Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Highlight of the day was seeing Liberatore running around, kicking the ball off both feet and being able to gather the ball cleanly with a bit of lateral movement on display as he did so. He looks quite wirey to me and very fit. I hope we continue to take it slow with him but he must be enjoying being out on the field and participating in a few football drills. I'm sure he will join the main group soon enough.
    I'm getting the feeling that there has been a bit of change of thought around ACL recoveries in that they are trying to get the player to lose weight and muscle and turn into a more streamlined version of their previous selves to lessen the impact on the new graft.

This can be also true with chronic hamstring and other similar problems. Remember Easton Wood having to lose weight and in particular muscle size around his legs to help with his hamstrings, seems to have worked for him.

It's fact that the bigger you are the longer it takes to recover from an ACL, some smaller players like Libba senior have come back much earlier.

Seeing Tom's very light frame makes me think they are getting him into this shape early and perhaps over time he will put some weight back on when the knee has proven stable, because he's a good 8kg's lighter easily than his previous playing weight.

If we see Clay Smith come back looking thin it wouldn't surprise me.

2. Likes Go_Dogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that there has been a bit of change of thought around ACL recoveries in that they are trying to get the player to lose weight and muscle and turn into a more streamlined version of their previous selves to lessen the impact on the new graft
    Is that really new though? Tendonitis I know has been treated with weight loss for a while, I remember Adam Cooney having one big leg and one small one
    Last edited by boydogs; 15-12-2015 at 12:04 AM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting one CD. I had a look at Coay and he looked a lot lighter too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Is that really new though? Tendonitis I know has been treated with weight loss for a while, I remember Adam Cooney having one big leg and one small one
    That may of been because he was not able to do too much weights and training due to the continued soreness he was getting.

Certainly it was always a focus on ACL's to build up muscle strength on that leg to try and improve stability around the knee. But size and strength can be two very different things.

You could also say that our game has moved from the emphasis on the size of the players to their running ability and versatility.

At the Social club night I was surprised to see how lean and lacking in real size our players are. In particular the big guys, they look more like volleyballers or high jumpers than footballers.
    Minson a good example, he's capable of having a very large frame naturally but he looked like he had been on a starvation diet, I haven't seen him that lean since he was drafted.

There is definitely a shift in trends going on, both enforced for recovery and for modern football needs.

6. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Certainly it was always a focus on ACL's to build up muscle strength on that leg to try and improve stability around the knee. But size and strength can be two very things.
    As well as size and strength, the key has historically been developing motor control of the muscles, particularly VMO (vastus medialis oblique, which can be felt just above and inside of the kneecap). It's all well and good to build up massive muscles, but I liken it to having a fast car...there's no point having the car if you can't control the steering.

As with a lot of things related to ACL it is up for debate about whether this is still the best way to go (though I don't work in sports so certainly not an authority on the subject), and I'd be interested to know more about Libba and particularly Clay's rehab programs.

8. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Zaine busted a bone in his hand today and will be out for a few weeks. That's all I know, anyone hear anything further?

Post Thanks / Like

Just received a reminder email of the East West family day at Wesley College from 8:00am to 12:00pm on Jan 23.

Particularly pleased that it will be a "full training session".
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see that Normal Service has resumed with the East West day after last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Good to see that Normal Service has resumed with the East West day after last year.

Yeah that's a point. is it a full family day with all he bells and whistles?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah that's a point. is it a full family day with all he bells and whistles?
    I'm hoping it returns to the old format where the players train for an hour or so, the new players are presented to the crowd by the coach, and the players mill around for photos/autographs.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I'm hoping it returns to the old format where the players train for an hour or so, the new players are presented to the crowd by the coach, and the players mill around for photos/autographs.
    I like it better than the main Family Day. Far less people and no worries having a chat with the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

I was going to ask if the players were going to train for the full four hours from 8-12. An hour sounds far better.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Some different training. The boys ride bikes along Great Ocean Road with Simon Clarke:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That team kit is pretty awesome.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

22. Likes Happy Days liked this post