Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd - Your expectations for 2016

Tom will again come under pressure from media types all due to his salary, although Carey came out in his support and said to get off his back and let him develop. He is a number one draft pick and only 20 years old, standing at over 200cm.

What are your expectations for Tom in 2016? How many games will he play? Where do you think he will play, ie strictly FF, or stints in the ruck, or where should he play?
    Last edited by bornadog; 07-03-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd - Your expectations for 2016

I think he'll play deep forward with just occasional pinch hits into the ruck. I don't have any expectations output wise as his progress won't be linear. I'd like to see the penny drop a little regarding his belief in himself contest to contest and ability to physically sustain effort/second efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

To compete!

If he doesn't mark it, he has bring it to the ground. To aggressively attack the ball and help keep it in our forward half.
    I'm not going to put a figure of goals on the table but if he can get his average to around 1.5-1.75 a game that would be a massive positive.

Apart from his kicking for goal, I really liked his game yesterday.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Tom as Full Forward, spending 20% of his time in the ruck.

I wouldn't like to put expectations on him in terms of goals and games played. I would like to see him stayed involved throughout the game.

I'd like for him to be an 'expected' selection every week, by mid way through the season.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a staunch defender of Tom using logic as my reasoning. I even had an exchange with Robbo on Twitter last week. The guy is 20yo and stands at 200cm. His numbers are comparable to other forwards at thew same age, yet because of his contract, he is expected to develop at a faster rate. Makes no sense and is a completely flawed argument. The media write articles questioning if Tom would be feeling the pressure, while at the same time they are perpetuating the pressure. I know this is what the media do but it still beggars belief. I would like to see an improvement in Tom's second efforts and 30+ goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Play 20-22 games (meaning he is an integral part of the senior team), making an impact up forward both in contested marks and halving aerial duels so that we can lock it into our forward 50 for multiple repeat entries, significantly improved core strength and aerobic fitness to ensure repeat contests, continued improvement on his ruck craft. Don't care how many goals he kicks but I want to see him improve in scoring involvements, so that he is in play more than last season. He does all of the above and I will be a very happy supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite not dominating, is Boyd the best long target aerial threat we have got? Probably - that might say more about the marking prowess of our tall stocks than anything else, but nevertheless...

As such, Im not worried about his personal development so much as how his addition integrates with the team. The long target should not normally be the first option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    I've been a staunch defender of Tom using logic as my reasoning. I even had an exchange with Robbo on Twitter last week. The guy is 20yo and stands at 200cm. His numbers are comparable to other forwards at thew same age, yet because of his contract, he is expected to develop at a faster rate. Makes no sense and is a completely flawed argument. The media write articles questioning if Tom would be feeling the pressure, while at the same time they are perpetuating the pressure. I know this is what the media do but it still beggars belief. I would like to see an improvement in Tom's second efforts and 30+ goals.
    That's it though, the contract. If he'd been on a lesser deal he'd be a developing forward coming along nicely. The same scrutiny won't apply to McCartin if he doesn't break into the seniors and hold his spot. He's long term for me. I do expect improvements from his 2015 campaign but don't expect to see an AA Forward like most of the media and idiot opposition supporters.
    Last edited by G-Mo77; 07-03-2016 at 02:22 PM.

9. Likes N/A, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    Exactly my thoughts and I would like him to hold a few more marks which I think will come with confidence and exhibit more controlled aggression. Tom has the best looking kicking action of a full forward I can recall in recent times. I do think he will live up to our expectations, we just need to be patient. I also think he will end up being in leadership group when he does hit his straps.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Exactly my thoughts and I would like him to hold a few more marks which I think will come with confidence and exhibit more controlled aggression. Tom has the best looking kicking action of a full forward I can recall in recent times. I do think he will live up to our expectations, we just need to be patient. I also think he will end up being in leadership group when he does hit his straps.
    Can't agree there Josie. Tends to run to the right instead of straight. Never really confident when he is kicking for goals. At this stage I am more confident with big Jack's kicking for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Can't agree there Josie. Tends to run to the right instead of straight. Never really confident when he is kicking for goals. At this stage I am more confident with big Jack's kicking for goal.
    Weird, because as a junior he'd almost never miss.
    0.3 on the weekend is cause for both celebration and concern - first game for the year he's hitting the scoreboard and crating opportunities, but not kicking straight.

I'd love to see him pinch hit in the ruck and become our 'anchor' forward as the forward/ruck role is the hardest to fill in the AFL.

As an aside - sounds weird, but I want him to front the MRP. I want to see him hit blokes (legally....ish) and show some aggression.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As an aside - sounds weird, but I want him to front the MRP. I want to see him hit blokes (legally....ish) and show some aggression.
    hehe I get your point but perhaps concentrating on second efforts and pressure is an alternative. He's far too lazy and as you put it 'non aggressive' when the ball is in his area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    hehe I get your point but perhaps concentrating on second efforts and pressure is an alternative. He's far too lazy and as you put it 'non aggressive' when the ball is in his area.
    I thought he showed some agression yesterday.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought he showed some agression yesterday.
    First one over to support Goetz.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    First one over to support Goetz.
    Even though Goetz was in the wrong.

He has copped this:

One charge laid from the weekend. Bulldog Luke Goetz can accept a $1000 fine for pushing Melbourne's Colin Garland over the fence.