Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Or they could sit up on the grass hill of mt mistake and watch from there. That's one of the things I hope they have foreseen.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about it, Bevo must have plenty on the agenda: the new interchange rules; rule tweaks around protecting players; 2nd ruck arrangements; repertoire (new defensive and offensive tactics).

While it is sad not to be able to wander down and watch the lads go through their paces this preseason, I appreciate that we have a coach who seems to know how to innovate and implement on-field change in a team (it is a rare gift) and wants to preserve the element of surprise for the crucial early season assault.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Woofers could always chip in for a drone with a camera and watch a live feed of training - as long as its not too windy, from stories I've heard about drones going astray after Xmas. But then again, how many calm days does the WO experience? Not many from my years of watching games there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Woofers could always chip in for a drone with a camera and watch a live feed of training - as long as its not too windy, from stories I've heard about drones going astray after Xmas. But then again, how many calm days does the WO experience? Not many from my years of watching games there.
    You can't see much unless you get fairly close, and I think they would notice a drone buzzing 20m over their heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    You can't see much unless you get fairly close, and I think they would notice a drone buzzing 20m over their heads.
    Trying to hit a drone with a footy sounds like good training for the boys, should really sharpen up their foot skills.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was talking to somebody who attended training today. Was very taken with Josh Dunkley, said he moved like a natural through the drills, had sharp skills, looks physically developed and was very vocal in a positive way. Thought he carried himself like someone ready to go.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Was talking to somebody who attended training today. Was very taken with Josh Dunkley, said he moved like a natural through the drills, had sharp skills, looks physically developed and was very vocal in a positive way. Thought he carried himself like someone ready to go.
    Since Jason Mc Cartney came in that's the only kind of player we have recruited, driven and wanting to win kids.
    If the attitude is wrong we won't draft them.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I certainty understand and acknowledge the decision to hold these closed sessions, are these hit and giggle open training sessions that we're being able to attend actually hurting the club financially?

Are we potentially missing out on memberships? I'm sure I speak for a large number of members and non-members when I say reading detailed training reports this time of year really gets the juices flowing. Or being able to see Stringer, Bont and our new recruit Libba going 100% and looking a millions dollars would be enough to convince fence sitters to jump on-board.

We may get thumped by 8 goals Round 1 and those fence sitters decide to hold off for another year.

Bevo is obviously working on a few things and I applaud that, but surely we could still get at least one session a fortnight that we get access to all players and a decent hit out at training, not just the light jobbing and autograph signing which is being currently served up.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of crowd are they getting at open training? I haven't been to one yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    Whilst I certainty understand and acknowledge the decision to hold these closed sessions, are these hit and giggle open training sessions that we're being able to attend actually hurting the club financially?

Are we potentially missing out on memberships? I'm sure I speak for a large number of members and non-members when I say reading detailed training reports this time of year really gets the juices flowing. Or being able to see Stringer, Bont and our new recruit Libba going 100% and looking a millions dollars would be enough to convince fence sitters to jump on-board.

We may get thumped by 8 goals Round 1 and those fence sitters decide to hold off for another year.

Bevo is obviously working on a few things and I applaud that, but surely we could still get at least one session a fortnight that we get access to all players and a decent hit out at training, not just the light jobbing and autograph signing which is being currently served up.
    Light jobbing ?? Each other or supporters included ? Now I'm worried ;-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone go to training today?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Some body did. I was driving home from Footscray and had to stop at the zebra crossing while some supporters walked across.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I went this morning DR and was mainly interested in the following:

1. players in rehab
    a) Redpath, Prudden, Roberts, Biggs and R Smith - straight line run thrus only
    b) Zordy, Hunter, Minson, Wood, C Smith - handball drills only
    c) Jong, Bonti - straight line kicking drills with the main group for around half the session only. Bonti looked comfortable (had the binoculars on him - didn't appear to be labouring/grimacing with any of the activities)

2. new recruits
    Good builds on Collins, Adams, Dunkley (as expected) and capable in the drills practiced.
    Williams worked well as did Lynch, but the latter's body is significantly smaller than any other player (incl Hamilton who I consider still slightly built).
    Suckling and Adcock looked like seasoned footballers (Suckers left cannon on show in a couple of the kicking drills)

3. recent recruits
    Toyd had one shoulder strapped (he had this strapped on Tuesday as well), but didn't seem to be compromised and joined in all the drills.
    Magic had his left shoulder strapped and had heavy strapping around his right knee, but he took part in all drills and didn't look troubled (I was more troubled....).
    CD, Webby, Dale all look bigger and more comfortable with the drills. Hamilton continues to show he is clever, but doesn't seem to exude the same confidence as the other 2nd year players (yet).

Jose Romero's eldest boy trained as well. I spoke briefly to Jose who said his son would be playing with Calder this year. He is small but solid enough for a teenager his size.

4. Libba
    Trained right thru and looked really comfortable. In one drill a player was potentially about to tackle him until Rohan Smith called out 'dont tackle' and Libba played thru and kicked a simulated goal which the other players around him cheered. Clearly they are still wary of his ACL injury.

The training session went from around 8.40 to 10.15 with the players signing autographs for the few supporters present.

The session started with the player's completing drills that required them kicking with their opposite foot, and finished with simple simulated matchplay (no tackling) in two groups at either end of the ground.

It would be hard to identify anyone in particular 'training the house down' from this morning's session, but as a group they all seemed to be enjoying the training session and were 'up and vocal' where the drills required them to be so.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I went this morning DR and was mainly interested in the following:

1. players in rehab
    a) Redpath, Prudden, Roberts, Biggs and R Smith - straight line run thrus only
    b) Zordy, Hunter, Minson, Wood, C Smith - handball drills only
    c) Jong, Bonti - straight line kicking drills with the main group for around half the session only. Bonti looked comfortable (had the binoculars on him - didn't appear to be labouring/grimacing with any of the activities)

2. new recruits
    Good builds on Collins, Adams, Dunkley (as expected) and capable in the drills practiced.
    Williams worked well as did Lynch, but the latter's body is significantly smaller than any other player (incl Hamilton who I consider still slightly built).
    Suckling and Adcock looked like seasoned footballers (Suckers left cannon on show in a couple of the kicking drills)

3. recent recruits
    Toyd had one shoulder strapped (he had this strapped on Tuesday as well), but didn't seem to be compromised and joined in all the drills.
    Magic had his left shoulder strapped and had heavy strapping around his right knee, but he took part in all drills and didn't look troubled (I was more troubled....).
    CD, Webby, Dale all look bigger and more comfortable with the drills. Hamilton continues to show he is clever, but doesn't seem to exude the same confidence as the other 2nd year players (yet).

Jose Romero's eldest boy trained as well. I spoke briefly to Jose who said his son would be playing with Calder this year. He is small but solid enough for a teenager his size.

4. Libba
    Trained right thru and looked really comfortable. In one drill a player was potentially about to tackle him until Rohan Smith called out 'dont tackle' and Libba played thru and kicked a simulated goal which the other players around him cheered. Clearly they are still wary of his ACL injury.

The training session went from around 8.40 to 10.15 with the players signing autographs for the few supporters present.

The session started with the player's completing drills that required them kicking with their opposite foot, and finished with simple simulated matchplay (no tackling) in two groups at either end of the ground.

It would be hard to identify anyone in particular 'training the house down' from this morning's session, but as a group they all seemed to be enjoying the training session and were 'up and vocal' where the drills required them to be so.
    Thanks. Excellent report.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Smads
    The curse is dead.