Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Could force Boyd out of the side next year between him and JJ and if Biggs and Webb can step up.
    I think Suckling gives us far more flexibility with Biggs, JJ, and Webb to shuffle them around between BP and Wing.

Boyd continues to defy what everyone thought he could achieve as an AFL player with his longevity - I wouldnt bet against him being an important cog again next year.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The big positive is that he's not a fringe player, and our clubs attracted a decent player from a power club ( when they're winning)
    That's a canon that left peg, and with a few oldies down back, he fits that in between mould .
    Three years seems pretty decent also

Post Thanks / Like

Very much looking forward to the inside 50's to our supremely talented forward line.

Welcome aboard suckers.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we might want to play him as a high half forward/second wingman? His ball use going into the F50 would be dangerous, and he's capable of slotting them himself from 50-60m.

Happy enough with the signing, he can be cream on the cake. Just hope we address some of our genuine list weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Well his highlights certainly look good

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/20...tthew-suckling
    &

For those like me who don't watch much non-Western Bulldogs AFL but don't want to watch a bunch of Hawks highlights the quick summation is long goals from outside 50, backing his pace against opponents and pinpoint passes.

Obviously doesn't give the full picture but it's nice to focus on the positives of the move at this point of the (pre-)season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I think Suckling gives us far more flexibility with Biggs, JJ, and Webb to shuffle them around between BP and Wing.

Boyd continues to defy what everyone thought he could achieve as an AFL player with his longevity - I wouldnt bet against him being an important cog again next year.
    I wouldn't bet against Matt Boyd willing himself to grow 30 centremetres over the preseason and fixing our ruck problem.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    What number will he wear?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I think 20 is currently the lowest number available
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

10. Likes N/A, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I wonder if we might want to play him as a high half forward/second wingman? His ball use going into the F50 would be dangerous, and he's capable of slotting them himself from 50-60m.

Happy enough with the signing, he can be cream on the cake. Just hope we address some of our genuine list weaknesses.
    Tend to agree on all of that. He's another outside running option with good foot skills.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

According to a couple of my hawthorn supporting mates he mainly played that role this year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice leg cannon.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I think 20 is currently the lowest number available
    20 has been a problem number. It could do with shoring up with a good player

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Nice leg cannon.
    And a good long shot for goal from a set shot too.

Post Thanks / Like

I see him more on the wing, being a danger 50-60 from goal. Replacing Grant.

Post Thanks / Like

Is only a good player in a good side, which we now are. Not unhappy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Could force Boyd out of the side next year between him and JJ and if Biggs and Webb can step up.
    .. bit premature ? just over a month ago Boyd is in the AllAustralian squad...Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. All Australian 2009, 2011. 18 games in 2015. 306 kicks, 144 marks, 189 handballs, averaging 17.0 kicks, 8.0 marks, 10.5 handballs. One Goal, Six Behinds. 24 Clearances, 44 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 38 Tackles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    .. bit premature ? just over a month ago Boyd is in the AllAustralian squad...Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. All Australian 2009, 2011. 18 games in 2015. 306 kicks, 144 marks, 189 handballs, averaging 17.0 kicks, 8.0 marks, 10.5 handballs. One Goal, Six Behinds. 24 Clearances, 44 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 38 Tackles.

But still Boyd is the type of player we should be looking at giving a soft landing to along with guys like Morris. Whether it's next year or the year after rather than them go from 22 game players to retiring I'd rather see them going from 12-15 game players into retirement with a replacement in place we have seen perform and can be confident will step in and do the job with a minimum of disruption. We should be planning the same for Murph but Murph is unique. I think the plan is that just keeps on playing forever.