Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club Stereotypes

Richmond- the only time I have heard supporters yell death threats at their own players!

2. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond and Essendon both hold a disproportionate percentage of adult supporters who wear matching gear to that of their children.

4. Likes 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about Freo supporters other than one or two of them need a bit of anger management. But I saw on their club channel once a segment detailing the history of their player's tattoos. Classy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond- The only team in the AFL where the MCG have to put messages on the big screen requesting patrons not to stand on the seats!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Richmond- The only team in the AFL where the MCG have to put messages on the big screen requesting patrons not to stand on the seats!
    They probably don't want the fat bastards breaking them!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What and who are Brisbane supporters?
    I remember that rather bimbo-ish woman throwing beer over Jonno in a sort of "shit did I do that?" manner.
    Probably was the wife of someone who got a bunch of free tickets, pulled on jumper and hasn't been back since.
    I hear Brisbane are really good for giving away free tickets!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs: A bunch of cynics about the AFL, equalisation, fair treatment, Etihad contracts. Seem heart broken by almost every final in 30 years. Also haven't seen a winning prelim final at AFL level and are starved of success but still join as members. Have a few dickheads that go games but the club and supporters are good at weeding them out. Yet these crazies start each year with fresh hope this year is the year they've been waiting for.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes azabob, bornadog, merantau, lemmon, Sedat, N/A, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yet these crazies start each year with fresh hope this year is the year they've been waiting for.
    The first time I remember that was in form two, (1969) when my woodwork teacher, a mad doggies supporter said to me , "don't worry next year will be our year" Well Mr Ansett, I am still waiting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne, of course, do seem to have a lot of private school type following them but, only when they are doing well.
    I remember a funny incident at Western Oval. We were standing in the outer near some Melbourne types - well dressed, club scarves, toffy vowelled. After half time some pretty rugged looking blokes stood in front of these guys. One of them piped up, " Excuse me, in front. I can't see anymore!" One of the blokes turned around and snarled, "Are you talking to me idiot?"
    To which the private school type replied, "No, no. Just making a general observation."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

16. Likes F'scary, soupman, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The first time I remember that was in form two, (1969) when my woodwork teacher, a mad doggies supporter said to me , "don't worry next year will be our year" Well Mr Ansett, I am still waiting.
    Lucky Mr Ansett would have at least got to see us win a flag.
    My Dad used to always say a similar thing to me, sadly he passed fifteen years ago and we never got to celebrate that allusive Grandfinal appearance together.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really suspicious of Hawthorn supporters. Unless their pensioners most of them are 24 carat bandwagoners. Essendon supporters are as flaky as shark meat and absolutely tireless in bagging their own players - it's so enjoyable to see that they have so much material to work with at the moment.
    Carlton - insufferable when they are doing well, conspicuous by their absence otherwise. Geelong - a bunch of provincial myopics who should not be allowed past Little River. Richmond supporters are passionate and for real. I don't mind them. Collingwood - you know when the London riots were on? Collingwood had a bye that weekend and Jetstar's prices were at an all time low - go figure.
    West Coast fans - what a pity WA didn't secede in 1934 then we wouldn't have to put up with them. They could be running their own tiny comp which would suit their own tiny minds.

20. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

1974 was the first time I remeber seeing that. We lost the Elimation final and someone wrote into the Mail saying "never mind, it's such a good team we are sure to make the Grand Fiinal next year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    West Coast fans - what a pity WA didn't secede in 1934 then we wouldn't have to put up with them. They could be running their own tiny comp which would suit their own tiny minds.
    But would that mean Bruce would be deprived of Cyril?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce could take out dual citizenship and then Woofers could spearhead a campaign to have him stripped of his Australian citizenship. I'm sure it would garner massive support from football lovers who are sick to death of his mindless warblings and assorted statistical inanities, most of which have about as much relevance to what's happening on the field as the Pope's pronouncements on birth control have to what is actually practised in Catholic bedrooms.
    We should institute a "Bruce watch" to list his most useless irrelevancy each week and then vote on the year's winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What and who are Brisbane supporters?
    I remember that rather bimbo-ish woman throwing beer over Jonno in a sort of "shit did I do that?" manner.
    Probably was the wife of someone who got a bunch of free tickets, pulled on jumper and hasn't been back since.
    I hear Brisbane are really good for giving away free tickets!
    I lived in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast for 15 years - they are the worst. I went there in 98, no-one gave a rats about AFL (at one stage I lived within walking distance of the Gabba - all the players walked around the shops in Stanley St anonymously. Went to my local there one Australia Day weekend and ended up having a couple of beers and watching the Australian Open with John Northey, who was sitting alone unrecognised).

Once they got to GFs, every second person was a loumouth, diehard expert who knew everything about AFL. Because their team was winning, all their lameass theories must apparently be correct. As soon as the glory years left, they went back to not giving a damn. Qlders are awful bandwagon riders, they do it with all sports.

Rant over.