Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Is it me or does this seem like the longest pre-season ever?

I guess expectation does that to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think when the cricket and tennis are as boring as they have been it would seem so.
    Unless it's Davis Cup or lawn I get bored by tennis pretty quickly anyway but the cricket has been dull this year. It's kind of like they have played reluctantly. Last summer with the WC and all it was a brilliant season but this season just seems a bit of a drag. I love cricket with a passion but I didn't watch a lot of test cricket this summer. Maybe it's because I love cricket so much that I didn't watch any of the tests.

I really enjoyed the BBL though. Great time of year, great time of night, just long enough to have a quick taste of cricket before bed and nobody is complaining that dad is watching cricket all day. Instead they actually watch it with me! Well sit in the room staring at iPads and asking the same question occasionally.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Cyberdoggie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four weeks to the first NAB cup match - not that I'm calendar watching. Much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One of the few players who tested well for speed and endurance at the draft camp. Great late pick for the risk/reward payoff
    He has one of the best beeps of all time, but where did he come in the repeat 20m sprint or the 3km trial? Obviously he has the endurance but Im not sure he has the capacity to cover the ground that quickly?

Seemed like he faded in games he played in last year - maybe due to his preseason injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    He has one of the best beeps of all time, but where did he come in the repeat 20m sprint or the 3km trial? Obviously he has the endurance but Im not sure he has the capacity to cover the ground that quickly?
    The Beep test is a repeat 20m sprint - not sure of his absolute speed over 20m but certain he made it under the magical 3sec mark.

Unsure about his time trial, TBH the 3km trial is less AFL relevant than repeat max effort testing anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

(I still get goosebumps hearing that beeping sound after copping the test so much as a youngster)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The Beep test is a repeat 20m sprint - not sure of his absolute speed over 20m but certain he made it under the magical 3sec mark.

Unsure about his time trial, TBH the 3km trial is less AFL relevant than repeat max effort testing anyway.

(I still get goosebumps hearing that beeping sound after copping the test so much as a youngster)
    He ran 3.00 seconds.

He actually recorded the exact same time in all three attempts which is pretty unusual.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

There is a repetitive sprint test that is different from the beep test. The former would be more about top speed, and the beep is about endurance.

As for the 3km time trial, Im just guessing, but would it indicate someones ability to get up and down the ground a bunch of times? Just general ability to cover large amounts of territory in a game at speed. Someone like Riewolt, for instance, would shit that in.

At any rate, quick of mind beats quick legs, but it would be nice for someone on the small side to have both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    There is a repetitive sprint test that is different from the beep test. The former would be more about top speed, and the beep is about endurance.

As for the 3km time trial, Im just guessing, but would it indicate someones ability to get up and down the ground a bunch of times? Just general ability to cover large amounts of territory in a game at speed. Someone like Riewolt, for instance, would shit that in.

At any rate, quick of mind beats quick legs, but it would be nice for someone on the small side to have both.
    His repeat sprint time was 25.29 would put him firmly in the average category at the draft camp.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

One of the few players who tested well for speed and endurance at the draft camp. Great late pick for the risk/reward payoff
    Daniel was a bit better than average for his 3 sprint times. He test very well for agility and of course recorded an outstanding 16 - 1 for the beep test. He was middle of the park for the repeat sprints. I can't find his 3km result but I don't think it was in the top bracket.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He loses them anyway most of the time by taking advantage of his low centre of gravity.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He loses them anyway most of the time by taking advantage of his low centre of gravity.
    Also the short legs which help in changing direction with a smaller turning circle, evasion.
    Footscray Football Republic.

12. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never thought he was particularly quick, it's just that he is always moving. He is constantly running at near top speed, and with his small turning circle it makes him hard to grab. Also when he does this with the ball he spends the whole time assessing where to give it off. As he runs with it he is constantly in the motion of handballing it but he never releases until he sees the right option. This combined with his ability to get the ball to his foot incredibly quickly means that he almost always can get it away before someone tackles him and looks quicker than everyone else.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Four weeks to the first NAB cup match - not that I'm calendar watching. Much.
    Only four weeks? Prepare your safety harnesses for take off from Whitten Aerodrome. Oxygen masks will drop if we reach Mach 2.
    "We flew so high I almost touched the face of God".
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I've never thought he was particularly quick, it's just that he is always moving. He is constantly running at near top speed, and with his small turning circle it makes him hard to grab. Also when he does this with the ball he spends the whole time assessing where to give it off. As he runs with it he is constantly in the motion of handballing it but he never releases until he sees the right option. This combined with his ability to get the ball to his foot incredibly quickly means that he almost always can get it away before someone tackles him and looks quicker than everyone else.
    That's a great analysis soupaman - never thought of it like that but makes perfect sense. When reading that, made me think of Greg Williams, who was short and not overly athletic. He wasn't quick over the ground but got to every contest and rarely got caught with his low centre of gravity, fast mind and fast hands.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont one of the lowest accelerating kids at draft camp (bottom 10%) but still manages to use smarts to hit the contest at speed so it's not noticeable on the field. Knowing where to run covers a multitude of below-average athletic traits.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    It's what I like to call implied speed. Daniel is only moderately quick (probably about average I guess) but he knows where to run and is never really caught flat footed since he's always moving.