Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs could be a premiership contender in 2016 - by Buckenara

Link

THE Western Bulldogs have one of the most exciting lists in the competition.

It’s not an earth shattering statement after the season the Dogs just had I know, but the reality is they are very well set up for success — and it might be sooner than you think.

I know Bulldogs fans don’t want to get their hopes up and I don’t blame them, but don’t be surprised if the Dogs are right there at the end of September next year.

Next year they could do what Hawthorn did in 2008. I see a lot of similarities between the two.

Overall, the Bulldogs’ list is well balanced. They have a good mix of some experience and some exciting young talent they’ve added in the last few years. They’re well set up for some sustained success.

Marcus Bontempelli is easily one of the most exciting young players in the AFL, Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore are guns and so is Jake Stringer. Luke Dahlhaus is exciting, Easton Wood is now an All-Australian defender, Tory Dickson never misses a shot on goal, Jason Johannisen loves to run and Liam Picken has turned himself into a damaging ball-winner.

Add the classy ball use and finishing of Matthew Suckling to the experience of Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris and Picken and those are great role models and on-field leaders and contributors who can show these young kids how to become masters of their craft.

Actually, I’ll go as far as saying that the Dogs have the best young list out of the Melbourne-based clubs.

The big one for the Bulldogs is Tom Boyd.

They’ve made a huge investment in the former No. 1 draft pick, and from next year on, they need to start seeing some dividends.

The forward line was dangerous in 2015 with Stringer, Dickson, Dahlhaus, Stewart Crameri and Jack Redpath playing that big forward role, but from now on it needs to be Boyd.

He needs to come to grips with the pressure that came with that big deal because he’s a better player than one that just runs around in the VFL, even in this early stage of his career.

To be successful, the Dogs need Boyd to become Tom Hawkins. He doesn’t need to take every mark, but he has to bring the ball to ground for those dangerous players like Stringer, Dahlhaus and Dickson.

A dangerous Boyd takes the pressure off Stringer because he can be play as a second forward who is athletic and take marks on the lead and kick goals from ground level, but doesn’t have to shoulder the whole load.

When I was at the Hawks, we had a breakout season in 2007 when we won a final and lost the following week, but it gave the guys experience and belief for the following year. It’s no secret that premiership came earlier than we expected.

The same could happen at the Dogs, despite the fact they did get beaten by Adelaide in the elimination final.

But the challenges will come — more scrutiny on how they play, more analysis on the players, a tougher draw — and some players can find that hard to deal with. But Luke Beveridge and his coaches will prepare them well for that over the pre-season.

WHAT THEY NEED

Key-position defenders, a ruckman and some more players with outside speed and endurance with good ball use is needed going forward, but overall the list is in good shape. They need Jordan Roughead to get his body right and slot into a key defensive post more regularly, even though they do have a back six that works well together.

There are five players who are 30 years or older — Murphy, Morris, Boyd, Picken and Minson — so there needs to be an eye on replacing those.

I think that will happen through trading or free agency because the Dogs have gone to the draft in the past few season and have really nailed those picks, so managing the list will be about filling the holes with experienced players.

Having said that, they can’t ignore the draft because you do still need to keep injecting young talent at the same time.

WHO’S UNDER THE PUMP

The biggest guy under the pump next season is Boyd but outside of him, Shane Biggs and Josh Prudden need to take another couple of steps if they’re to keep their place in this very talented young team.

Also, he’s not necessarily under the pump but I wanted to make mention of young Clay Smith, who has been so unlucky with his serious knee injuries. He’s a good in-and-under type and a good young player. It’s a real shame what’s happened to him.

Unfortunately for him, he’s the type of player they can actually cover so when he does get back, hopefully he can show why he is rated highly.

WHO SHOULD GO

Ayce Cordy, Sam Darley, Matthew Fuller, Brett Goodes, Daniel Pearce and Jordan Kelly are already gone and I think they made the right calls on those guys. But I’ve also got question marks on Shane Biggs, Declan Hamilton and Josh Prudden.

Prudden finally made his debut this season but he’s been around since the end of 2012 and I’m not sure what he adds, given the talent they’ve got.

CRYSTAL BALL

It’s all about Tom Boyd. If he becomes the player were all think he will, that’s a huge boost to the Bulldogs’ structure and its ability to achieve the sustained success I can see in the future.

There is that argument that the rich clubs get richer with free agency, but I believe that the Bulldogs could be big beneficiaries of free agency because of what they’re building.

In two or three years, they can get experienced players to fill areas that need to be bolstered, which will keep them in the window and keep them very competitive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks KT31, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs could be a premiership contender in 2016 - by Buckenara

Great article and I agree with Bucky I think we can win it

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bullish assessment by Bucky because we do have a lot of gaps within the list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough putting some heat on Prudden who probably needs to improve next year to stay on the list, but what's he got against Biggs?

His place on the list beyond next year isn't assured but I thought he showed plenty in the last part of the season. If he continues in 2016 in the same fashion he won't have anything to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fair enough putting some heat on Prudden who probably needs to improve next year to stay on the list, but what's he got against Biggs?

His place on the list beyond next year isn't assured but I thought he showed plenty in the last part of the season. If he continues in 2016 in the same fashion he won't have anything to worry about.
    I think he got the Biggs one wrong but I do believe Prudden was lucky to be maintained.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Huge difference in articles at the same time last year, I will take all the positive articles and then some.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Good article except for being a bit harsh on Biggs and Hamilton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Good article except for being a bit harsh on Biggs and Hamilton.
    I'm a big Biggs fan but I don't see what others have in Hamilton, hard to judge a kid on one year though
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm a big Biggs fan but I don't see what others have in Hamilton, hard to judge a kid on one year though
    I think there are question marks on Biggs, Hamilton and Prudden. Biggs showed a bit when he got his chance, but needs to go on with it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Re Hamilton what I meant was it is too early to tell yet.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're focusing on a guy who had a great first year with us (Biggs) and another who hasn't played a game yet it means your list management decisions have been pretty sound. Bucky clutching at straws to find list cloggers = there are few negatives.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice article, but I think we've got more holes to fill.
    I think it's also important that we just don't bring in anybody to fill a need .

Post Thanks / Like

Gee wiz is Biggs dating his daughter or something. I thought Biggs played pretty good late in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If you're focusing on a guy who had a great first year with us (Biggs) and another who hasn't played a game yet it means your list management decisions have been pretty sound. Bucky clutching at straws to find list cloggers = there are few negatives.
    He should have pointed at Jong, Hrovat & Campbell, they have been around much longer
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    He should have pointed at Jong, Hrovat & Campbell, they have been around much longer
    Definitely the ones I would have looked at for players needing to take the next step.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.