Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs reflective - The Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm sure we could, but should we? I don't watch them to be fair. What ever happened to Tom Lee? I'd like Goddard but that's unrealistic even for Talia & Hrovat.
    I'm sure we could find a spot for a 24 year old athletic ruckman with elite endurance and an ability to go forward. Would take him ahead of Goddard or Lee.

Post Thanks / Like

For conversation... Hrovat for Watts?
    If I could be sure that Watts would become just that bit more desperate for the ball in our guernsey, I would do the swap.

Hrovat is a good developing player who had a bad season. Every time I saw him play in 2015, even in the VFL, he was trying to do too much. It suggested to me that he had had a shock with a quick succession of events that undermined his status in the pecking order for a position in the first 22: the progress of Honeychurch, the recruitment of Daniel and McLean and the tremendous rise of Dalhaus as a lock for a starting smaller mid position. I have the feeling that he will recover from this shock and if he got an opportunity to move to a team that really needed a smaller mid (or rover in the old parlance) he could blossom in 2016. Therefore, in my opinion, Hrovat would be a sacrifice and a loss to our list, so I would like to get plenty of assurance that Watts was going to do the 1%ers and the like. But that just can't happen (proof of the pudding is in the eating). Given this, I would take the punt because we have a number of players like Hrovat on our list but we don't have a mobile, marking, skillful CHF - which would be the spot Watts would be recruited to fill. That is unless we want to spend Stringer in that position, a position that often has its back to the goals and is 75 to 100m from them.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread GVGjr

I suspect we've got quite a few things we are working on behind the scenes in attempting to improve our list, and may surprise - I just have this feeling we might land someone that we havent been considered by the media as a likely destination

Whether we acquire another ruckman, and or key defensive option in this trade period will be of great interest.

Minson to GWS may be on the cards. I'd like to see us look at Tomlinson as part of that - could he be a CHB in our system.

Im not convinced we would look to trade Hrovat but that might depend on the player we are attempting to attract.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson gone? Ayce gone. Roughy plays best where? Campbell stagnated.

We need rucks big time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

northernsoul74 Guest

Lake has confirmed he is retiring along with Hale.
    Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    You would have to be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson gone? Ayce gone. Roughy plays best where? Campbell stagnated.

We need rucks big time.
    Listening to JMac earlier today he made reference to Roughy training all pre season as a key defender. Seems to indicate he thinks a pre season working on his ruck craft will benefit.

Also again stated Minson in contracted and Campbell was coming along nicely before gettig inured.

When asked about a few names that have been thrown up this trade period (Luey, Z Smith, Hickey, Lobbe, Martin) I loved his response - With all due respect to those names mentioned, we need to make sure we bring in the right player for us.

Which says to me we aren't going to waste our time bringing in someone who isn't good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I know JMac has said Hrovat is contracted and not expecting to see him traded, although keeping an open mind... I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Darcy Macpherson? If we taking another small and slender mid/forward in Darcy, then I can see us being too heavy in this area (even more so). If Darcy cost a third or fourth rounder, and Hrovat got a good player/pick, and we thought the net difference was up then perhaps allowing this chatter is a signal Darcy could get a FS nomination from us?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very surprised if McPHerson wasn't on our list next year. Which again we have to ask the question is there room for, Daniel, Honeychurch, Dahl, Daniel, Hrovat & McPHerson on our list? So BT we may be open to trading Hrovat.

Longer term who has the brighter future - Hrovat or Honeychurch?

Who is more valuable to our finals chances in the coming five years - Grant or Hrovat?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'd be very surprised if McPHerson wasn't on our list next year. Which again we have to ask the question is there room for, Daniel, Honeychurch, Dahl, Daniel, Hrovat & McPHerson on our list? So BT we may be open to trading Hrovat.

Longer term who has the brighter future - Hrovat or Honeychurch?

Who is more valuable to our finals chances in the coming five years - Grant or Hrovat?
    I'd be keeping Grant. I think Hrovat is more flexible than Honey, and if it's a straight decision of course Hrovt. But if Honey is not attracting by interest, then I guess we see where it goes. If three clubs starting a bidding war on a contracted Hrovat and something happened like a young KPP ala Goddard, then brilliant. But I don't see a big need to trade him. But the list will lose potentially two rucks and a KPD whilst adding Darcy into the mix. Something has to happen about it I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading the tea leaves, here, i wouldn't be surprised to see us trading Hrovat plus pick 11 to the Aints for pick 5. The Aints will then trade pick 11 to the scum for Carlisle.

We'll then either go to the well or use pick 5 to on-trade. Bundle pick 5 and Talia and suddenly we're relevant to Adelaide - who will be needing something from Geelong... that may bring Geelong to our doorstep... Just cant thing of a Geelong player we'd target.. it'll be interesting to watch.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just reading the tea leaves, here, i wouldn't be surprised to see us trading Hrovat plus pick 11 to the Aints for pick 5. The Aints will then trade pick 11 to the scum for Carlisle.

We'll then either go to the well or use pick 5 to on-trade.
    I'd love that scenario, not sure if the Saints would run with it - they'd probably want a sweetener.
    It does have the added bonus of keeping one of Essendon's picks out of the top 10
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

We'll then either go to the well or use pick 5 to on-trade. Bundle pick 5 and Talia and suddenly we're relevant to Adelaide - who will be needing something from Geelong... that may bring Geelong to our doorstep... Just cant thing of a Geelong player we'd target.. it'll be interesting to watch.
    Pick 5 is a massive chip on the trade table. I'd want two good younger players for it, could we get it? I.e.

GWS: Tomlinson & Treloar (Plus Minson? GWS are interested and his salary and Hrovats salary could go the way to covering Treloar)
    GCS: Wright & Bennell/etc

Still have picks 30, 31 (Talia) and 48 (Darcy Mac?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd love that scenario, not sure if the Saints would run with it - they'd probably want a sweetener.
    It does have the added bonus of keeping one of Essendon's picks out of the top 10
    Saints are effectively getting Carlisle and Hrovat for pick 5 in that scenario. I'd be okay with that as a saints fan.

If that was to happen, I'd be happy to either bank the pick (assume there would still be plenty of talent available at pick 5?) or try to get an A-grader plus young potential A-grader. No idea who though.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For draft watchers, how is next years draftees looking? Should we explore trading for future picks?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    For draft watchers, how is next years draftees looking? Should we explore trading for future picks?
    Next years draft is widely considered better than this one, especially regarding depth. I'd love to see us trade for a future pick or 2. Imagine trading with a Melbourne, Carlton or an Essendon for their next years first round pick, then all the fun of watching where they end up next year, if last we'd have next years pick No.1 on top of our normal picks. With a strong young list, we're better placed than most to take advantage of this new feature.