Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Had a peak for about 15 minutes this afternoon
    Rohan Smith seemed to be front and centre screaming at the players to show more intensity .
    One drill I've never seen was 2 lines of 5 or 6 players about 20 metres apart each with two footballs.
    Juggling both balls and counting to 5 they had to kick the ball quickly around the corner .
    Then placing the two balls on the ground, counting to 5 and quickly kicking the ball around the corner .
    The other drill was a ruck contest between Minson and Tom B and Tom C and alternating with Jed Adcock roving to their ruck work.
    The drill was spoiled by some crappy throw ins .Will monstered Tom B( as he should) the other two were quite even .
    I noticed plenty of kicking on the non preferred by a fair few

2. Thanks N/A, Bulldog4life, Eastdog, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw Will the other day and he looks very fit. Didn't look like a guy resigned to playing VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Had a peak for about 15 minutes this afternoon
    Rohan Smith seemed to be front and centre screaming at the players to show more intensity .
    One drill I've never seen was 2 lines of 5 or 6 players about 20 metres apart each with two footballs.
    Juggling both balls and counting to 5 they had to kick the ball quickly around the corner .
    Then placing the two balls on the ground, counting to 5 and quickly kicking the ball around the corner .
    The other drill was a ruck contest between Minson and Tom B and Tom C and alternating with Jed Adcock roving to their ruck work.
    The drill was spoiled by some crappy throw ins .Will monstered Tom B( as he should) the other two were quite even .
    I noticed plenty of kicking on the non preferred by a fair few
    I also got down there this arvo while on my holidays.

It wasn't the most intense session but there was plenty going on and they worked into it.

Bevo didn't run any of it and just kept an eye on things as he walked around. The other coaches ran their individual groups.

After a small warm up kicking drill they split into 4 or 5 groups. They would do different drills for 15 minutes then swap. I noticed that the groups were changing and after each set of 15 minutes the drills changed too so it seemed very targeted to different groups of players. They were not simply just running through a series of drills in the same groups.

Some of the drills were

* 3 on 3 inside a confined area (maybe 10 by 10m) with two coaches either side kicking over the group. Focus was on the defending side communicating and keeping the space in front of the attackers so they could zone off and intercept the kick. Think it was about handing over opponents and keeping that space in front. If you watch off the ball at our games our defenders always stand 3-5 metres in front of their opponents and try to control that space to make opponents kick it up and over. This drill had Biggs, Collins, Williams on one team but I cant remember the other 3 besides Hamling. Smith ran this one and was very loud in his encouragement of Collins. Williams looks a very smart player and timed some of his interceptions well. Clearly a drill for the backs.

* As Remi described a bunch of the players at one stage did some simple ball handling drills where they would pick the ball up and kick off one step. They also did things like throw the ball up and kick off one step, hold two balls and kick whichever football the coach yelled out, loop the ball around their back and kick off one step. Then they went into running around poles and kicking off either foot. This one had Macrae, Stringer, Dahlhaus, Libba, Hamilton, Lynch and a few other mid types that I forget now.

* They did several stoppage type exercises but they were on the opposite side to me or a bit further down.

* The big guys did lots of marking of high balls. No body pressure just the ball kicked up with height and the player jumping at it. A coach would stand behind them with a pool noodle and slap them in the head or across the arm as they marked.

* At one stage we had a drill going off each point post. It was simply a coach throwing the ball to a player about ten meters in from the point post and simulating a man on the mark. The player with the ball would push back 5 meters then take off across the face of goal before executing a switch kick to a stationary target while under pressure from the guy who was on the mark. Pretty simple stuff but because there was two groups one group was kicking on their opposite foot under pressure. Collins scuffed a few when I was watching but most of the guys kicked it very well. Its the kick that opens the whole ground up but is obviously quite risky.

* One group did lots of contest and game sense stuff. One part of it involved a two on two where they would converge on a neutral ball and the two defenders would have to decide (pretty much instantly) who was attacking the ball carrier and who would peel off to cover the outlet player. Done a bit of coaching myself and this is very tough to teach. Players instinctively go to the ball and if they don't get it they want to attack the guy who has it. It was all about not having both guys going to the ball. Hrovat took some of the kids under his wing for this one which was good to see. This group also did some game sense handball/keepings off. Coaches put big emphasis on defenders pushing the attackers boundary side during this. Bailey Williams again did some smart things.

I wasn't paying too much attention to who was out there but I don't think I saw Wallis, Bont, Picken, Morris, Murphy or Boyd. May have noticed Boyd helping out in the groups at one stage.

As with last year I definitely think we are much leaner than under McCartney. Not as much muscle and leg size. Macrae looks like he has bulked up nicely though.

Noticed Roughy was mainly with the backs and not so much with the rucks and tall forwards when they split up. Could be nothing but he was involved in the switching and defensive stuff.

I debated whether to share this but I will give an edited version. Late in the session Bevo walked over to the boundary fence and singled out a spectator for filming the session. The guy had some sort of hand held camera. Without detailing the whole exchange Bevo was clearly very annoyed and did not think this was a guy who was just taking a few happy snaps. Happy to elaborate via PM if anyone is really interested. Clearly we are being very careful with this sort of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic post DT much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant summary....thanks.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the work you've put on to this - thanks.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Pugz89 Guest

Not sure how to PM (new here) but would be keen for you to elaborate. Saw Bevo on the track but didn't see any of this happen, although i had to leave 45mins into the session.

Post Thanks / Like

As a supporter living in QLD I can't thank you guys enough for your training reports. In my 38 years as a member I have never been so excited by what the club is producing. Keep up the fantastic work woofers it is so good to be able to read what is happening at the club. Thank you

10. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pugz89 View Post
    Not sure how to PM (new here) but would be keen for you to elaborate. Saw Bevo on the track but didn't see any of this happen, although i had to leave 45mins into the session.
    Welcome to WOOF Pugz89. If you want to Private message just click on the username of the poster you want to send a message to hit private message and then you'll be able to do it. Hope that helps mate. If you want to PM dog town just click his name then hit private message and then pretty much you can contact him privately from there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Well they are up to some major change given the levels of paranoia and secrecy at training. We must be going to play a different game style.

Unless. Maybe that's exactly what they want us to think?
    Makes this season more exciting not knowing exactly what to expect yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Like last year B4L except the anticapation that we could be even more unpredictable then last year gives me goosebumps all over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post

Doesn't it! Isn't life grand when the footy season is worth getting really excited about.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the updates guys. Helps address this Darwin member's withdrawals!

Post Thanks / Like

that report DT was awesome. thanks. Although I suspect Bevo is gonna ban you from future training sessions!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I also got down there this arvo while on my holidays.

It wasn't the most intense session but there was plenty going on and they worked into it.

Bevo didn't run any of it and just kept an eye on things as he walked around. The other coaches ran their individual groups.

After a small warm up kicking drill they split into 4 or 5 groups. They would do different drills for 15 minutes then swap. I noticed that the groups were changing and after each set of 15 minutes the drills changed too so it seemed very targeted to different groups of players. They were not simply just running through a series of drills in the same groups.

Some of the drills were

* 3 on 3 inside a confined area (maybe 10 by 10m) with two coaches either side kicking over the group. Focus was on the defending side communicating and keeping the space in front of the attackers so they could zone off and intercept the kick. Think it was about handing over opponents and keeping that space in front. If you watch off the ball at our games our defenders always stand 3-5 metres in front of their opponents and try to control that space to make opponents kick it up and over. This drill had Biggs, Collins, Williams on one team but I cant remember the other 3 besides Hamling. Smith ran this one and was very loud in his encouragement of Collins. Williams looks a very smart player and timed some of his interceptions well. Clearly a drill for the backs.

* As Remi described a bunch of the players at one stage did some simple ball handling drills where they would pick the ball up and kick off one step. They also did things like throw the ball up and kick off one step, hold two balls and kick whichever football the coach yelled out, loop the ball around their back and kick off one step. Then they went into running around poles and kicking off either foot. This one had Macrae, Stringer, Dahlhaus, Libba, Hamilton, Lynch and a few other mid types that I forget now.

* They did several stoppage type exercises but they were on the opposite side to me or a bit further down.

* The big guys did lots of marking of high balls. No body pressure just the ball kicked up with height and the player jumping at it. A coach would stand behind them with a pool noodle and slap them in the head or across the arm as they marked.

* At one stage we had a drill going off each point post. It was simply a coach throwing the ball to a player about ten meters in from the point post and simulating a man on the mark. The player with the ball would push back 5 meters then take off across the face of goal before executing a switch kick to a stationary target while under pressure from the guy who was on the mark. Pretty simple stuff but because there was two groups one group was kicking on their opposite foot under pressure. Collins scuffed a few when I was watching but most of the guys kicked it very well. Its the kick that opens the whole ground up but is obviously quite risky.

* One group did lots of contest and game sense stuff. One part of it involved a two on two where they would converge on a neutral ball and the two defenders would have to decide (pretty much instantly) who was attacking the ball carrier and who would peel off to cover the outlet player. Done a bit of coaching myself and this is very tough to teach. Players instinctively go to the ball and if they don't get it they want to attack the guy who has it. It was all about not having both guys going to the ball. Hrovat took some of the kids under his wing for this one which was good to see. This group also did some game sense handball/keepings off. Coaches put big emphasis on defenders pushing the attackers boundary side during this. Bailey Williams again did some smart things.

I wasn't paying too much attention to who was out there but I don't think I saw Wallis, Bont, Picken, Morris, Murphy or Boyd. May have noticed Boyd helping out in the groups at one stage.

As with last year I definitely think we are much leaner than under McCartney. Not as much muscle and leg size. Macrae looks like he has bulked up nicely though.

Noticed Roughy was mainly with the backs and not so much with the rucks and tall forwards when they split up. Could be nothing but he was involved in the switching and defensive stuff.

I debated whether to share this but I will give an edited version. Late in the session Bevo walked over to the boundary fence and singled out a spectator for filming the session. The guy had some sort of hand held camera. Without detailing the whole exchange Bevo was clearly very annoyed and did not think this was a guy who was just taking a few happy snaps. Happy to elaborate via PM if anyone is really interested. Clearly we are being very careful with this sort of stuff.
    Good to have you back in town DT.

There is always an analytical and insightful view to your posts
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Thanks dog town thanked for this post