Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Happy that we've locked in Suckling.

He'll compliment what we have nicely given his speed and ability to kick long and really open the game up. As we saw with a few blokes who played that kind of role throughout the year, the coach is prepared for a few mistakes to be made when we roll the dice and move the ball quickly. I'm sure he'll make a few errors, but more importantly, he will be another bloke the opposition need to worry about. Perhaps this allows Murph more time forward too.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really seen enough of Suckling to be excited or not. What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move? Time will tell I suppose.

Anyhow welcome to the kennel Matt Suckling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I haven't really seen enough of Suckling to be excited or not. What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move? Time will tell I suppose.

Anyhow welcome to the kennel Matt Suckling.
    From what I've heard is that he's been on a two week full on boozy bender since he won the premiership. When his hang over clears he's going to have a big surprise and some photos of he and Jason Macca signing a contract at Crown in front of that touring Vegas Elvis wedding celebrant.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 11-10-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes soupman, Twodogs, chef, craigsahibee, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tweet from Suckling:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes chef, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move?
    My understanding is that he stayed on crazy small money (relative to his ability) in order to remain at the Hawks for team success. Now that he's achieved that he's looking for coin that is commensurate with his value, and hopefully more success at another club.

Salary cap is finally starting to bite at Glenferrie.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont like 'barometer' players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    .. bit premature ? just over a month ago Boyd is in the AllAustralian squad...Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. All Australian 2009, 2011. 18 games in 2015. 306 kicks, 144 marks, 189 handballs, averaging 17.0 kicks, 8.0 marks, 10.5 handballs. One Goal, Six Behinds. 24 Clearances, 44 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 38 Tackles.

You forgot an important stat. Age 33. As much as we'd love him to continue on forever at some stage he will get too old to play. For many players this happens almost overnight and you go from being AA to being finished. We have to be planning for this.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good get. Underrated player who makes a big contribution to the Hawks' key area of strength. He's got a laser of a left foot which is invaluable out of defence. His kicking is damn close to the Gilbee level. That's invaluable.

I am chuffed that the gods have conspired to see Talia's woeful kicking skills removed from our squad and for them to be replaced with some elite ones. Another small step on the road to success, as I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Dogs. Was glad to hear this news. He looks quick, brave and experienced. Comes from a winning culture.
    Does he have a nickname?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well done Dogs. Was glad to hear this news. He looks quick, brave and experienced. Comes from a winning culture.
    Does he have a nickname?
    Surely Pig or Piggy.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

14. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I see him more on the wing, being a danger 50-60 from goal. Replacing Grant.
    Grant can also be a dangerous forward.

In 2015, Dale got 10 games, Honeychurch 11 games, Prudden 4 games, Darley 2 games, Hrovat 7 games, Pearce 1 game, Roarke Smith 1 game, Clay Smith 3 games (including him because we don't know what the future holds for him AFL-wise), Goodes 7 games. That is 46 games from players that either won't be there in 2016 or that Suckling would be a strong challenge to be selected ahead of.

Plenty of opportunity for Suckers without Mikey having to be let go.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Mind you, there is the excellent prospect of 22+ games from Libba jnr to come off that tally of 46 games.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Does he have a nickname?
    It's actually Sucky...! Kid you not!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Grant can also be a dangerous forward.
    I gotta say I am pretty glad we are not offering him a contract (seemingly unless it's strictly under our conditions).

Basically he is a winger/forward who:
    - is just about league worst level for goal kick reliability
    - struggles to find the ball
    - not a great field kick

They are some pretty glaring decencies. I feel his fans rate him higher based on low expectation.

19. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling wins the ball off half back, Stringer/Boyd do a double lead....Hopefully our forwards develop an understanding with Spit Roast.
    Footscray Football Republic.