Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

When you doubt just watch this and remember he is only 20.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ts-dogs-v-pies
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You're only as good as your last game and in Tom's last game he falconed a ball into the crowd.

If he had kicked 5 in his last game he would be the next Wayne Carey. People have short memories.
    But it was a high quality falcon... If he had fluffed it then I could understand the heightened level of criticism, but he *!*!*!*!ing nailed it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Gee I hope your glass-half full view on Boyd is right. I desperately want him to be a success. It makes me very nervous.
    I'm a glass completely full guy on Tom. A drafted 200+cm & 100+ kg kid, marking machine and deadly accurate in front of goal and was so red hot a number one pick that Sheedy was trying to sell the rights to him for stupid offers. He's still around 70% goal conversion and hasn't had the luxury of a big foil or decoy tall down with him (Bevo's words). The entries forward since we've had him haven't helped and he's been getting monstered yet is tracking nicely as he grows into his huge body. Without checking I'd say he's in front of Tom Hawkins to this stage too. When he gets the forwardline support and better delivery as he's stronger and smarter at the level the club will be laughing it's arse off that we are getting him for under market value for the last more than half of his contract. So will I as we keep resigning our guns and Barrett and co's 'world is falling in rhetoric about keeping the list together' are seen for the empty hyperbole. The kid cost Gryphone, pick 8, $6,000,000 in wages and $700,000 for Gryphones salary. There's a very good reason for that, he's that good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was also a symbol of hope to thousands of fans that had been pounded from pillar to post. His signing was a catalyst for change that we're still feeling the effects of. He was a blue chip prospect that chose to come to us, yes money was part of it, but it was something else too.

You can't put a price on that.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, Templeton31, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember in his draft year I was praying the club did some wheeling and dealing to sucure the first round pick. It is a guessing game re the potential of draft picks but this kid was a standout number one. I was so disappointed we couldn't get him in the draft as I thought of him as the forward we could build a premiership around. Thrilled we have him now and wouldn't expect him to really hit his straps for a few years yet. Like all big fellas it isn't till they are about 23-25 that they really start playing good footy. With a few exceptions of course. I must admit I thought the umpires have allowed him to get mauled by opposition many times. Would be interesting to know just how many free kicks he has been paid as I think they have missed at least half that he would have gotten if his name was Reiwolt. You only had to breathe on him at one stage a few years back.

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many times in the past 30 years have we had a 200cm number one draft pick at our club that can play?

I really don't care about his contract and what he is paid, he is a Bulldog with tremendous upside and he plays for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still confident on Boyd.

He was always going to take time - and not just because that's the fancy common line to excuse performances for a tall you have NFI if he will make it - but because he was a puppy in a Bulldog's grown body. His body composition has improved a lot since he arrived at the club and he's fitter. He's added versatility to his game, which he didn't have previously.

I see Boyd as seemingly "frustrating" the outside world for another two years, before exploding. I doubt we see a gradual climb - I predict it'll be a sharp and sudden rise, very similar to that of Hawkins.

The one thing I want to see Boyd work on is his aggresiveness. He has it at times (the stellar mark v Pies in the NAB) but it's not natural to him. He has almost everything else in his favour - strong mark (rucking/fatigue has hindered this a little but he'll be better for it), good kick, good attitude, intelligent footballer.

Be patient.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Remi Moses, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his ruck work and think it's been good for his development but I think he'd benefit from a ruckman who can ruck 70-80% game time, which I'm hopeful Campbell can get to.

it'll be interesting to see how our structure works itself out. 2 genuine rucks + Boyd & Redpath, 2 genuine rucks + Boyd or Redpath or 1 genuine ruck + Boyd and Redpath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I like his ruck work and think it's been good for his development but I think he'd benefit from a ruckman who can ruck 70-80% game time, which I'm hopeful Campbell can get to.

it'll be interesting to see how our structure works itself out. 2 genuine rucks + Boyd & Redpath, 2 genuine rucks + Boyd or Redpath or 1 genuine ruck + Boyd and Redpath.
    Bevo at a recent presser talked about the need for Boyd to have another tall target or 'decoy'. I tend to agree. When Boyd rucks our forwardline losses structure and venom. I'd like him to spend as much time as possible up there. So Redpath needs to ruck 10+% or we should look at a forward/second ruck to put next to Boyd as Camhead plus Boyd & Redders seems one too many. I think Roughy is the one to drop off possibly as Campbell looks like a real first ruck. Roughie isn't a forward, so perhaps to defence or see if the trade market will pay nicely for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bevo at a recent presser talked about the need for Boyd to have another tall target or 'decoy'. I tend to agree. When Boyd rucks our forwardline losses structure and venom. I'd like him to spend as much time as possible up there. So Redpath needs to ruck 10+% or we should look at a forward/second ruck to put next to Boyd as Camhead plus Boyd & Redders seems one too many. I think Roughy is the one to drop off possibly as Campbell looks like a real first ruck. Roughie isn't a forward, so perhaps to defence or see if the trade market will pay nicely for him.
    I would like to see us trying flexible 2nd ruck options. Bring in Tom Boyd for say Fletcher Roberts and have Roughy and T.Boyd as 2nd ruck options. If the forward line looks too top heavy/we need another tall defender, play T.Boyd as 2nd ruck more. If we are ok for height down back and forward line is looking good, play Roughy 2nd ruck more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You're only as good as your last game and in Tom's last game he falconed a ball into the crowd.

If he had kicked 5 in his last game he would be the next Wayne Carey. People have short memories.
    Plenty of players have been falconed . I'm not sure that constitutes being in poor form .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Plenty of players have been falconed . I'm not sure that constitutes being in poor form .
    And he was pushed in the back as he went for the ball by Carlton cheat Weitering.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

We all want Tom to succeed. All Ozza said that he was nervous. I can see his point.

20. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Boyd taken out of the ruck, surely Camhead have that role filled now, although I'm not sure if the head of Camhead can stay in the team if Boyd and Redpath play.

I don't think rucking helps his shoulders at all. We need to remember he is still developing physically. He broke down in the ruck and I would like to limit the risk of him breaking down again. I hope the MC take a conservative approach to his transition back to AFL footy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

22. Likes bulldogtragic, azabob, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Wasn't really my point. It wasn't his best game, the falcon bit was a joke. Next time I will be sure to use an emoticon.