Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Suckling was fortunate to play in a premiership team but his erratic disposal as witnessed against the Saints would now not fit into the Hawks precise kicking to position. Like the Hawks we need to begin recruiting players who know how to dispose of the ball correctly .Dunkley is another who is flawed in his kicking style unlike Caleb Daniel who has excellent skills.
    I think Dunkley is fine around the ground. Shooting for goal has been erratic.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Suckling was fortunate to play in a premiership team but his erratic disposal as witnessed against the Saints would now not fit into the Hawks precise kicking to position. Like the Hawks we need to begin recruiting players who know how to dispose of the ball correctly .Dunkley is another who is flawed in his kicking style unlike Caleb Daniel who has excellent skills.
    Holy Guacamole, Dunks is doing just fine in his first season. I remember the Mitch Wallis haters in his first year...

3. Likes Mofra, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes while he has run to make position, some players don't have the skills/confidence to make that daring cross ground kick - the kicks need to be precise to not risk a killer turnover. I'll always remember Bob launching a perfect 50 metre kick to a running Easton wood last year, but if guys like M Boyd, Lin Jong and Shane Biggs, for all their other fine qualities, made that attempt it is likely to end badly.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think sometimes while he has run to make position, some players don't have the skills/confidence to make that daring cross ground kick - the kicks need to be precise to not risk a killer turnover. I'll always remember Bob launching a perfect 50 metre kick to a running Easton wood last year, but if guys like M Boyd, Lin Jong and Shane Biggs, for all their other fine qualities, made that attempt it is likely to end badly.
    I think this is the case when they try to kick short 15 metre kicks. Bob is pretty bad as well.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Big game from Suckers this week.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

He is in a bit of a bind because its his ability to hit those dangerous risk-reward targets through the middle of the ground that makes up for his poor skills at the contest. So if he isnt able to, or doesnt dare make those kicks, then why is he in the side?

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty Biggs is a bit of a turn over merchant. He is just as likely to kick it to an opposition player as he is to one of ours, especially on the run. Very handy player but a real flaw in his game. Not sure why he isn't getting more heat for it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    In all honesty Biggs is a bit of a turn over merchant. He is just as likely to kick it to an opposition player as he is to one of ours, especially on the run. Very handy player but a real flaw in his game. Not sure why he isn't getting more heat for it.
    Again its the short kicking, he is a shocker. In last years final he did the same with a kick in and gifted a goal - in a tight match it was not good. On SAturday pretty sure he kicked it to the opposition twice and also a handball.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Suckling should play further down the ground next week, especially if Wood comes back in.

I would like him to help deliver the ball to the forward 50 better than others have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Suckling should play further down the ground next week, especially if Wood comes back in.

I would like him to help deliver the ball to the forward 50 better than others have been.
    Good option. I think he needs a bit of the pressure off from playing down back. I'd like to see him on the wing myself.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Good option. I think he needs a bit of the pressure off from playing down back. I'd like to see him on the wing myself.
    Yes that is what I am thinking - wing

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I think he needs to prove he can kick the football at training. Its not worth playing him if his achilles doesn't allow him to kick it straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    First of all I think he needs to prove he can kick the football at training. Its not worth playing him if his achilles doesn't allow him to kick it straight.
    Obviously I've got no idea of the nature of Suckling's injury, but personally speaking I've had problems with my achilles for a few years now and it doesn't effect my kicking whatsoever, it's running that's the problem. When you kick you aren't stretching the achilles at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Obviously I've got no idea of the nature of Suckling's injury, but personally speaking I've had problems with my achilles for a few years now and it doesn't effect my kicking whatsoever, it's running that's the problem. When you kick you aren't stretching the achilles at all.
    The only counter I can think of to this point is that with the way Suckling kicks who knows what muscles and tendons he uses that most people don't.

Post Thanks / Like

The bloke's a liability at the moment. He's almost the last bloke I want to see with the ball...he makes Jong and Stevens look precise. For someone who was touted as a weapon with his kicking, it's staggering how much he's deteriorated over the season....injury or not.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.