Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Murphy 08-??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Murphy 08-??

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't really see who else could play this lead up role. Do you have anyone in mind?
    I'm struggling because I haven't seen the training group in action but it might have to be a compromise.

Whilst we still have the likes of Wight, Skipper and McDougall on the list it might have some bearing on who plays there albeit not a compelling solution.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm struggling because I haven't seen the training group in action but it might have to be a compromise.

Whilst we still have the likes of Wight, Skipper and McDougall on the list it might have some bearing on who plays there albeit not a compelling solution.
    I know what you mean.

It would be great if we could put a 6'4" 100kg player at CHF to play the role that Murf plays so effectively, but we just don't have one who can play the role. The list of players you have added are the probably the most obvious ones. From that list I would like to see Wight try and play the role. He has the mobility, endurance and has shown a little bit of ability in knowing where to run, etc.. I understand that he has a lot to learn, but for his own good he really needs to ask for the opportunity and give it a serious crack.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean.

It would be great if we could put a 6'4" 100kg player at CHF to play the role that Murf plays so effectively, but we just don't have one who can play the role. The list of players you have added are the probably the most obvious ones. From that list I would like to see Wight try and play the role. He has the mobility, endurance and has shown a little bit of ability in knowing where to run, etc.. I understand that he has a lot to learn, but for his own good he really needs to ask for the opportunity and give it a serious crack.
    I tend to agree with these sentiments too. It simply isn't sustainable for Murph to play as a genuine CHF for the rest of his career. As GVGjr mentioned, playing off a flank would be much more desirable as Murph could then still play a lead up role, without every contest entering our forward line revolving around him.

Wight I think could be a good option, but besides perhaps 1/4 of football, the coaching staff haven't shown him much forward line time. Not too sure if that's an indication that they don't see his future in the forward line or not, but he certainly has some attributes which could do well in the role.

Perhaps if we're going to play Minson as a big lug full forward, we will use Murph and a few smaller guys leading up into space to take control about 80 odd metres out and deliver deeper. It's going to be interesting watching how our game plan develops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post

Perhaps if we're going to play Minson as a big lug full forward, we will use Murph and a few smaller guys leading up into space to take control about 80 odd metres out and deliver deeper. It's going to be interesting watching how our game plan develops.
    I still think we need a bigger body across half forward too. Hahn was quite effective in this type of role in the early parts of the 06 season, his bash and crash style was put to good use, but I would prefer to spend a bit more time in the middle of the ground next season.

Post Thanks / Like

If we play Minson permanently at FF, with Welsh and Johnno making leads perhaps we'll attempt to run the ball deeper and kick deeper into the forward line. Or perhaps Johnno or Welsh will be freed up to play the role across HF. I'm just tossing up ideas because I don't see anyone bigger than Murph who is able to play the lead up HF role as effectively. Maybe we'll leave HF fairly open, kick long into F50 targets and the HF's can run into the 50 as crumbers.

I agree with Ernie's point about Murph's body copping a pasting if he's continually asked to play this role, but as others have also said we just don't have an obvious bigger bodied player to take the role.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    If we play Minson permanently at FF, with Welsh and Johnno making leads perhaps we'll attempt to run the ball deeper and kick deeper into the forward line. Or perhaps Johnno or Welsh will be freed up to play the role across HF. I'm just tossing up ideas because I don't see anyone bigger than Murph who is able to play the lead up HF role as effectively. Maybe we'll leave HF fairly open, kick long into F50 targets and the HF's can run into the 50 as crumbers.

I agree with Ernie's point about Murph's body copping a pasting if he's continually asked to play this role, but as others have also said we just don't have an obvious bigger bodied player to take the role.
    That's pretty much what we tried to do with Darcy this year and it failed miserably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Hurt Factor?
    Whilst I agree with what you are saying what I worry about is if Murphy plays up forward he is more likely to be hurt again.
    Whilst you make a a good point, none of Murph's injuries were caused by where he plays. First he was tackled on the wing, then he did his hammy twice. But i do understand the dangers of him paying CHF I can't think of a time where he has come of second best in a contst.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    That's pretty much what we tried to do with Darcy this year and it failed miserably.
    Fair call, just not sure how we get around the problem, especially as it seems that they are keen to use Will at FF, and I can't see him making too many long leads.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    But isn't that style easy to defend? The opposition will zone off our forwards as they know the ball will be coming in long and direct to the hot spot. We need to be much more flexible than that.

It is also a very taxing style to play. It would mean that the half backs and midfielders would have to run and carry the ball more rather than dish the ball off to a leading player.

If we continue with this style of play we have had over the past couple of years ie. small mobile forwards we will rely on Gia, Aker and Murf improving there fitness to allow them to continue to push up the ground. We will also need to rotate more players through this area with help likely to come from Harbrow, Higgins and possibly Lynch. I agree we need to have a tall mobile target inside 50, hopefully Minson can do the job for us, but as previously stated I wouldn't mind seeing Wight having a go at this role through the pre-season.

Post Thanks / Like

It is also a very taxing style to play. It would mean that the half backs and midfielders would have to run and carry the ball more rather than dish the ball off to a leading player.
    Any on top of that if it isn't executed perfectly it more often than not rebounds quickly and out midfielders and defenders to well out of position and not near their opponent
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Any on top of that if it isn't executed perfectly it more often than not rebounds quickly and out midfielders and defenders to well out of position and not near their opponent
    And didn't we see the results of that late this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Would somebody describe to me what juice Wight has been on over summer that has propelled him from being a backman at Werribee to the hardest position on the field in the big league?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Would somebody describe to me what juice Wight has been on over summer that has propelled him from being a backman at Werribee to the hardest position on the field in the big league?
    He has gained 7kgs to be fair. I don't think he really knows how to play CHF