Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    But will we work on it?
    I'd like to think so but I won't hold my breath.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd like to think so but I won't hold my breath.
    Of course he will, he is a professional.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    To be fair - he should have gotten one of those points. The set shot was a poor miss. I think though he had a good game. Should have been paid a mark in the first quarter inside 50 and then proceeded to compete well in the ruck. Will continue to develop.
    I thought it was 50/50 one to be honest but I was livered when McEvoy's 50/50 attempt was paid a mark minutes later. Unfair umpiring

4. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I thought it was 50/50 one to be honest but I was livered when McEvoy's 50/50 attempt was paid a mark minutes later. Unfair umpiring
    Agreed.....completely inconsistent - I think at one point out of the Hawks first 5 goals 2or 3 came as a result of umpire interference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agreed.....completely inconsistent - I think at one point out of the Hawks first 5 goals 2or 3 came as a result of umpire interference
    Three from free kicks from the first 5.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Three from free kicks from the first 5.
    What was our break-down? We had a few too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What was our break-down? We had a few too.
    By the end of the game we had at least 2 or 3 as well. Not sure overall frees in front of goal for the game.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mantis;488682]What was our break

Don't know but there's no doubt that the hawks got the better end of the deal in the first quarter but we benefited from some dubious umpiring calls as the game progressed. The reality is they were bad enough for both clubs' supporters to hold them in contempt. Chamberlain is an attention seeker and Donlon simply isn't a very good umpire.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Don't know but there's no doubt that the hawks got the better end of the deal in the first quarter but we benefited from some dubious umpiring calls as the game progressed. The reality is they were bad enough for both clubs' supporters to hold them in contempt. Chamberlain is an attention seeker and Donlon simply isn't a very good umpire.
    I've long ago stopped blaming the umpires for our losses*. Having done some umpiring for my son's footy team, it is an incredibly difficult job and I reckon the umpires do as good a job as possible given the difficult nature of the job. Biggest problem I have with umpiring is the propensity to give champions far more leeway - Josh Gibson and Cyril benefitted from this largesse in the first qtr on Sunday with clear HTB's that weren't given. There are also far too many rules in our game that are based on interpretation and not black and white fact, which is prone to creating inconsistency. But that is a problem of the rules not the umpires.

* Shane IcInernay and the 2009 PF is the notable exception and always will be until the end of time.

11. Likes Happy Days, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I've long ago stopped blaming the umpires for our losses*. Having done some umpiring for my son's footy team, it is an incredibly difficult job and I reckon the umpires do as good a job as possible given the difficult nature of the job. Biggest problem I have with umpiring is the propensity to give champions far more leeway - Josh Gibson and Cyril benefitted from this largesse in the first qtr on Sunday with clear HTB's that weren't given. There are also far too many rules in our game that are based on interpretation and not black and white fact, which is prone to creating inconsistency. But that is a problem of the rules not the umpires.

* Shane IcInernay and the 2009 PF is the notable exception and will always be until the end of time
    I am prone to abusing umpires but rarely blame them for a loss....like you I have McInerney as the exception.

The first thing I look for when the umpires enter the ground is whether he is there. I'm not normally violent but I think there are occasions when a well positioned sniper at the ground would be justified.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

* Shane IcInernay and the 2009 PF is the notable exception and always will be until the end of time.
    I got an A+ in year 12 English giving an oral presentation on how shit of an umpire Shane McInernay is.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Tom will practice and practice his goal kicking technique. It is so important that a key forward is a good shot for goal. From a supporters point of view there is nothing better to feeling confident when a forward is kicking for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I hope Tom will practice and practice his goal kicking technique. It is so important that a key forward is a good shot for goal. From a supporters point of view there is nothing better to feeling confident when a forward is kicking for goal.
    He's got the yips, he was much better last year.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Whilst it's important that he practices such that he is comfortable with is technique he also has to pay attention to what is happening with the flight of the ball.

In a previous life (pre-kids) I was a pretty handy golfer and through my practice I got to a stage where I could stand over the ball and know if I put a reasonable swing on it which shape of shot I would hit.

When watching Tom kick at present it's clear that he is moving the ball right to left in the air, but other than one kick against Freo he has made no allowance to this and is continuing to aim centre and miss left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst it's important that he practices such that he is comfortable with is technique he also has to pay attention to what is happening with the flight of the ball.

In a previous life (pre-kids) I was a pretty handy golfer and through my practice I got to a stage where I could stand over the ball and know if I put a reasonable swing on it which shape of shot I would hit.

When watching Tom kick at present it's clear that he is moving the ball right to left in the air, but other than one kick against Freo he has made no allowance to this and is continuing to aim centre and miss left.
    Your spot on there, he almost looks like his body is leaning/angled to the left as well, as in he is not standing straight when he kicks the ball. Jake Stringer has similar problems but he leans back on occasions rather than to the left like Boyd, both actions result in kicks that don't go straight or curve.