Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Love watching him play, we've missed him.

Smart players who use the ball well are worth their weight in gold and that goal was clutch and outstanding!

Post Thanks / Like

Fair to say he has exceeded our expectations. He is improving his defensive efforts also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see much of him at the Hawks, but he seemed to be on the fringe - more icing than cake.

I've been surprised how committed and involved he's been each week he's played. I was expecting a 15-20 possession type player who floated in and out of the game but he's much, much more than that.

Fantastic pick up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gotta say I had as a dead Cert for that goal. It's nice to have that feeling in a bloke kicking from 50 out at a crunch moment. Plus it was a 60m kick and near enough to dead centre. His kicking generally is as good as anyone we've ever had, some of the kicks he executes seem arrogant and crazy and keeps hitting targets. Was it one of his worm burners today that nearly knocked the marker off his feet?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He's such a smart player. It's that Hawthorn smarts that they've had. His positioning is fantastic.

A few seconds before he marked that ball at the 50, I said to my Dad - 'look at Suckling, quick clearing kick from Collingwood will go straight to him if they get it.' He was just ideally positioned. Nobody either side of him for 10 metres, slightly boundary side and 40 metres back from where the stoppage was happening. I've never been happier for us to lose a clearance.

7. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    He's such a smart player. It's that Hawthorn smarts that they've had. His positioning is fantastic.

A few seconds before he marked that ball at the 50, I said to my Dad - 'look at Suckling, quick clearing kick from Collingwood will go straight to him if they get it.' He was just ideally positioned. Nobody either side of him for 10 metres, slightly boundary side and 40 metres back from where the stoppage was happening. I've never been happier for us to lose a clearance.
    And on the perfect side for his left hoof.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I didn't see much of him at the Hawks, but he seemed to be on the fringe - more icing than cake.

I've been surprised how committed and involved he's been each week he's played. I was expecting a 15-20 possession type player who floated in and out of the game but he's much, much more than that.

Fantastic pick up.
    I think he was that at Hawthorn but he has gone to another level with us. Must really love being at the club and playing with the guys.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy if almost all players taking a set shot 45+ out from goal hand balled to Suckling for a running shot from 55+. The way Stevie J & Buddy (in particular) do to great effect.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to have Suckling joined by JJ after the break for the second half of the year. If we keep these guys fit and firing we're a chance to get some quick movement back and get the penetration by foot and run to get the ball deep and behind pressing defencive structures like the one Collingwood employed Sunday.

13. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He actually crashed a contest and kept the ball in front of him to kill a contest we were outnumbered against.

We knew about his footskills but he's actually bringing experience and positioning to the table. Considering he was a FA signing we've done very well here.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have others noticed how if Suckling ever kicks short - he sprints 50-60m to be an option for either the player he kicked it to, or for the next kick? In a game like yesterday, where it was hard to find options & space, it is really good play.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fascinated with his kicking action on the run. It's almost an American drop punt because he takes it out wide and kind of lets it hang in the air before punting it more than kicking it. It's effective whatever it is.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have others noticed how if Suckling ever kicks short - he sprints 50-60m to be an option for either the player he kicked it to, or for the next kick? In a game like yesterday, where it was hard to find options & space, it is really good play.
    Yep, I've noticed it more than once and it's something the Hawks were good at employing to break through congested presses. A little bit goes a long way in unsettling a defencive structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm fascinated with his kicking action on the run. It's almost an American drop punt because he takes it out wide and kind of lets it hang in the air before punting it more than kicking it. It's effective whatever it is.
    It's not Australian Rules textbook - Wayne Ludbey (HS photographer) tweeted some great photos of his set shot yesterday, and the ball was in mid air around hip height with his hands nowhere near it in one frame. Looks like he leans back a bit at point of contact as well.

He certainly gets it done though - it's awesome!
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed a few times he took the kick in and next thing he is outside the 50 mtr arc providing another option.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.