Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

scandalous trade.

Hey Woofers, I'm outraged and flabbergasted by Carlton's 'mega trade' with GWS.

It's bordering on...........no wait.......it's well within the borders of criminal.

I demand another pasty, lukewarm, drawn out, useless AFL investigation.

Carlton GET pick 8. Plowman (pick3) Jed Lamb (21), Liam Sumner (pick 10). And Phillips (pick 97)

They give up Geelong's next year first round pick (currently 8, but I'd expect that pick will be worth less next year), pick 28. 77 and 95.

I don't have the AFL draft pick points system calculator in front of me but that deal reeks of corruption somehow, someway, somewhere.

Can someone in the know crunch the numbers on the points system the afl has introduced.......I'd be staggered if this wasn't monumentally out of balance.

I'm also a little disappointed we didn't throw a pick at Plowman.

Carlton basically got him for absolutely nothing. NOTHING!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: scandalous trade.

SoS understood GWS's need to reduce their list and interest in upcoming academy players better than most outside the Club. GWS pick up 677 points for pick 28 (nothing for 77 or 95), importantly reduce their list of 4 players but I suspect for GWS of most value is picking up Geelong's first rounder for next year which they've somewhat gambled on meeting their need for an academy player who may or may not get a bid on from a rival Club next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Douggy, they have all proven to be duds. Here is the AFL site's recap of the deal:

... the Blues... on-traded pick No.28 together with No.77, 95 and Geelong's 2016 first-round pick (acquired in the Lachie Henderson trade) to Greater Western Sydney for Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips and Liam Sumner and pick No.8.

Ploughman, a former number 3 pick, has played 20 games in 3 years for an average of 10 disposals per game. He is characterised as moving like a turtle and being slow to dispose of the ball.

Lamb, already dumped by the Swans in 2013 has played 22 games in 3 seasons and averages 10 disposals per game.

Sumner, 12 games in 3 years, averaging 9 disposals per game.

Phillips, 14 games in 4 years, averaging 7 disposals per game.

All this and in a bottom team where the competition for a spot hasn't been that great.

Quantity, not quality.

And they have given up Henderson, Bell and Menzel, continuing their penchant of recent seasons for giving away their good players for speculative gains.

There are a lot of dud trades going down this year because there are a bunch of clubs who are desperate to be seen to be doing something. Anything.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

4. Likes craigsahibee, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Douggy, they have all proven to be duds. Here is the AFL site's recap of the deal:

... the Blues... on-traded pick No.28 together with No.77, 95 and Geelong's 2016 first-round pick (acquired in the Lachie Henderson trade) to Greater Western Sydney for Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips and Liam Sumner and pick No.8.

Ploughman, a former number 3 pick, has played 20 games in 3 years for an average of 10 disposals per game. He is characterised as moving like a turtle and being slow to dispose of the ball.

Lamb, already dumped by the Swans in 2013 has played 22 games in 3 seasons and averages 10 disposals per game.

All this and in a bottom team where the competition for a spot hasn't been that great.

Quantity, not quality.

And they have given up Henderson, Bell and Menzel, continuing their penchant of recent seasons for giving away their good players for speculative gains.

There are a lot of dud trades going down this year because there are a bunch of clubs who are desperate to be seen to be doing something. Anything.
    I hope you're right. If they are all duds that would be great. Trading out Menzel already. wow.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pick 28 for Plowman really, and nothing was stopping anyone else from trading for him
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is most of those selections are monopoly selections. GWS had 95% of all the draft picks so a pick 3 might as well be a second rounder. You are still in the same huge batch of kids selected by one club that had most of the picks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The thing is most of those selections are monopoly selections. GWS had 95% of all the draft picks so a pick 3 might as well be a second rounder. You are still in the same huge batch of kids selected by one club that had most of the picks.
    Plowman's from 2012 where he was pick 3 and GWS didn't have another pick until 12
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

They're all ordinary players. Plowman might make it as a bit of a journeyman, but the rest won't.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Carlton's ins vs outs (they traded the players who finished 3rd, 4th and 5th on their goalkicking list) and their list looks substantially worse after this trade period - and they traded out a first rounder next year to get it all done.

I don't like Carlton but almost feel sorry for them. Well, not almost but they're screwed for a decade.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    They're all ordinary players. Plowman might make it as a bit of a journeyman, but the rest won't.
    I still don't get how they end up with pick 8 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

Quantity, not quality.

And they still have Liam Jones.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

13. Likes Sedat, bornadog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    And they still have Liam Jones.
    3 year contract.
    Fricken' hilarious.
    10th on their goalkicking list (with 7)

15. Likes N/A, Drunken Bum, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Look at Carlton's ins vs outs (they traded the players who finished 3rd, 4th and 5th on their goalkicking list) and their list looks substantially worse after this trade period - and they traded out a first rounder next year to get it all done.

I don't like Carlton but almost feel sorry for them. Well, not almost but they're screwed for a decade.
    You've missed the genius in their approach. They plundered the list of a club that finished 11th and poached half a dozen players that couldn't get a regular game. They're going to be a powerhouse in 2 years
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

17. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    You've missed the genius in their approach. They plundered the list of a club that finished 11th and poached half a dozen players that couldn't get a regular game. They're going to be a powerhouse in 2 years
    Many of whom are players that wouldn't have been on the list of a club last year as GWS had a 46 player allowance rather than the standard 40 other clubs have.

If only SOS was running the show last year - we would have got a pick for Tutt

19. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember last time they did this, in 2004 (?) - traded in the likes of Brett Johnson, Cory McGrath, Jason Saddington, etc.

12-year-old me thought it was the coolest thing ever; I'd just discovered Madden on PS2 and nothing made your team instantly better than trading out 10 guys for 10 other better guys, as if that wouldn't work in the real world?

Then Carlton won 3 straight wooden spoons starting from the season after. Can't wait to see how this works out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -