Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Murphy 08-??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Murphy 08-??

in the melb game Murph was the only dangerous forward with Higgins. Higgins is not that consitent nd Johnno can be shut down (with the 190cm but quick backmen ala Bowden C.Bruce)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

So hes better at creating goals from half back than creating/finishing them in the forward line
    I wouldn't have thought so.

He plays both role's equally well, but as we all know it is much harder playing across half forward than at half back. For that reason he plays the CHF type role for us. We have 4 or 5 who could play on a HBF and do a good job, maybe not as good as Murf, but we only have a couple who could play a role across HF and none as good as Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Murph recaptures his form prior to the serious injury. He was quickly becoming an elite player of the competition, it was incredibly bad timing for him. A full pre-season should hold him in good stead, and hopefully he's able tog et back to his best. The first three games will be itneresting, if he can get his confidence up he'll be fine but if he finds himself in the shadows a bit, he might find it tough to regain the touch and confidence he once had.

On his day, Murph is a genuine superstar. Unfortunately it's been quite a while since we've seen him at his best, but boy - if he's able to get back to it, he'll improve our side in leaps and bounds.

Here's hoping Murph & Hahn recapture their form prior to the knee reconstructions, as they were both in career best form.

A forwardline consisting of Welsh, Hahn, Murphy & Johnson would be dangerous. Both Welsh & Hahn play tall, they work hard to keep the ball in the area and are capable of pulling down some good marks. They use their body well & are very good players on their day. Murphy & Johnson work beautifully in tandem; it's almost impossible to stop both when they're fit & firing. These four compliment each other well, Murph helps out Johnno with his creativity whilst Welsh would be very handy in helping out Hahn as far as the bullocking work in the forward line is concerned.

If Murph hits form, we're at least a 3 goal better side.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Robert Murphy clearly struggled in 2007 on the back of the knee reconstruction given to him courtesy of an Anthony Rocca tackle (Our tackling expert Dry Rot can provide a better description of it than I can).
    Best to ask a wrestling or judo fan - that wasn't a tackle.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Best to ask a wrestling or judo fan - that wasn't a tackle.
    I was amazed he could put Murphs skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it. Mabye I'm bias?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    :

I was amazed he could put Murphs skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it. Mabye I'm bias?
    Wrong place, wrong time. Seriously, if you take hard tackles out of the game then there would be no game. And im sure Rocca didnt intentionally do it.

Post Thanks / Like

:

I was amazed he could put Murph's skinney little legs is his gorilla theis (how the hell do u spell that?) and snap him like that without the tribuneral even looking at it. Mabye I'm bias?
    6 spelling/grammar mistakes (and 1 made up word) in 27 words.

Impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Murph is an interesting one. As SS pointed out, his vision and decision making are first class, so off a half back he is very good at engineering a forward movement. He has also shown he can play some fantastic footy as a lead up forward.

I think his best position comes down to where he is most needed at any given time. Imo he could also do alright off a wing.

Post Thanks / Like

:

Or pissed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Or pissed?
    Look, no need to be judge, tribuneral and executionerer...
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Murph is an interesting one. As SS pointed out, his vision and decision making are first class, so off a half back he is very good at engineering a forward movement. He has also shown he can play some fantastic footy as a lead up forward.

I think his best position comes down to where he is most needed at any given time. Imo he could also do alright off a wing.
    Gun players play forward. backmen save games, forwards win them. You can put all of the wonderful tactic you want into AFL, but at the end of the day, you need to kick more goals than the opposition. having a Robert Murphy lurking around the forward line gives you the opportunity to do this. He is a critical to our 2008 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Gun players play forward. backmen save games, forwards win them. You can put all of the wonderful tactic you want into AFL, but at the end of the day, you need to kick more goals than the opposition. having a Robert Murphy lurking around the forward line gives you the opportunity to do this. He is a critical to our 2008 season.
    I agree, I believe this will be a big year for Murphy. He has to step up to the plate and show some leadership. He is a great player when he is on top of his game and inhury free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    6 spelling/grammar mistakes (and 1 made up word) in 27 words.

Impressive.
    It's an internet forum not a english Exam. It is the summer and i refuse to spell coretalie. U could tell me how to spell the upper leg bits. (I always forget)

Post Thanks / Like

It's an internet forum not a english Exam. It is the summer and i refuse to spell coretalie. U could tell me how to spell the upper leg bits. (I always forget)
    Which is fine. It's a free world.
    However, other people have to be able to read what you write, too. Otherwise you're just going to end up writing to yourself with everyone else ignoring it because it's too hard to work out. Not everyone is a great speller but a bit of effort will be returned.
    Oh and it's thighs
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    It's actually the opposite. Strong backlines win finals and premierships. No better example than '54 and most years thereafter.