Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Has to be dropped.

Hopefully he'll respond like Crameri did last year
    Although I agree that he was horrific on Saturday, I reckon he's banked enough goodwill to be backed in for one more game. To me, he appears to have tried to take his game up to a new level. He clearly overreached in doing so, and crashed and burned as a result.

I think he's had his check. His wings have been clipped and he'll pull back to basic fundamentals this week. Besides, we need his experience on Friday.

2. Likes Ozza, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like to see him dropped. Think Bailey Dale can give us the same, with better intensity.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Like to see him dropped. Think Bailey Dale can give us the same, with better intensity.
    Lol.

When has Bailey shown:

1/ the ability to win the ball
    2/ the ability to defend

5. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling is turning into the whipping boy because he's errors stick out like dogs.... He wasn't our only problem Saturday night. Jong, Stevens, Wallis and Libba failing to make any impact didn't help also.

He's had a couple of bad games lately, Saturday night and the Sydney game spring to mind. But he's also had some very good performances, was our best against Geelong, Was very good last week against Gold Coast and was very good again against Richmond.

No doubt Saturday night was a horror match from him. The mistakes he made were horrific. I think that in itself will be a wake up call for him.

No way would I be dropping him though. As others have stated he has actually been pretty good defensively, which many thought would be his downfall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    Suckling is turning into the whipping boy because he's errors stick out like dogs.... He wasn't our only problem Saturday night. Jong, Stevens, Wallis and Libba failing to make any impact didn't help also.

He's had a couple of bad games lately, Saturday night and the Sydney game spring to mind. But he's also had some very good performances, was our best against Geelong, Was very good last week against Gold Coast and was very good again against Richmond.

No doubt Saturday night was a horror match from him. The mistakes he made were horrific. I think that in itself will be a wake up call for him.

No way would I be dropping him though. As others have stated he has actually been pretty good defensively, which many thought would be his downfall.
    Balanced post. I agree he had a mare Saturday night but overall I have been very pleased with his year so far. Doubt he will get dropped and nor does he deserve to be.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Won't be and I hope he's not. He shanked three kicks and had a bad game but he has been very good for us all year. That's the way he plays and Bevo knows it and he's not going to drop a player for three errant kicks. It's not the reason we lost. Barrett is way off the mark stating that for each one of Suckling's great kicks there are three bad ones. I've hardly seen him miss all year.

Plus, aside from the shanks he was ok defensively on Saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Although I agree that he was horrific on Saturday, I reckon he's banked enough goodwill to be backed in for one more game. To me, he appears to have tried to take his game up to a new level. He clearly overreached in doing so, and crashed and burned as a result.

I think he's had his check. His wings have been clipped and he'll pull back to basic fundamentals this week. Besides, we need his experience on Friday.
    I'm not so sure that he's built that much good will. I feel he's been very costly the last month or so. I don't have a problem so much with his defending as I do his inability to consistently hit targets. And I don't mean the occasional brilliant kick that may or may not come off, I mean the basics. Maybe it's that teams have figured out he has to kick around the corner and certainly has no right foot and they're better able to pressure his kicks?

Whatever it is he's been underwhelming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post

He's being picked on because of his terrible decision making/basic skill execution and because of his refusal to commit his body. Those other players you mentioned aren't being singled out because there isn't any problem with their effort, and nor do they try to be too clever or cute. Let's keep a sense of perspective on this rather than say he's a "whipping boy". He's deserving of the whack he's getting.

He has had some very good games for us, and when his kicking is on it's sublime. We picked him up for those reasons, and not at a cheap price, so it's fair enough that he shoulders some attention when he's not doing his bit.

I hope the coach has had some stern words for him and her responds with a solid game this week, because I think he has been poor for a number of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's being picked on because of his terrible decision making/basic skill execution and because of his refusal to commit his body. Those other players you mentioned aren't being singled out because there isn't any problem with their effort, and nor do they try to be too clever or cute. Let's keep a sense of perspective on this rather than say he's a "whipping boy". He's deserving of the whack he's getting.

He has had some very good games for us, and when his kicking is on it's sublime. We picked him up for those reasons, and not at a cheap price, so it's fair enough that he shoulders some attention when he's not doing his bit.

I hope the coach has had some stern words for him and her responds with a solid game this week, because I think he has been poor for a number of weeks.
    Spot on EW, some of the kicking on Saturday was woeful. It was his worse game and we know he can do better. I am sure he would be disappointed with himself and will work on it and come out Friday with a better effort.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be and I hope he's not. He shanked three kicks and had a bad game but he has been very good for us all year. That's the way he plays and Bevo knows it and he's not going to drop a player for three errant kicks. It's not the reason we lost. Barrett is way off the mark stating that for each one of Suckling's great kicks there are three bad ones. I've hardly seen him miss all year.

Plus, aside from the shanks he was ok defensively on Saturday night.
    I hear you but the wins have covered up some very poor games by Suckling. I don't think he has played as well in recent weeks as you seem to indicate.

I expect more from him but I agree he is unlikely to be dropped.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Seen Bailey play? Gotta a few weaknesses in his game .
    Suckling had a shocker, but dropping him is a bit of a knee jerk reaction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I hear you but the wins have covered up some very poor games by Suckling. I don't think he has played as well in recent weeks as you seem to indicate.

I expect more from him but I agree he is unlikely to be dropped.
    I still wonder whether that is because of his limitations as a player or whether he is still finding his way through our systems. So many times I have watched him gut run to make space on the fat side of the ground yet he is often ignored, and at times he has looked frustrated by this. I wonder also whether this is a player vision issue or whether Suckling is in the wrong spot [or a better option present itself up the ground].

Either way I think he works hard to find space but he does seem intent on providing only one option and that is to switch. I would like to see him more onside of the player with the ball. I think that will bring him into the game more, will put him in more attacking positions and probably allow him to hit up targets directly inside F50.

The on field frustration tells me he wants to be more involved. I think he'll prove his worth when the heat is on ala. the Geelong game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Suckling should be on a back flank or wing hitting our forwards or kicking long goals not kicking out at fullback. Murph and Adams missing has pushed him back and errors on the backline multiply twice as bad as it usually results in an opposition goal.
    If suckling kicks long from fullback it is ok but not the dinky kicks others can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Suckling won't be dropped going by Bevo's presser, said he had an off night and it's been reviewed and excepts he'll be better this week.
    Lose translation
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

So many times I have watched him gut run to make space on the fat side of the ground yet he is often ignored, and at times he has looked frustrated by this. I wonder also whether this is a player vision issue or whether Suckling is in the wrong spot [or a better option present itself up the ground.
    Same thing use to happen to Grant last year. I think it is our own players not looking for all the options.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Suckling won't be dropped going by Bevo's presser, said he had an off night and it's been reviewed and excepts he'll be better this week.
    Lose translation
    Suckling was fortunate to play in a premiership team but his erratic disposal as witnessed against the Saints would now not fit into the Hawks precise kicking to position. Like the Hawks we need to begin recruiting players who know how to dispose of the ball correctly .Dunkley is another who is flawed in his kicking style unlike Caleb Daniel who has excellent skills.