Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  80
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome To The Western Bulldogs Bailey Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    T&T, I'm assuming you're quite happy with this?
    Just got home from Baileys house. Gave the family a few 2015 scarves and caps. They are Very, very very happy with this. He flies to Melbourne Friday morning I've known Bailey for about 10 years. I'm extremely thrilled! And yes, I was at the match where he had 56 possessions.

Apparently you could hear me on the tv yell out when he was drafted. ( I was at the draft).

Bails. had been promised to be rookie drafted by another AFL club, he wasn't even watching the draft tonight.

I'll put some more info and photos up over the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post

Bails. had been promised to be rookie drafted by another AFL club, he wasn't even watching the draft tonight.
    Which one? Kind of hope it was Freo so we totally ruined their night
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re. Bailey

I've seen Bailey play since he was 7 and he has always been a gifted talent but he has been a late developer physically than many kids his age going through the ranks. This is why he never made junior State teams and not dominant at Glenelg junior squads in the 12 to 16 age bracket. But he started showing signs of being a class above at local club level at my club Brighton last year and we didn't see him at all this year because he was with Glenelg all season and won their U18 B & F despite playing 7 or 8 games in the Reserves. So many juniors dominate and make state teams because of superior strength, size, speed, endurance etc. but get caught up and overtaken by the lads with class and that sixth sense that can't be taught. In my book Bailey is in that latter category. Comparing him to Pendlebury is a big call but he has that similar 360 degree movement and vision with that ability to make space and time for himself without anyone laying a glove on him.
    # 71 Collingwood - Bailey Williams (Glenelg / 185cm / 75kg)

Has come to prominence in the 2nd half of the year with some really standout performances not the least of which was the 56 possession game vs Eagles. Has not come through any of the junior pathways and so clubs will look at him as someone with potentially even more upside than others given what they could do with him inside an AFL environment. What stands out about Bailey is that he has time.....oodles of it. He just waits longer in the congestion than other kids would do so he make really decisions on exit. He is beautifully balanced on either side and his hands are exceptionally clean when the ball is on the deck. His ball use by hand is very good and he can handpass off either equally as well. His use by foot won't worry anyone and whilst its not hugely penetrating it is good and he weights and advantages his kicks well. He is already a good runner and tests well for endurance and uses it to best advantage to get as many stoppages as he can. He has some pace but again it will be something that clubs will look to work on with him and build that explosiveness from the stoppage. He is light but he has already shown he has the ability to add weight to his frame and that will continue to come. Its a massive call and he is nowhere near it but he does share Pendlebury traits and it is worth remembering with one year in the talent pathway Pendlebury improved out of site. Williams hasn't had that year yet but suspect he will in 2016.

Why: I think he has a high ceiling and I also think the Pies can afford to give him time to build himself into an AFL footballer given their depth. They would be keen on a taller type but unless someone from above drops I cant see it happening. Maybe Hulett or Allen.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

5. Thanks N/A, Sedat, anfo27, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Just got home from Baileys house. Gave the family a few 2015 scarves and caps. They are Very, very very happy with this. He flies to Melbourne Friday morning I've known Bailey for about 10 years. I'm extremely thrilled! And yes, I was at the match where he had 56 possessions.

Apparently you could hear me on the tv yell out when he was drafted. ( I was at the draft).

I'll put some more info and photos up over the weekend.
    I did here some screaming when his name was called out as well as a loud chorus of WHO!!

Could be the steal of the draft - good luck to Bails.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His highlight package is outstanding. Like that we've used a late pick on a player who has made a steep improvement late in the season.

Welcome to the dogs Bailey.

8. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Credit to you T&T. I must admit when I heard his name called out, I was like, why do I know that name?!

I look forward to you telling us more about Bailey in the next couple of days.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    His highlight package is outstanding. Like that we've used a late pick on a player who has made a steep improvement late in the season.

Welcome to the dogs Bailey.
    There is a fair bit to like about that clip.

Will watch his development with interest next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely have I seen a bad highlights package. They're a bit like CVs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I was particularly pleased with his overhead marking. He appears to have long arms and could have an extra few CMs to grow.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone quickly scan the list of prospective 2016 draftees and identify the Bailey we will take with a 3rd rounder?

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Can someone quickly scan the list of prospective 2016 draftees and identify the Bailey we will take with a 3rd rounder?
    At this rate I'd be surprised if we haven't hidden a Bailey Liberatore somewhere
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Rarely have I seen a bad highlights package. They're a bit like CVs.
    Of course all highlight packages are good - but there are still differences to be picked up on, and you can get a feel for how someone plays.

For me, Williams' highlights showed us he makes good, quick decisions - is brave, and poised. Some of the more important and transferable skills to the AFL style game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    For me, Williams' highlights showed us he makes good, quick decisions - is brave, and poised. Some of the more important and transferable skills to the AFL style game.
    He does seem to hold the ball which is a double edged sword.

Implies he's comfortable and doesn't rush his delivery, but it also means he will have to work hard to translate his skillset to AFL football as he won't have anywhere near enough time.

Regardless - if you can get the ball 56 times against your peers, you can certainly play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He does seem to hold the ball which is a double edged sword.

Implies he's comfortable and doesn't rush his delivery, but it also means he will have to work hard to translate his skillset to AFL football as he won't have anywhere near enough time.

Regardless - if you can get the ball 56 times against your peers, you can certainly play.
    I think it's a trait Dal really likes in his midfielders. You wouldn't say any of Hamilton, Dale, Hunter or Macrae are particularly quick moving through a pack but all are willing to hold onto the footy in congestion for that little while longer to better pick an option. Macrae in particular was renowned for his 'step' as a junior.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the frame on BW, can see he's got a lot of developing to do. Long arms too.

One thing I didn't like was that he was very one sided. A couple of times he changed direction to give off on the right, where he should've used the left. Won't get away with that at AFL level, but I'm sure it'll be worked on.