Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  38
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I enjoy watching him play

Love your picks Scorlibo.

Rohan Smith was born a bulldog, grew up in the Bulldog heartland a Footscray supporter and got to live his dream and it showed with the passion he showed everytime he took the field. I have a photo in my pool room of him holding the Bulldog emblem on his jumper up so some Carlton supporters could get a better look at it as he leaves the ground after we'd knocked them over at Optus in 2000.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Most of my all-time favourites are the usual suspects, for different reasons.

There are dozens, but at the top of the list; Lally was an artist when the ball was in his area (kicked the best goal I've ever seen a Bulldog kick at Kardinia Park in 85), Dougy one on one was just unbeatable, Grant could do it all and was selfless, Libba's ferocity for the contest was magnificent, Johnno was an all round great Bulldog, Bob's poise and willingness to take the game on are a joy to watch and in years to come Libba jnr (incredible in tight and superb vision), and Jake's sheer brilliance will no doubt see them near the top of the list also.

As a complete package though (appetite for the contest, penetration, versatility, leadership, the way he carries himself) I reckon a 19 year old Marcus Bontempelli gives me as much enjoyment as a footballer as any Bulldog I've ever seen.

One guy who I loved to watch play who is often overlooked was Steve Kretiuk. Very talented player who sacrificed for the team and almost always played injured. In (early) 1998 he was fully fit and a super player, he went head to head ruck-roving with Nathan Buckley all day (when Buckley was supreme) and towelled him and a few games later played most of the game against Carey at the peak of his powers and limited him. Not many players are that versatile.

The one I get saddest about is Ronnie James, who I'd known and played against as a youngster, was a terrific bloke and would've been a great Bulldog player.
    Yeah had Kretiuk in my list too. Great player at his best and as you say super versatile. I saw him take Stewart Loewe to the cleaners a couple of times as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Players I didn't like - not many. Jayde Rawlings - promised us New York; delivered South Kensington when it still had the skin sheds.
    Alan Jakovich - took us for a ride.
    Frank Johnson - the first inter-stater I can remember. Was a dud. Went back West then turned up a year later at Fitzroy; was a dud there too. Stephen Lunn - made flashy look dull - all tip and no iceberg.
    Adrian Campbell and Tom Williams - we put years into them and they turned out to be rehabilitationist's wet dreams.

Players I liked to watch.
    Ted Whitten - a colossus the like of which we will never see again.
    Simon Beasley - looked like a cream puff, played like a rock cake. Super courageous in the marking contest.
    George Bissett - the origin for the term 'punched above his weight."
    Steve Kretiuk - uncompromising. Who can forget his road testing of Matthew Lloyd's hand guard?
    Terry Wheeler - hated to lose. Supporters loved him.
    Chris Grant - best key position player since EJ
    The Hawk - sublime skills
    The Wog Squad - gave us real presence on the park. We loved them
    Steve Kolyniuk - socks down trademark, a real goal sneak who's match winning goal at the "G" will never be bettered as the game is different now.
    Johnno - was always our go to man when we needed a role to be played. A superb footballer.
    Rohan Smith - run and carry was in his DNA.
    Scott West - in and under. Courage personified.
    Bob Murphy - You always know something good will happen when he has the ball.
    Steven Power - consistent, mean defender
    Garry Dempsey - knocked up marking the ball.
    Bernie Quinlan - had it all and was dangerous from 65 metres out CONSISTENTLY.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good list Merantau but no Kelvin Templeton? Didnt rate the big fellow?

I can't remember Frank Johnson though. What year did he come over?

Post Thanks / Like

Great list Merantau. George Bissett was before my time but my father used to rave about him also. He reckons our early-mid 70s on-ball division of Dempsey, Thorpe, Bissett and Huppatz was our best ever (sadly all finished their careers elsewhere - sign of those dark times).

He also had a visceral hatred of Ian Robertson (the Carlton player and, later, commentator) who he swears cost Bissett a Brownlow. As he tells it, Robertson kicked Bissett one game, Bissett retaliated, got reported (was cleared) and got no votes that day when clearly best on ground - 6 goals and a heap of touches. He went on to lose the Brownlow by 1 vote.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had a lot more in a post which I inadvertently wiped before posting and of course Kelvin was in the list. A stupendous player who roosted those torpedoes into the stratosphere.
    Jim Edmond was very tough and played to win. Bruce Duperouzel was great for us and would loved to have had him in his prime. Ray Walker and Dave Darcy were top players in the 60s and Bob Spargo was a classy centreman who was superfit and roamed far and wide to get a kick.
    Alec Gardner was not called "The Racehorse" for nothing. He had genuine pace. Michael Ford was a sterling defender who gave us great service. I also rated Greg Epulstun and Matthew Croft. Mark Kellet had the best "don't argue" ever.
    Gary Merrington was a consistenly good player in lean times.
    John Schultz was an "ornament to the game" to coin the language of yore.
    Tony McGuiness - great kick on the run. Peter Foster rarely played a poor game. Had a great left foot. Brad Hardie played a different game to everyone else but cost us badly against the Hawks in a prelim.
    I loved Phil O'Keefe in his short stint at the top - he had tatts when they weren't fashionable. Les Bamblett was electrofying. Ian Bryant was a wonderful drop kick - had the best follow through.
    Bluey Hampshire was a crowd favourite. I was at the Western Oval and saw him bounce the ball for the only time in his career.
    Laurie Sandilands was good at either end of the ground. Gordon Casey - rock solid. Ditto the late John Jillard - his opponent did not get an easy kick.
    I rated Mathew Robbins and Monty took some great hangers for us and was brilliant in a final against the Pies after being poleaxed at the first bounce.
    Leon Cameron was a peerless two footed kick. Lindsay Gilbee also brilliant.
    Re Frank Johnson. He came over in the late 50s and was a major disappointment.
    Glen Coleman was a good player for us. Had good hands and was always having a crack.
    Brian Lake was always good to watch. Read the game brilliantly but was prone to occasional bouts off dyslexia - ko.
    Loved Zeno Tatzaris and Danny Del Re. Danny was a very good lead and accurate.
    Charlie Pagnoccolo could have been anything but was cut down by injury.
    Brian Royal was blessed with smarts, guts and skills. Neil Cordy was strong overhead and had dash. Brother Brian also gave plenty. Darren Baxter was a very good player for us and I was sad to see him leave.
    James Cook gave us some very good games. Barry Hall was exceptional and gave it away too early
    Loved Daniel Southern. Tough and committed Ditto Bernard Toohey.
    Scott Wynd - full of class and led from the front. Andrew Purser - they nicknamed him "Polly" but there was no waffle about his game. He just went and got the job done.
    But the best is yet to come. We have a top group of youngsters now and they are going places.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

8. Thanks GVGjr, Twodogs, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I actually had a lot more in a post which I inadvertently wiped before posting and of course Kelvin was in the list. A stupendous player who roosted those torpedoes into the stratosphere.
    Jim Edmond was very tough and played to win. Bruce Duperouzel was great for us and would loved to have had him in his prime. Ray Walker and Dave Darcy were top players in the 60s and Bob Spargo was a classy centreman who was superfit and roamed far and wide to get a kick.
    Alec Gardner was not called "The Racehorse" for nothing. He had genuine pace. Michael Ford was a sterling defender who gave us great service. I also rated Greg Epulstun and Matthew Croft. Mark Kellet had the best "don't argue" ever.
    Gary Merrington was a consistenly good player in lean times.
    John Schultz was an "ornament to the game" to coin the language of yore.
    Tony McGuiness - great kick on the run. Peter Foster rarely played a poor game. Had a great left foot. Brad Hardie played a different game to everyone else but cost us badly against the Hawks in a prelim.
    I loved Phil O'Keefe in his short stint at the top - he had tatts when they weren't fashionable. Les Bamblett was electrofying. Ian Bryant was a wonderful drop kick - had the best follow through.
    Bluey Hampshire was a crowd favourite. I was at the Western Oval and saw him bounce the ball for the only time in his career.
    Laurie Sandilands was good at either end of the ground. Gordon Casey - rock solid. Ditto the late John Jillard - his opponent did not get an easy kick.
    I rated Mathew Robbins and Monty took some great hangers for us and was brilliant in a final against the Pies after being poleaxed at the first bounce.
    Leon Cameron was a peerless two footed kick. Lindsay Gilbee also brilliant.
    Re Frank Johnson. He came over in the late 50s and was a major disappointment.
    Glen Coleman was a good player for us. Had good hands and was always having a crack.
    Brian Lake was always good to watch. Read the game brilliantly but was prone to occasional bouts off dyslexia - ko.
    Loved Zeno Tatzaris and Danny Del Re. Danny was a very good lead and accurate.
    Charlie Pagnoccolo could have been anything but was cut down by injury.
    Brian Royal was blessed with smarts, guts and skills. Neil Cordy was strong overhead and had dash. Brother Brian also gave plenty. Darren Baxter was a very good player for us and I was sad to see him leave.
    James Cook gave us some very good games. Barry Hall was exceptional and gave it away too early
    Loved Daniel Southern. Tough and committed Ditto Bernard Toohey.
    Scott Wynd - full of class and led from the front. Andrew Purser - they nicknamed him "Polly" but there was no waffle about his game. He just went and got the job done.
    But the best is yet to come. We have a top group of youngsters now and they are going places.

Great list again Merantau. Brings back fantastic memories of some great players.

Speaking of Bluey Hampshire I can remember a day at Moorabbin that was so wet that the coca cola boy abandoned his little counter so me and two mates standing behind the goals turned it around and sat under it. It must have been the late '70s ood early '80s. Anyway Bluey got a free kick on the edge of the goal square, the man on the mark was standing about 3. Metres from the goal line. Bluey kicks the ball which was so sodden it hit his boot and hit the ground about halfway between Bluey and the man on the mark and just stuck in the mud. First (only) time I've seen someone not make the distance from the goalsquare.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you mentioned Duperouzel. Gee he was a smart player, loved him. As you say, shame we only got him at the tail of his career. After him, The Budgie was also pretty good in a similar role.

Post Thanks / Like

We'd leave Duper on the bench until just after the last quarter had started and invariably he would kick a couple of goals or lay a tackle to save the game.

He opened the bowling with Denis Lillee for Western Australia in Shield cricket as well as play footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, great lista there Merentau.

Beaser and Galaxy were favourites of mine as well. Nobody kicked more goals in the 80's than Simon Beasley, which is a staggering stat when you consider Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett were running amok - Beaser I think kicked 80 or more goals in every single season from 1982-1988, some of those years when we were utterly rubbish. I can only despair at the thought of a two-pronged forward line consisting of Templeton at CHF and Beasley at FF - alas we only had it for a handful of games in 1982. Not sure why Malthouse would almost always drop him the morning of a game if it was wet - he had some terrific games in the wet (one against Norf in 1988 at the MCG when we came from a mile back at 3/4 time sticks in the memory).

Galaxy played 50 or more games for 3 different clubs - nobody else has achieved that (Bazza got close) in VFL/AFL history. He really helped Granty emerge into the future superstar working alongside him across half-forward in 1992. Galaxy was such a hard worker (when it wasn't a fashionable trait for key forwards) and was a fantastic outlet option coming into forward 50. Unlike other key forwards of the day, he would excel in today's game with his elite fitness and magnificent hands.

13. Likes Drunken Bum, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair Beeza's opponent that day was Tim Harrington.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic signature link TD on the great KT.
    Awesome read of one of our greatest ever players.
    Much appreciated,Thanks TD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Fantastic signature link TD on the great KT.
    Awesome read of one of our greatest ever players.
    Much appreciated,Thanks TD

No worries Redders. I read the article and thought as many Bulldog supporters as possible should read it as well. The author has been a mate of mine since around the time KT won the medal.

Post Thanks / Like

Always remember dad and I as a young whipper snapper following the Dogs but more specifically KT to any game we could get to anywhere we played.

Probably bordering on stalking groupie type passion,but even though yes we were crap in the late 70's early 80's just to see KT strut his stuff was worth the smashing we would cop,the miserable conditions,the long drive home and the price of admission alone.

Brings back great memories flooding back that had been repressed until someone or something sparks the senses to light up to remember,reflect and reminisce about what joys and good times we all once had.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 02-11-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spacing

19. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the most spectacular things I've seen in all my years of watching footy were the Royce Hart and Kelvin Templeton one on one marking sessions at training when KT was at his peak and Hart was still in his 30s and still pretty fit. I hate Richmond but Royce Hart was the best player I ever saw and to watch him and the second best player I ever saw contesting marks was pure football at its very best.

21. Likes 1eyedog liked this post