Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Some body did. I was driving home from Footscray and had to stop at the zebra crossing while some supporters walked across.
    That's nearly enough info to get me interested. Did they make it? More importantly did Josh Dunkley and all the recruits dazzle them?
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    That's nearly enough info to get me interested. Did they make it? More importantly did Josh Dunkley and all the recruits dazzle them?

The pedestrians made it across Cross st without me running them down, I try not to hit the people wearing red, white and blue-the others can fend for themselves. Is that what you wanted to know?

I didn't actually see training, just drove past.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes Greystache, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pedestrians made it across Cross st without me running them down, I try not to hit the people wearing red, white and blue-the others can fend for themselves. Is that what you wanted to know?

Terry Wheeler once gave way to me at a roundabout in Footscray or thereabouts. He had right of way but he thought I was going hard enough to be given way. I didn't know who this magnanimous driver was until I entered the intersection and our eyes met, his with magnanimity, mine with deference.
    Like yours, this was another case of the red white and blue avoiding running over each other. I'm jealous you go past WO so regularly that you can report on the zebra crossing but really I'm grateful a WOOFER is overlooking the hallowed ground.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Terry Wheeler once gave way to me at a roundabout in Footscray or thereabouts. He had right of way but he thought I was going hard enough to be given way. I didn't know who this magnanimous driver was until I entered the intersection and our eyes met, his with magnanimity, mine with deference.
    Like yours, this was another case of the red white and blue avoiding running over each other. I'm jealous you go past WO so regularly that you can report on the zebra crossing but really I'm grateful a WOOFER is overlooking the hallowed ground.
    Im moving pretty soon. Owner has sold and the new owners want to move in. Not far though just around the corner and up the road a bit. I'll still be walking distance from the ground just not as short a walk as it is now. Good thing that I like walking.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Melton have often said I wish I win tattslotto so I could buy a home near the sacred turf and spend my days in the pound having a coffee or beer watching training and getting to know the boys.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Smads. I went along yesterday too, but you have essentially covered it all so I'll keep my report brief.

Seeing Libba get involved in the majority of the session was a real highlight. In all of the kicking drills he is so clean - whilst he's not what I would call a penetrating foot he doesn't waste a touch, and that's off both feet.

To me Bont looked to be labouring a bit in the running he did with Jong. It may be a slow burn for him this season if he can't quite move as well as he'd like. It was good to see him spend a little bit of time taking shots at goal because he may spend more time forward, but his goal kicking was a bit off.

Redpath continues to look slimmer and slimmer. Given Crameri is out, I think Redpath is the likely bloke to have that 'lead high and wide' role with his improved motor.

Caleb Daniel has definitely not grown (in height).

Suckling kicked a nice long goal in one of the half field ball moving exercises. You can hear the players really call for the ball when he has it and despite burning a couple, he's going to really improve our F50 movement (and ability to score goals from outside 50) as he can spot up some difficult targets with fast moving kicks.

Minson also looks to have slimmed down a lot.

9. Thanks F'scary, bornadog, N/A, Bulldog4life, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Redpath continues to look slimmer and slimmer. Given Crameri is out, I think Redpath is the likely bloke to have that 'lead high and wide' role with his improved motor.
    I'm wondering if the thinking is to play both Redpath and Boyd as key forwards and the only way that was possible was for Redpath to transition into the type of running forward that Crameri offered. Both boys could also pinch hit in the ruck.
    With Redpath's aggression even a slimmed down version will be intimidating.

Quite a few players in various rehab phases which isn't ideal but it should get better soon enough.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm wondering if the thinking is to play both Redpath and Boyd as key forwards and the only way that was possible was for Redpath to transition into the type of running forward that Crameri offered. Both boys could also pinch hit in the ruck.

Quite a few players in various rehab phases which isn't ideal but it should get better soon enough.
    Yes, agree re Redpath. Going to be interesting to see how we structure up during the NAB Cup, but perhaps one ruck and the two big forwards will cover us. Redpath's improved motor will hopefully mean less rotation to the bench, meaning we can carry Tom Boyd a bit as he continues to develop his.

Regarding the rehab group, the main concerns for me are Roberts (has been in that group the majority of sessions I've been too) Jong (likewise) and maybe Prudden (I'm not 100% on him though). Clay and Roarke will both be a while off (although watching Roarke move you wouldn't have known he had done his ACL 4 months ago) but unless I'm missing something, I'd be confident the others will be right to go.

12. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

H
    Yes, agree re Redpath. Going to be interesting to see how we structure up during the NAB Cup, but perhaps one ruck and the two big forwards will cover us. Redpath's improved motor will hopefully mean less rotation to the bench, meaning we can carry Tom Boyd a bit as he continues to develop his.

Regarding the rehab group, the main concerns for me are Roberts (has been in that group the majority of sessions I've been too) Jong (likewise) and maybe Prudden (I'm not 100% on him though). Clay and Roarke will both be a while off (although watching Roarke move you wouldn't have known he had done his ACL 4 months ago) but unless I'm missing something, I'd be confident the others will be right to go.
    Is there such a thing as a minor ACL? Some players you see in rehab after even 6 months still labouring and struggling with movement but with Roarke you just couldn't the tell looking at him, both his legs look the same size, he doesn't struggle with lateral movement. But with Libba even you could still tell the leg he did a couple of months ago because it was half the size of his other leg.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report Smads57. Much appreciated.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm wondering if the thinking is to play both Redpath and Boyd as key forwards and the only way that was possible was for Redpath to transition into the type of running forward that Crameri offered.
    Redpath's improved motor will hopefully mean less rotation to the bench, meaning we can carry Tom Boyd a bit as he continues to develop his.
    I had a little bit to do with Redpath when he played his juniors with Kyneton. I was one of the club's trainers.

I witnessed him do his ACL for a second time when he was 18 years old.

Having done two ACL as a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old threw away any chance he had of being drafted in 2010, let alone being drafted in the top five as some experts were anticipating after his 2008 season in the u18s as a 16-year-old.

The affect those injuries have done to Big Red means he does not have the lateral movement that is obviously crucial. He is a beast, and an intimidating one at that, when running in straight lines. I don't think he will ever have the physical ability nor the confidence to move laterally in a dynamic motion.

For this reason, it's sad that he will never reach his full potential. I am confident he would already be considered a star had he not had two serious setbacks.

I'm not saying he won't have a role to play, because he definitely has traits that still allows him to have an impact, but I think it's unfair to expect him to have the same running paterns and movement as Crameri. Not many players would be able to match the athleticism of Crameri, so it's unfair to expect him to transition into the same type of player.

You will have to look elsewhere if you're trying to find a player to replace Crameri. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges by including Redpath in this discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers CBM can you tell us a bit about his 2008 season perhaps?

Maybe he would be better suited to CHB if lateral movement is an issue? It's mostly running in straight lines from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers CBM can you tell us a bit about his 2008 season perhaps?

Maybe he would be better suited to CHB if lateral movement is an issue? It's mostly running in straight lines from there.
    I was only the Kyenton trainer in 2009 and 2010, so unfortunately I missed his 2008 season.

I only ever heard positive things about him. When he came back in 2010, from memory he lasted three or four games and was taking strong contested marks and kicking goals from 55m consistently. His partner in crime was James Condos. Redpath was the CHF and Condos (who consistently kicked 6-10 goals every week) was the FF who amazed me with the amount of freakish goals he kicked.

One highlight that stands out of Redpath is him attacking the ball at full speed by taking possession of the footy on the volley with his back towards goal, and continuing to run away from goal by charging at two opponents, one of whom was intent on talking, and the other intent on laying a bump. Redpath left them both for dead, knocking them both to the ground with his brute strength, before giving off a handball.

It was a luxury when he played for Kyenton, which usually meant the Bendigo Bombers had a bye. He definitely used to play at Full Back for them in the VFL, so he has played there. But 100% as a forward for Kyenton.

18. Thanks boydogs, Dry Rot, N/A, bornadog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CBM. Kyneton has the best fish and hip shop I've been to.

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly knocked someone over there back in the early 90's
    Still sends shivers down the spine