Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bont one of the lowest accelerating kids at draft camp (bottom 10%) but still manages to use smarts to hit the contest at speed so it's not noticeable on the field. Knowing where to run covers a multitude of below-average athletic traits.
    Three small steps for a man, one giant leap for Bontempelli
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Only four weeks? Prepare your safety harnesses for take off from Whitten Aerodrome. Oxygen masks will drop if we reach Mach 2.
    "We flew so high I almost touched the face of God".
    Was Teddy Whitten alongside God?

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That's a great analysis soupaman - never thought of it like that but makes perfect sense. When reading that, made me think of Greg Williams, who was short and not overly athletic. He wasn't quick over the ground but got to every contest and rarely got caught with his low centre of gravity, fast mind and fast hands.

Lallly Bamblett was short, pudgy, slow as treacle with legs like two vats of jelly and made the best defenders in the competition grab more air or fall over themselves trying to catch him than any player in history. I still don't know how but he had this way of running that made the player chasing him cross his legs while he was chasing and they always fell over. It was hilarious. We'd just hoop with delight as Les waddled into the goal square unmolested and quietly tap another through.

He was amazing at intercepting defenders handballs too. A defender would handball to a teammate 5 metres away and Les would appear from nowhere between the two of them pluck the ball out of the air. All of a sudden he was goal side with the ball and the two closest defenders had their back to him wondering where the ball had gone.

Les Bamblett gave me more joy watching him than any other player. There's never been a more enjoyable footballer. There was never a dull moment with Lally, he was one of a kind.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Drunken Bum, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;479073]Was Teddy Whitten alongside God?]

No God FF, Teddy CHB.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Was Teddy Whitten alongside God?

Lallly Bamblett was short, pudgy, slow as treacle with legs like two vats of jelly and made the best defenders in the competition grab more air or fall over themselves trying to catch him than any player in history. I still don't know how but he had this way of running that made the player chasing him cross his legs while he was chasing and they always fell over. It was hilarious. We'd just hoop with delight as Les waddled into the goal square unmolested and quietly tap another through.

He was amazing at intercepting defenders handballs too. A defender would handball to a teammate 5 metres away and Les would appear from nowhere between the two of them pluck the ball out of the air. All of a sudden he was goal side with the ball and the two closest defenders had their back to him wondering where the ball had gone.

Les Bamblett gave me more joy watching him than any other player. There's never been a more enjoyable footballer. There was never a dull moment with Lally, he was one of a kind.
    Strangely this clip has hardly any Dougie Hawkins in it, but a good Bamblett goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u8mQPYtVw
    Last edited by GVGjr; 30-01-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Lazy typing

Post Thanks / Like

Lally was slow? I must have been watching a different bloke.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Lally was slow? I must have been watching a different bloke.

He wasn't fast fast but he knew where the ball was going better than anyone else. Me saying he wasn't fast is to properly contrast how amazing it was that he did things only lightning quick players usually only did. I'm not saying anything about lal. I'd have him back now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Strangely this clip has hardly any Dougie Hawkins in it, but a good Bamblett goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u8mQPYtVw
    Caught a couple of highlights of Bamblett on YouTube. Gee, he moves like Stringer.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

10. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bamblett first 20 metres was lightning and did a lot of the run straight through work so if the ball did fall in his hands no one would catch him.
    Stringer does it a lot too but up the ground more than Lally did.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

And each step Lally took he could have kicked it, hand balled it or changed direction or two of the three at once all without breaking stride so defenders had that habit of panicking that Stringer seems to cause. Defenders hate getting caught in 3 on 1s with Stringer and the bouncing ball because at least 2 of the 3 will fall over.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvAR4f1EWZY

He wasn't fast fast but he knew where the ball was going better than anyone else. Me saying he wasn't fast is to properly contrast how amazing it was that he did things only lightning quick players usually only did. I'm not saying anything about lal. I'd have him back now.
    I'm with you 100% on Lally TD. I'm on record here as saying he's my all time favourite Bulldog to watch. Not fast, but such a pure player whose mind was a step ahead of everyone around him. 8.40 of the above clip is a good example of Lally at his best.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITBWyKGbgQQ

At 27.50 Lally looks quick in this match winner, but it's his football brain that has him ahead of the play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITBWyKGbgQQ

At 27.50 Lally looks quick in this match winner, but it's his football brain that has him ahead of the play.
    Wasn't that the first win down at Geelong for 30 years or something ridiculous. I went to that game, it was so enjoyable.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wasn't that the first win down at Geelong for 30 years or something ridiculous. I went to that game, it was so enjoyable.
    I was there too BAD. Wonderful game of football. Lally kicked 5 or 6 sublime goals and a still fairly unknown Garry Ablett had about 30 possessions and kicked 5.9 for Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there too. We got called western suburban scum by one fine specimen of manhood. He snarled at us and disappeared into the crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Great signs to see that Bamblett is tearing up the training track this pre-season. He should have a massive 2016.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes F'scary, Maddog37 liked this post