Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs have a bright future on and off the field says new chief David Stevenson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...5b4161fffe0d35

GRANT BAKERHerald Sun

THE Western Bulldogs’ barnstorming season will translate into record revenue — and a profit.
    In his first interview since taking over as chief executive in August, David Stevenson told the Herald Sun the Dogs would not wait for “equalisation to solve our future” and outlined the club’s strategic aims.
    Stevenson said the Bulldogs:
    HAD made a bold fixture request to the AFL for six Friday night games in 2016.
    WOULD explore trade and free agency as part of an ambition to be a “destination club”.
    AIMED to play two matches a season in Ballarat from 2017.

WOULD work with the AFL to get a better deal from Etihad Stadium.
    Stevenson said he was confident the club would deliver a “strong profit” on the back of improved membership and crowd numbers.
    “To have record membership — over 36,000 — coming off a challenging off-season for us, we’re going to have record revenue this year as well, which is fantastic,” he said.
    “But I also feel really proud that we’re building in the right way — we’re making decisions that are in the long-term interests of the club.”
    Stevenson said it was a “huge focus” for the club not to rely on AFL competitive balance measures.
    He said the club had been lobbying the AFL for a better fixture after being left out of Friday night calculations this season.
    “I think they (AFL) have seen the work that we have done on the field. They also see the confidence we are building off the field and they want to play a role,” he said.

Stevenson said it was encouraging that the club was now retaining its best talent on and off the field.
    “It’s the confidence for Marcus Bontempelli to sign for four years to 2019, for Jake Stringer, Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus — there’s a confidence in our future,” he said.

“I think that comes from great work from (coach) Luke (Beveridge) and the coaching team — but also great work from the entire club, whether it be (recently re-signed) Simon Dalrymple in recruiting, Jason (McCartney) in list management.”
    He said after turning over 11 players last summer, the club was confident in the trajectory of its list.
    “We feel really excited by our current list. We feel confident that if we keep working hard, that we will see strong progression,” he said.
    “But also, we want to be a destination club. We know that there are players who want to come and play for the Western Bulldogs who aren’t today — so we will definitely explore those options, but our strategy is not going to rely on trading and five brand new free agents coming.”
    After recently inking a multimillion-dollar five-year sponsorship deal with the state government, the Dogs will aim to play two matches a season in Ballarat from 2017.
    He said the western corridor was one of Australia’s fastest growing regions.
    “I’m really excited by Ballarat because it is the extension of moving from Footscray to the west of Melbourne and then now into the west of Victoria,” Stevenson said.
    “What I like is that it strategically aligns with the future of where we are trying to take the club.”
    Stevenson said the Dogs “don’t have any plans to grow our gaming business” after recently aborting the Edgewater development were 70 poker machines were to be housed.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weston Bulldogs have a bright future on and off the field says new chief David Stevenson

He is aware of players who want to come to us but haven't yet? Is that what he is saying?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weston Bulldogs have a bright future on and off the field says new chief David Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He is aware of players who want to come to us but haven't yet? Is that what he is saying?
    Hard to read it any other way. Pretty heady stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Looks like we have lined up a few and ready to trade next week
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I'm not so sure that part of the statement's designed to be interpreted so literally.

I took it as a much more general, aspirational take on what we're building rather than a 'wait til you see what's up our sleeve next' kind of boast.

And if was, why would it come from the CEO?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the last line summed it up perfectly .
    Seventy poker machines won't be utilised

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like we have lined up a few and ready to trade next week
    He may not have necessarily meant players for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    He may not have necessarily meant players for this year.
    I am hoping we have.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke very well at the B and F last night. I was suitably impressed.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just digressing slightly, but with the walk to the G being huge I've noticed my New York Mets have a #metsfriday on Twitter .
    It's wearing your colours and posting with them on ( it's trending, whatever that means ) maybe we should look at doing it next season on occasions . Just a thought

14. Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't Collingwood have a couple of poker machine venues, including Hoppers Club?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Don't Collingwood have a couple of poker machine venues, including Hoppers Club?
    Responsible gambling doesn't mean no gambling.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    We have about 70 pokie machines but won't be increasing the numbers. The idea is we won't be promoting gambling or giving prizes etc. The club would love to be weaned off the reliance of the income but it is difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have about 70 pokie machines but won't be increasing the numbers. The idea is we won't be promoting gambling or giving prizes etc. The club would love to be weaned off the reliance of the income but it is difficult.
    According to the HUN today we are looking to sell 70 machines entitlements that were meant for Edgewater.