Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The second kick out of defence is harder than the first and I'd much rather Suckling on that. Having said that, Suckling did take a few yesterday and coaches like to mix things up.
    GWS uses Shaw exclusively and he just kicks it to himself, runs 10 metres then either finds a short target or smashes it long. I'd prefer Suckling do that than Roberts always taking the long option.

Post Thanks / Like

Even his low flat kick under pressure in the backline which released Dickson on the wing and ended up in the Wood goal in the last, few players could have kicked. I thought he was fantastic yesterday and as expected a real weapon at the G. As soon as he took that mark in the last I had a flashback to his goal at 3 quarter time in the prelim last year basically at the same spot which he also kicked. Its nice to know that he can perform when the big moments come around when so many Bulldogs in the past haven't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    GWS uses Shaw exclusively and he just kicks it to himself, runs 10 metres then either finds a short target or smashes it long. I'd prefer Suckling do that than Roberts always taking the long option.
    If you let him, Shaw does, but remember teams give up the easy one between 20 and 40 metres in order to put pressure on the second one and turn it over on the wing and launch again. The second kick out is the most important and I want our best kick on it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you let him, Shaw does, but remember teams give up the easy one between 20 and 40 metres in order to put pressure on the second one and turn it over on the wing and launch again. The second kick out is the most important and I want our best kick on it.
    I can't recall Roberts hitting up and releasing Suckling to take the 2nd kick too often. We miss Bob and JJ for this role.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall Roberts hitting up and releasing Suckling to take the 2nd kick too often. We miss Bob and JJ for this role.
    Roberts' disposal isn't his issue, but I take your point. I also agree we need to get JJ into the side as quickly as possible given Suckling is the only player I trust with that next kick out of defence at present. Teams have shut down Matt Boyd and Biggs really well this year because they're the top echelon of users in our defencive half alongside Suckling, and we need them to be 3 and 4 in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question. Why is Roberts taking kick outs when we have the Suckling leg cannon locked and loaded?
    Speaking of his leg cannon he nearly kicked it to the middle of the ground with one of his kick outs.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I've been to a number of Hawthorn home games and the whole crowd used to wind up when Suckers got it. Like some kind of siren was going off or critical mass was about to be reached until he kicked it.
    It's starting to happen at our games too.

Every time he got near it there were calls of "Suckersss!" and I was one of them!

Post Thanks / Like

I get that the 2nd kick is harder but it is no guarantee we will get it to Suckling for that kick every time.

Hurn and Shaw take their team's kicks. What about other team's with gun kicks in the back line?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I get that the 2nd kick is harder but it is no guarantee we will get it to Suckling for that kick every time.

Hurn and Shaw take their team's kicks. What about other team's with gun kicks in the back line?
    Which is why Suckling will take the kick-out from time to time.

Seriously, what's the level of predictability going to look like if we make Suckling take the majority of kick-outs? This isn't 2008 where a flank is wide open more often than not and a guy like Lindsay Gilbee or Matt Suckling can just pick out targets at will. Teams set up so they can take the best advantage from a kick-out, normally that involves a strategy that gives the best chance of retaining the ball and getting the ball into the hands of the best users in the side. The best kick in the team doesn't need to take the kick that goes to a position on the field in a set piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Which is why Suckling will take the kick-out from time to time.

Seriously, what's the level of predictability going to look like if we make Suckling take the majority of kick-outs? This isn't 2008 where a flank is wide open more often than not and a guy like Lindsay Gilbee or Matt Suckling can just pick out targets at will. Teams set up so they can take the best advantage from a kick-out, normally that involves a strategy that gives the best chance of retaining the ball and getting the ball into the hands of the best users in the side. The best kick in the team doesn't need to take the kick that goes to a position on the field in a set piece.
    It's not just the act of kicking but the decision making also. Roberts isn't confident to execute any type of kick out besides the long option to towards the flanks. Extremely predictable and our best hope is usually to kill the ball and get a stoppage.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just the act of kicking but the decision making also. Roberts isn't confident to execute any type of kick out besides the long option to towards the flanks. Extremely predictable and our best hope is usually to kill the ball and get a stoppage.
    What if that's the plan?

Don't you think that if you or I could figure Suckling kicking out, or someone else kicking out might be better the coaches might have an inclination to try those things as well?

As I said in my previous post, there's a reason why teams give away the first kick out of defence, it's just some teams allow it to go deeper than other teams do. When we want to go long (which is quite often) Fletch suits that plan really well because he is a reasonable to good kick, can kick it long, and has to stay at home once it's done.

I really don't see what the problem is.

Post Thanks / Like

'Suckerssss' is going to be very very important around mid to late September, we just have to get him there.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree about Suckling kicking in more. For one thing, if a guy can kick it anywhere up to 65 metres, it means a broader space for the opposition to cover which opens opportunities. I'd like to see some set plays involving a few 20 metre kickouts to a loose man, then following up and receiving for a long kick beyond the centreline to a designated target. A few of these can mess with opposition defensive structures.

Aside from his disposal, what I am enjoying most about Suckling is the way he has fitted into the team. He seems to be really enjoying it as a Dog and the other players seem to love him being there. Some bigger name recruits can seem a little separate from the team but Suckling looks right at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Agree about Suckling kicking in more. For one thing, if a guy can kick it anywhere up to 65 metres, it means a broader space for the opposition to cover which opens opportunities. I'd like to see some set plays involving a few 20 metre kickouts to a loose man, then following up and receiving for a long kick beyond the centreline to a designated target. A few of these can mess with opposition defensive structures.

Aside from his disposal, what I am enjoying most about Suckling is the way he has fitted into the team. He seems to be really enjoying it as a Dog and the other players seem to love him being there. Some bigger name recruits can seem a little separate from the team but Suckling looks right at home.
    Yeah they seem to love him, and he seems happy to be there. It's win win. Another astute pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of Sucklings great kicking here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.