million dollar a year contract doesn't make you more talented. He had a better year in 2015 than 2014. About as good as expected IMO. He just needs to keep improving.
    Really? He towers above most guys his age. He is smart, agile and really young. Quality kid. There are only a handful of guys like him in the comp. Do not grow on trees.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Really? He towers above most guys his age. He is smart, agile and really young. Quality kid. There are only a handful of guys like him in the comp. Do not grow on trees.
    Yeah I rate him don't get me wrong. Just a pretty big contract! Who knows by 2021, it will probably be standard for a decent player!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I rate him don't get me wrong. Just a pretty big contract! Who knows by 2021, it will probably be standard for a decent player!
    Yes, I'm nervous as you are.

When we were vying for him, we had finished 14th. And it didn't look that pretty for the next season. There is only one way a team as low as we were gets a player like Boyd. Dollars, or a genuine desire to be with us. We got very lucky and the planets aligned.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think he was worth the contract
    Maybe not, but it was better than overpaying players who didn't deserve it and creating cap issues down the track. Same with paying Griffen's wage as a bargaining chip in the trade. We can front end Boyd's deal whilst the kids are young and be in a much better position when we hit top 4 and the squeeze comes. Same concept with offering Merrett & Lonergan $500k for a couple of years
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Maybe not, but it was better than overpaying players who didn't deserve it and creating cap issues down the track. Same with paying Griffen's wage as a bargaining chip in the trade. We can front end Boyd's deal whilst the kids are young and be in a much better position when we hit top 4 and the squeeze comes. Same concept with offering Merrett & Lonergan $500k for a couple of years
    Yep, I definitely see why we did it.

Post Thanks / Like

We couldn't front end his first year.. First two years players are on a set wage depending on where they are chosen in the draft.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We couldn't front end his first year.. First two years players are on a set wage depending on where they are chosen in the draft.
    I don't pretend to know anything about how our club structures it's total player payments, but presumably Boyd will earn a fair chunk of his contract in 2016 and 2017 meaning we have additional space after that time, along with an increase in the cap based on the new rights deal. This will mean we're well positioned to manage our current list and chase a few established players.

Ideally, we need a list where players are prepared to play for a little under market value to keep the playing group together. The dominant sides of our era have essentially been able to do that, in Geelong and Hawthorn (noting they both lost their biggest ticket items).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    We can front end Boyd's deal whilst the kids are young and be in a much better position when we hit top 4 and the squeeze comes.
    Front loading seems like the best idea, as GoDogs outlined. Boyd gets his hands on the money earlier and can invest. The rest of the players get more of the pie later on and we can pay a decent price for another trade. No repeat of shortchanging Aker because Brian Lake holds out for max dollar.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

After Jesse Hogans terrible body language on the weekend I thought I'd bring up Tom Boyd.
    Seeing as they are the two 'great white hopes' for each team.

Tom Boyd has consistently shown great body language.
    Always looks serious and committed, never drops his head or points accusingly around.
    Competes over and over again, even if he's not having a great game.
    Covers a lot of ground and gets deep into defense when required.
    Battles it out in the ruck, and when dropped to the VFL kept up the same attitude.

I loved watching Hogans petulance, I REVELLED IN IT, because the whole football world is so smug about him, and so many football watchers and so called experts are almost willing Boyd to fail. I really hope in the long run we prove to have the superior beast.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be looking a million bucks too if I was...wait a minute.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy with big Tom so far. He isn't going to become Hawkins overnight, but continual improvement should see him develop into a powerhouse which I think he is well on the way to becoming.

He's getting to a lot more contests and is "nearly" marking about 5-10 per game but dropping them at the last moment. I think the ruck has been terrific for him, and whilst it hits his fatigue which impacts his marking/kicking for goal at the moment, in the long run it'll be greatly beneficial for him.

Post Thanks / Like

If he held his marks and got the free kicks he should have got he would have kicked 5 or 6 last week, he is getting there.
    The dropped marks frustrate me sometimes but being able to kick 5 or 6 and play in the ruck at this stage proved he will be well with it once he knows he can do it !
    He needs one break out game and it's game on in my opinion.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I was not keen on Toms agility and athleticism early days but I realised I was focussing too much on what he couldn't do rather than what he can do or what he brings to the team.

He has a fantastic attitude and that is one of the reasons I am so certain he will do everything needed to be a success. The kid can seriously play too.

Post Thanks / Like

The quality is there, the execution not yet. He's going to be a beast, maybe not this year but still best 22 for all else he brings to the table.