Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Suckling should play further down the ground next week, especially if Wood comes back in.

I would like him to help deliver the ball to the forward 50 better than others have been.
    Totally agree. He should line up in the cheer squad.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    The bloke's a liability at the moment. He's almost the last bloke I want to see with the ball...he makes Jong and Stevens look precise. For someone who was touted as a weapon with his kicking, it's staggering how much he's deteriorated over the season....injury or not.
    He's a great kick but a player who is making more poor decisions than he should.
    He's trying to do the spectacular more than he should.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Obviously I've got no idea of the nature of Suckling's injury, but personally speaking I've had problems with my achilles for a few years now and it doesn't effect my kicking whatsoever, it's running that's the problem. When you kick you aren't stretching the achilles at all.
    Yeah interesting point. Continuity is a big thing in footy and he and Stevens have both struggled for it this year which surely hadn't helped. They were both very poor on the weekend I can understand if both are left out against WcE.

Post Thanks / Like

Facing his old team in a cut throat final. I wonder if he's the player that elevates his game playing against his old team mates, or fizzes? I'm hoping it's the former and his long kicking on the MCG is what we all hope it can be.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He stresses me out.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    He stresses me out.
    What was with his sprayed torp into the corridor? Does some crazy things.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And Josh Hill out bodying him in the square.

Not sold on him in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Solid arguments for him playing on the wing, or high half forward.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

Not sold on him in our best 22.
    Yep, both were him stuffing up. But, as a footy club we can't afford to hang people for missing a long mongrel forward when it goes inside accidentally, when the instruction to bail out with is long mongrel.

Also, Hill had the clear position and clean ball in and Suckling was either going to infringe or do what he did. Not everyone's Dale Morris, Josh Hill's a smart player and not an effort player which is why he gets a game.

The rest of Suckling's game was quite good. You don't hang a bloke for two questionable efforts in a 47 point win, especially when that person actually contributed in other ways.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes bulldogtragic, merantau, Go_Dogs, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, both were him stuffing up. But, as a footy club we can't afford to hang people for missing a long mongrel forward when it goes inside accidentally, when the instruction to bail out with is long mongrel.

Also, Hill had the clear position and clean ball in and Suckling was either going to infringe or do what he did. Not everyone's Dale Morris, Josh Hill's a smart player and not an effort player which is why he gets a game.

The rest of Suckling's game was quite good. You don't hang a bloke for two questionable efforts in a 47 point win, especially when that person actually contributed in other ways.
    He was particularly good at competing aerially in the first half across our half forward line. Didn't allow WC an easy mark to relieve the pressure on multiple occasions.

Would love to see him have a game like Brodie Smith had tonight. Plenty of clean ball and fresh air in front of him, rather than constantly being under pressure deep inside defensive 50.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with jeemak on this one. Apart from those two incidents I thought Suckling was pretty solid. Wrapped up Darling to snuff out goal and he kicked safely into the corridor a couple of times to get us moving forward. Definitely earned his keep this week.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I'm with jeemak on this one. Apart from those two incidents I thought Suckling was pretty solid. Wrapped up Darling to snuff out goal and he kicked safely into the corridor a couple of times to get us moving forward. Definitely earned his keep this week.
    Why just this one merantau?

I want you to be with me all the time. No questions asked, thanks very much.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I nearly blew my lid at the 1 on 1 with Josh Hill moment, and the sprayed torp - once I re-watched the game, he was actually pretty good overall.

I think we should continue to play him.

If not for his playing ability - but also just in case he is one of these lucky blokes who just falls a$$ backwards into premierships as somewhere between their 18th & 22nd best player!! He just seems like that type.

Like a Martin Pike - who was admittedly a better footballer than Suckling - but how's his good fortune;
    Isn't selected as one of the 8 players to go to Brisbane after the Fitzroy takeoever, ends up at North and in 4 years there, plays in 2 grand finals with one premiership. Delisted due to 'poor form' (but really discipline issues, butting heads with senior administration & coaches, and an incident on an end of season trip) and Brisbane pick him up before the 2001 season! Timing is everything! 4 more GF's, 3 premierships - and he ends up a 4 time premiership player.

So maybe Suckling will be our Martin Pike...coming off 2 flags (one as the sub!) he wins 3 more here.....

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    As much as I nearly blew my lid at the 1 on 1 with Josh Hill moment, and the sprayed torp - once I re-watched the game, he was actually pretty good overall.

I think we should continue to play him.

If not for his playing ability - but also just in case he is one of these lucky blokes who just falls a$$ backwards into premierships as somewhere between their 18th & 22nd best player!! He just seems like that type.

Like a Martin Pike - who was admittedly a better footballer than Suckling - but how's his good fortune;
    Isn't selected as one of the 8 players to go to Brisbane after the Fitzroy takeoever, ends up at North and in 4 years there, plays in 2 grand finals with one premiership. Delisted due to 'poor form' (but really discipline issues, butting heads with senior administration & coaches, and an incident on an end of season trip) and Brisbane pick him up before the 2001 season! Timing is everything! 4 more GF's, 3 premierships - and he ends up a 4 time premiership player.

So maybe Suckling will be our Martin Pike...coming off 2 flags (one as the sub!) he wins 3 more here.....

Matt Suckling 5 time premiership player, wow. That puts him in with some pretty prestigious company! They'll put a statue of him at the G. I like it.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's been carrying that Achilles for awhile