Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

I was sleeping at 8am But for those that went along how was it?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    Keep the training reports coming people, they're especially much appreciated by those of us living in far away places! Who looks the best developed in terms of skills out of the new boys?
    I didn't have a comprehensive view of them all, I just tuned into the nearest group and talked with the guy next to me but Brad Lynch has the skill and seems a natural footballer. Goetz has a touch of Carl Ditterich with his natural athleticism and height. The only other newies I saw were Bailey Williams, a good cut of a footballer, good build and mover but I didn't see with the ball much and Suckling who was taking marks and banging them into the goals with a crooked left leg in kick to kick practice.
    Footscray Football Republic.

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I didn't have a comprehensive view of them all, I just tuned into the nearest group and talked with the guy next to me but Brad Lynch has the skill and seems a natural footballer. Goetz has a touch of Carl Ditterich with his natural athleticism and height. The only other newies I saw were Bailey Williams, a good cut of a footballer, good build and mover but I didn't see with the ball much and Suckling who was taking marks and banging them into the goals with a crooked left leg in kick to kick practice.
    Kicking with a crooked leg gives the ball lift over an oncoming opponents and then makes it dip after it goes past them. It's how soccer players get the bend on the ball, they kick it with a crooked leg.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Kicking with a crooked leg gives the ball lift over an oncoming opponents and then makes it dip after it goes past them. It's how soccer players get the bend on the ball, they kick it with a crooked leg.
    Lefties tend to do it (there should be a car sticker "Lefties do it with a crooked one"). Loyd did, Crammers does.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Lefties tend to do it (there should be a car sticker "Lefties do it with a crooked one"). Loyd did, Crammers does.

Yep, that's the vital bit that I left out. It's predominantly lefties who do it. I don't know if right footers can't or the fact that left footers tend to be more balanced when they kick the ball because kicking the ball with a bent leg and keeping it bent is a very delicate manoeuvre.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's the vital bit that I left out. It's predominantly lefties who do it. I don't know if right footers can't or the fact that left footers tend to be more balanced when they kick the ball because kicking the ball with a bent leg and keeping it bent is a very delicate manoeuvre.

Post Thanks / Like

Again?
    sig-4163675.normal_double-posts-double-post-everywhere.jpg

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prior to all of the side getting out on the park yesterday, Redpath was again being put through a gruelling running routine and at the end of each block of running he was hunched over sucking in the big ones. He looks to be moving really well and I think he could be in for a breakout year if his streamlined physique and improved running capability is anything to go by.

He did some set shot kicking afterwards and looked to be kicking the ball well (albeit a few shots missed in what were windy conditions).

Highlight of the day was seeing Liberatore running around, kicking the ball off both feet and being able to gather the ball cleanly with a bit of lateral movement on display as he did so. He looks quite wirey to me and very fit. I hope we continue to take it slow with him but he must be enjoying being out on the field and participating in a few football drills. I'm sure he will join the main group soon enough.

Wallis appears to be very comfortable getting involved with the younger players and helping them push themselves. He looks fit and strong. As some others have noted, Bailey Dale looks like he's grown.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GD. I wonder if Redpath really builds the tank, if he could play as a mobile, high impact CHF. A forwardline of:

Crameri/Redpath/Maclean
    Stringer/Boyd/Dickson

would really test opposition backlines, especially with the likes of Bont and Wallis also pushing forward as mobile marking options.

There are a few aspects to Jack's game that I reckon make CHF a better option than FF. He is a much better field kick than set shot; he is a good mark running into space, but struggles in congested, contested scenarios; when out of the play for a while, he can panic and try too hard, getting involved in more passages would be a real plus; his presence charging off the line at centre bounces would make our mids walk taller.

Not totally convinced, but reckon he could be worth a shot.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From G_D's report, maybe the coach has put it to Big Redders that if he can build the tank, he can own CHF. The position is certainly vacant.

I think it is worth a go too. He's got something to build on, he wasn't bad last season.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    iPad and impatience I think is the cause

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly a few posters have noted Redpath doing a lot of running and mobility work. I wonder if Boyd also doing similar work?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Interestingly a few posters have noted Redpath doing a lot of running and mobility work. I wonder if Boyd also doing similar work?
    I thought that was interesting too. I wonder if that means that they have a roaming CHF role in mind for him?

Post Thanks / Like

t

I thought that was interesting too. I wonder if that means that they have a roaming CHF role in mind for him?
    A Riewolt with balls?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The next open training sessions at Victoria University Whitten Oval will be (approx.) 2:00pm Tuesday 15 December. This will be the final open session of 2015.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.