Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I gotta say I am pretty glad we are not offering him a contract (seemingly unless it's strictly under our conditions).

Basically he is a winger/forward who:
    - is just about league worst level for goal kick reliability
    - struggles to find the ball
    - not a great field kick

They are some pretty glaring decencies. I feel his fans rate him higher based on low expectation.
    I reckon there is a spot for him on the list next year on our terms. At the moment we have 2 more vacancies on the senior list. Then Talia looks like being traded and there are one or two others (probably from the smaller to medium mids group) who may be shopped around. We could have a 5 places senior list refreshment, plus 3 rookies without letting Grant go.

Rocco, I'm not the biggest fan of Grant. I just reckon he is worth more than a 3rd round compensation pick (pick 45+) which is what appears to be on offer at best given his low currency. If there is no RFA interest, we keep him on a one year minimum contract wage.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I like that we have attracted a two-time premiership player who is an elite long kick. I like that Luke Beveridge obviously rates him as he has shown really good judgement in his first year as coach.
    Re J. Grant. I would keep him on a one-year ccontract. There is something about him that sets him apart. He's an enigma, encased in a puzzle stored in a box labeled "mecurial". But, I am running out of patience with him so definitely his last chance to really make a name for himself.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if someone got in before me, but I just read Suckling will be on around $1milllion over the three years.

MATTHEW Suckling will officially become a Western Bulldog on Monday after a year-long scouting mission from his former assistant coach Luke Beveridge.

Dogs senior coach Beveridge issued his list manager Jason McCartney the task of researching Suckling after the pair formed a close relationship at Hawthorn.

Beveridge believed 27-year-old Suckling’s daring style of play and versatility would help the Dogs but it was only three weeks ago they believed they could snare him.

McCartney said on Sunday the Dogs had feared he would accept an offer from Brisbane, putting their own intensive research to waste.

Dual Hawthorn premiership player Suckling will sign a three-year deal of around $1 million, which presents good value for the Dogs.

“When Bevo started he had a relationship with him and he was keen for me to do some work on him,’’ McCartney said on Sunday.

“With these things it is never easy to get them across the line but Luke had coached him as a line coach.

“Live viewings are important so we would have had at least 10 live viewings of him this year.

“We did some work early then parked it thinking it was more likely he would go to Brisbane with what they were putting forward.

“It became apparent three weeks ago Brisbane had changed their strategy and understanding Hawthorn’s situation with the players they had recontracted, we had a big opportunity there.”

Suckling’s deal could present the Hawks with a free agency compensation selection after their second round pick, currently at pick 38.

The Dogs will lodge the papers for unrestricted free agent Suckling on Monday.

Beveridge’s side thrived this year with an array of run-and-gun small defenders in All Australians Robert Murphy and Easton Wood as well as Jason Johannisen and Matthew Boyd.

But the Dogs believe Suckling can start on a wing or release Johannisen and Shane Biggs if they are to push into the midfield.

“He started the year as a high defender and spend the last two thirds of the year on the wing and as a half forward getting up high,’’ McCartney said.

“We think he will play wing and back initially but he can play all parts of the ground.”

McCartney said the Dogs would consider a trade for a key back or ruckman but would be extremely selective about their needs.

“We are open minded but we will be very selective. We won’t be doing anything for the sake of it.”

The AFL’s investigation into information sharing between the Talia brothers continues to run, jeopardising a trade for Dogs defender Michael Talia.

Sydney showed interest in him halfway through the year but no trade has progressed given the AFL’s investigation.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

4. Thanks azabob, Bulldog Revolution, The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for posting, Andrew.

Less than $350K per year is great value, I would have thought.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cheers for posting, Andrew.

Less than $350K per year is great value, I would have thought.
    When you pry a good player from a champion team under free agency, you'd expect to pay a fair bit more than $330-350,000.

That's only 1/3 Tom Boyd
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very reasonable contract. Hopefully it turns out to be a good bit of business.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    That's a very reasonable contract. Hopefully it turns out to be a good bit of business.
    Yep, more than fair for a player with his skill set and at his age. Can only imagine how underpaid he was at Hawthorn.

This looks and smells like good business, measured and calculated.

10. Likes azabob, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We can't say he's left them for massive money as he could've to Brisbane no doubt. You'd think he would've gotten another $100,000 a year at least from them. This to me looks like a bloke who wants to win more premierships and is taking a reasonable wage to do that in that it allows us to keep signing the guns he will play beside. This is a mark of confidence by Matt and an immediate act from him which gets respect from me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Very pleased with that, we've lured a pretty good player from a very good team on an AFL average wage

Post Thanks / Like

Two Sucklings for the price of one Carlisle... Any day of the week, thanks!

Get something better than a dog turd for Talia, and we're flying.

$700k p.a. For Carlislecertainly puts some perspective on what a bargain Geelong would be getting Dangerfield for.. Carlisle couldn't lace Dangerfield's boots.. At the very least, Geelong are having to give up some trade currency for Dangerfield..

..but, all that aside, good, good business by the Dogs with Suckling. We've strengthened at little to no cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be on a smaller contract with a shorter length of time than Jake Melksham. Unbelievable really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Will be on a smaller contract with a shorter length of time than Jake Melksham. Unbelievable really.
    But Paul Roos.

Great get by the club at that price, very happy. If only we can find a quality key defender..

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, more than fair for a player with his skill set and at his age. Can only imagine how underpaid he was at Hawthorn.

This looks and smells like good business, measured and calculated.
    When I read that he'd been taking unders at Hawthorn and was accepting a bigger contract with us I was thinking 450 with 500 for one year. I don't think Matthew Suckling will be very happy seeing his wages printed in the paper but I am.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Add Jeremy Howe to that list .
    Good piece of business by the dogs, and comes across as a pretty decent bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We can't say he's left them for massive money as he could've to Brisbane no doubt. You'd think he would've gotten another $100,000 a year at least from them. This to me looks like a bloke who wants to win more premierships and is taking a reasonable wage to do that in that it allows us to keep signing the guns he will play beside. This is a mark of confidence by Matt and an immediate act from him which gets respect from me.
    I would presume Brisbane offered way more, and it looked like he was going there a few weeks ago.
    I wouldn't underestimate the relationship between Matt and Luke Beveridge