Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  224
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I see your 5 and raise you 7.
    That's 12. That would certainly be a break out game!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

2. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this is an artefact of the tv cameras but he didn't run straight at the goals in his run up. This has crept into a lot of our forwards. A very slight arc to the right perhaps in an attempt to get an extra metre in distance? When he kicked the goal in the previous match after missing one, he definitely changed his drop to straight over his right leg and ran straight at goal. Stringer kicks beautifully from distance but usually doesn't kick through the ball at closer range. My U14 coach always said "the ball goes where you run" ie run straight at the goals and with a correct ball drop over your kicking leg, the ball should sail straight through. Bruce Andrews (long ago kicking guru for younger readers) would be turning over in his grave at some of our players approach to goal. Watching Roughie in the warmup and I don't recall one of his drop punts rotating correctly. As BA would have said " must always have a taut instep". Make Tory the goal kicking coach now!

Post Thanks / Like

I was listening to The Sounding Board podcast with Damien Barrett and Craig Hutchison. I know, I know, but it's actually a very interesting insight into the machinations of the footy media industry and funnily enough, they come across as much more likeable (Hutch more so) in this format than anywhere else they appear.

In the most recent episode (Episode 10), they did a segment called Spin City where they have a hypothetical conversation about a footy topic. Barrett wanted to talk about Boyd and so he played the role of Bevo, with Hutchy as PG.

The premise was that Bevo goes to PG, taking umbrage at the terms of Boyd's contract. Of course, Barrett took the position that the Boyd contract is ridiculous (Hutchy stated that he knows that Boyd is on roughly 1.8-2M this year, making him the highest paid player in the competition) and is potentially costing us trade opportunities. Hutchy argued that the money is the most insignificant thing about the deal, that we have to pay someone to make the cap and it's best to do it up front so when our guns are coming out of contract (he mentioned Stringer, Macrae & Bont), we've front loaded and will have the cap space to retain them. By the time 2018 roles around, he'll be on approx $700,000 and will be well worth that (and implying it will be unders).

Barrett just couldn't let go of the huge dollars and the fact we're contending and we may miss a player due to Boyd's contract and Hutchy said (in his role as PG) - "Ok, Bevo. You get a commitment from a Dustin Martin or a Dan Hannebery and I'll see if I can make it happen, until then it doesn't matter". Hutchy then had a crack at Barrett for his righteousness regarding his negativity over the Boyd deal.

It was an interesting segment and I give props to Hutchy for seeing the deal in a way that other journos like Barrett have been unable to. What was also insightful was a comment Hutchy made earlier in the podcast about 'good blokes' in the game getting a '20% discount' or leniency in how things are reported in the media, yet blokes who have been hard work get whacked the other way. Barrett agreed and said as he got older and more jaded, this happens more often.

Gives you an idea why Barrett goes so hard at Boyd and Bevo.

Well worth a listen for Doggies fans, if only to have some ammo the next time a peanut opposition supporter has a crack at the Boyd deal.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Thanks Templeton31, bornadog, Bulldog4life, 1eyedog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Comrade. Will listen now. I saw the headline of the podcast and thought it would be the 2 of them taking turns to whack Tom - Dammo doesn't usually miss an opportunity to whack him r.e. contact. But having read your summary Ill have a listen. It makes sense too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I was listening to The Sounding Board podcast with Damien Barrett and Craig Hutchison. I know, I know, but it's actually a very interesting insight into the machinations of the footy media industry and funnily enough, they come across as much more likeable (Hutch more so) in this format than anywhere else they appear.

In the most recent episode (Episode 10), they did a segment called Spin City where they have a hypothetical conversation about a footy topic. Barrett wanted to talk about Boyd and so he played the role of Bevo, with Hutchy as PG.

The premise was that Bevo goes to PG, taking umbrage at the terms of Boyd's contract. Of course, Barrett took the position that the Boyd contract is ridiculous (Hutchy stated that he knows that Boyd is on roughly 1.8-2M this year, making him the highest paid player in the competition) and is potentially costing us trade opportunities. Hutchy argued that the money is the most insignificant thing about the deal, that we have to pay someone to make the cap and it's best to do it up front so when our guns are coming out of contract (he mentioned Stringer, Macrae & Bont), we've front loaded and will have the cap space to retain them. By the time 2018 roles around, he'll be on approx $700,000 and will be well worth that (and implying it will be unders).

Barrett just couldn't let go of the huge dollars and the fact we're contending and we may miss a player due to Boyd's contract and Hutchy said (in his role as PG) - "Ok, Bevo. You get a commitment from a Dustin Martin or a Dan Hannebery and I'll see if I can make it happen, until then it doesn't matter". Hutchy then had a crack at Barrett for his righteousness regarding his negativity over the Boyd deal.

It was an interesting segment and I give props to Hutchy for seeing the deal in a way that other journos like Barrett have been unable to. What was also insightful was a comment Hutchy made earlier in the podcast about 'good blokes' in the game getting a '20% discount' or leniency in how things are reported in the media, yet blokes who have been hard work get whacked the other way. Barrett agreed and said as he got older and more jaded, this happens more often.

Gives you an idea why Barrett goes so hard at Boyd and Bevo.

Well worth a listen for Doggies fans, if only to have some ammo the next time a peanut opposition supporter has a crack at the Boyd deal.
    I've listened to Hutchy on his show with Pickering and Doctor Turf on Saturday mornings (Off The Bench) for a long time, and find Hutchy very likable and funny on that show.

In terms of the stance on the Boyd deal - Hutchy has always been a supporter of it, and tends to look big picture or outside the square at these sort of things. Barrett just likes to pot clubs and in my opinion barracks too hard for the 'headline'.

Personally, I supported the Boyd deal at the time. I'm far more nervous about it now. But I'm glad to hear (if true), that the big money is in the early years, before our best players are having the big money kick in/new contracts negotiated.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd at 27 games - vs - Kurt Tippett at 27 games

Goals - 29.13 vs 26.24 (Boyd is an outstanding kick for goal as I keep rambling about)
    Disposals - 7.89 vs 8.59
    Marks - 3.1 vs 2.7
    CM - 1.07 vs .96
    Tackles - 1.89 vs 2.07

Salary - $700,000 (after this year is done) vs $900,000

Boyd is ahead of Tippett on a like for like after 27 games. But Tom has considerably more growth and development in his game. This deal is a winner no matter Barrett screams about. Boyd is the real deal, he'll be better than Tippett and he will cost considerably less. I stand by my decision to recruit him from GWS.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a clue re Boyd's contract if he misses matches through injury or non selection, $$$ payment wise?

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd at 27 games - vs - Kurt Tippett at 27 games

Goals - 29.13 vs 26.24 (Boyd is an outstanding kick for goal as I keep rambling about)
    Disposals - 7.89 vs 8.59
    Marks - 3.1 vs 2.7
    CM - 1.07 vs .96
    Tackles - 1.89 vs 2.07

Salary - $700,000 (after this year is done) vs $900,000

Boyd is ahead of Tippett on a like for like after 27 games. But Tom has considerably more growth and development in his game. This deal is a winner no matter Barrett screams about. Boyd is the real deal, he'll be better than Tippett and he will cost considerably less. I stand by my decision to recruit him from GWS.
    The real comparison is going to be whether Boyd is anywhere near Tippett after 50 games. Between 27 games and 50 Games played - Tippett kicked 57 goals. In his second season of footy, Tippett chalked up 55 goals and was one of the very good forwards in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The real comparison is going to be whether Boyd is anywhere near Tippett after 50 games. Between 27 games and 50 Games played - Tippett kicked 57 goals. In his second season of footy, Tippett chalked up 55 goals and was one of the very good forwards in the competition.
    I watched enough of him through TAC to believe he will be in this grade as he matures & develops and hopefully a midfield capable of kicking it to his advantage & another big man to help him out. Things Tippett had. I don't doubt him, my real concern is the midfield entries to him and an almost refusal by umpires to pay him frees that Hogan seems to get.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched enough of him through TAC to believe he will be in this grade as he matures & develops and hopefully a midfield capable of kicking it to his advantage & another big man to help him out. Things Tippett had. I don't doubt him, my real concern is the midfield entries to him and an almost refusal by umpires to pay him frees that Hogan seems to get.
    You'd hate to think the umpires don't pay them out of a sense of righteousness (you make that much $$, you can earn a kick) but after watching Making A Murderer recently, I don't think anyone is above corruption 😄

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to remember with the Tippett comparison that Kurt didn't debut until he was almost 21, around the age Tom is now.

16. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee I hope your glass-half full view on Boyd is right. I desperately want him to be a success. It makes me very nervous.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems in some eyes Tom's got worse while being injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Gee I hope your glass-half full view on Boyd is right. I desperately want him to be a success. It makes me very nervous.
    For some perspective there's a thread here approximately titled "I'm calling it now, Liam Jones will be a star."

The lesson is our feelings about how good a player will be can change quite dramatically over a few years. And as Jones has destroyed all hopes, Boyd could easily dash all fears.

21. Likes bulldogtragic, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    It seems in some eyes Tom's got worse while being injured.
    You're only as good as your last game and in Tom's last game he falconed a ball into the crowd.

If he had kicked 5 in his last game he would be the next Wayne Carey. People have short memories.