Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs reflective - The Trade Period

Stevo was saying on the news that the Saints are into Hrovat.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Nice summary PP. I'd imagine Wright, Hickey, lobbe and lycett would take our first round pick or a top 20 pick for Lycett.

Out of the ruckmen you put up who is your preferred one? And what would it take to get him?
    Thanks Azabob. Given our primary need is a first Ruck to go straight away, the safest bet would have to be Lobbe. I think Port would be very up for trade as they will have used up their 2 best picks on Charlie Dixon and Toumpas. Will probably take 1st round, although Dalrymple is apparently very keen to keep it. Maybe 2nd and Talia?

Long term, I'd really love Apeness or Wright.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say I'm not massive on Lobbe
    Just not mobile enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Stevo was saying on the news that the Saints are into Hrovat.
    So both Melbourne and St.Kilda are interested. I wonder if he will stay or go?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Wright could be anything. If Shocktober didn't happen, I have it on absolute authority from a reliable source that we were picking him with our first rounder. So he must be highly rated internally. One TAC game I heard some recruiters from another club really talking him up between themselves. I can't see GCS letting him go though. A pick 11 isn't really needed unless they need it to trade with. Hrovat is surplus to a fit squad they have, as much as I love Granty I can't see him impacting the trade although his previous best footy was under Eade. Whether we could put both and the pick 11 up in a multi club trade would be interesting.

So Apeness might be more gettable? Who knows, but I think a younger and a mature ruck are needed, and a depth ruckman if Minson is to leave.

The key defender is where the most pressing need is I think. If we can't get Hendo and most remain contracted it's going to be tough. If St Kilda want Hrovat, then one of their young talls should be our asking price. I'm still a believer in Nathan so I would want fair compo.

So far Grant, Talia, Hrovat & Minson linked to trades/movement this year. My guess is we might be very, very busy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So both Melbourne and St.Kilda are interested. I wonder if he will stay or go?
    For conversation... Hrovat for Watts?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    For conversation... Hrovat for Watts?
    Not sure on that one. Does Watts attack the contest hard enough?

If the club does trade for Watts, my question is what does offer that is different or better than Grant?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gotta say I'm not massive on Lobbe
    Just not mobile enough
    He's not unlike Will also in that he does not take a lot of marks around the ground. There's a reason Port went after Ryder. They think he'll be their premiership ruckman, not Lobbe.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

A pick 11 isn't really needed unless they need it to trade with.
    Don't forget trade picks are extra valuable to Qld/NSW teams because it gives them greater pull in bidding for the gun academy players.

Here's a wild hypothetical. Given the crazy money StKilda are throwing at Carlisle, they are desperate for a KPD (of which there are very few available). If they miss him, could we package Talia and Hrovat (who they are also apparently keen on) for Hickey?

Post Thanks / Like

If the club does trade for Watts, my question is what does offer that is different or better than Grant?
    If Grant leaves, say to Melbourne, would that change it? Could we use Watts as KPD coverage if we can't get a bonafide KPD. He said he prefers a teaching coach like Bailey and not pricks like Neeld. He might be flexible for Bevo? I'm not sure, but the two players might have a similar market value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's not unlike Will also in that he does not take a lot of marks around the ground. There's a reason Port went after Ryder. They think he'll be their premiership ruckman, not Lobbe.
    I don't agree with that. Port recruited Ryder in October 2014 and then gave Lobbe a rich 4 year contract in December 2014.

Their plan was Lobbe 1st Ruck, Ryder forward/Ruck. Unfortunately for them, Ryder hasn't worked.

Post Thanks / Like

The ability to play third tall at either end of the ground. I personally think Grant offers more, but Watts might be selected for structural reasons, especially if trade time is light on for talls, Talia goes and Hamling has to move up a notch (third to second tall for instance). Just speculating,
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Don't forget trade picks are extra valuable to Qld/NSW teams because it gives them greater pull in bidding for the gun academy players.

Here's a wild hypothetical. Given the crazy money StKilda are throwing at Carlisle, they are desperate for a KPD (of which there are very few available). If they miss him, could we package Talia and Hrovat (who they are also apparently keen on) for Hickey?

I'm sure we could, but should we? I don't watch them to be fair. What ever happened to Tom Lee? I'd like Goddard but that's unrealistic even for Talia & Hrovat.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we could, but should we? I don't watch them to be fair. What ever happened to Tom Lee? I'd like Goddard but that's unrealistic even for Talia & Hrovat.
    No to Tom Lee...he ain't any good.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I don't agree with that. Port recruited Ryder in October 2014 and then gave Lobbe a rich 4 year contract in December 2014.

Their plan was Lobbe 1st Ruck, Ryder forward/Ruck. Unfortunately for them, Ryder hasn't worked.
    Ryder was certainly more than a risk minimisation strategy for Port. Port know he plays his best football as number 1 ruck. Port didn't need Ryder as 2nd ruck, the Lobbe / Westoff combination was working fine, it nearly got them to a Grand Final.

Ryder played his best football at Essendon as number 1 ruck and after Lobbe was dropped in Round 17 Ryder excelled dominating in the position. There are certainly issues with Port offering a large contract but from what I hear off the Port board it is heavily back-loaded which will give them a relatively easy out when it's time to go hard at Dixon. Ryder and Dixon / Westoff are the future there. The bigger issue for Port re. Lobbe is cultural. Trading out VC one year into a contract is dodgy business.