Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  193
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-season training - 2016

I was at the training session this morning for only the second half hour and watched a training drill out on the Hawkins wing. The drill resembled moving the ball from one forward flank to the opposing forward flank with two teams of approx 8 players each. Jake and Crammers were on one team and Toyd on the other. 'Suckers' (as the players referred to him) was also part of the drill. Players to impress included Toby McLean, Picken, Macrae, Jake and Hunter. Wouldn't mind if someone else who was there could confirm their opinion on whether Dale looked a couple of centimetres taller. He moved well also.
    Some of the players then played an 8 a side soccer match in front of the Gent Stand. Clearly soccer is not for the big boys with Zaine lacking in any dribbling skills whereas the little blokes (Hunter, Daniel, Hamilton) got stuck into the game.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

2. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I was at the training session this morning for only the second half hour and watched a training drill out on the Hawkins wing. The drill resembled moving the ball from one forward flank to the opposing forward flank with two teams of approx 8 players each. Jake and Crammers were on one team and Toyd on the other. 'Suckers' (as the players referred to him) was also part of the drill. Players to impress included Toby McLean, Picken, Macrae, Jake and Hunter. Wouldn't mind if someone else who was there could confirm their opinion on whether Dale looked a couple of centimetres taller. He moved well also.
    Some of the players then played an 8 a side soccer match in front of the Gent Stand. Clearly soccer is not for the big boys with Zaine lacking in any dribbling skills whereas the little blokes (Hunter, Daniel, Hamilton) got stuck into the game.

I certainly would agree that Dale looked taller. I was also impressed by McLean and Hunter.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There were two groups and I focused on the one on my side fo the ground and I thought Biggs got caught a couple of times and his kicks were picked off a couple of times as well. Caleb Daniel on the other hand was one I thought handled the congested play well.
    Cordy might have got caught a couple of times but looked better than most.

Perhaps I'm too cautious but Liberatore still looks a bit off the mark for mine although I could be thrown by how much leaner he looked than 12 months back.
    Libba's leg still looks pencil thin to me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Any news on young Roarke Smith?
    I read that he was slated to return later in the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Any observations on Tommy Boyd GVG / Smads?

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading a few interesting things about ACL recos last week:
    - number of sportsmen returning to 'previous level' hits it's peak at about 2 years post injury (60% returned to normal) then starts dropping off again. Only one third are at their 'previous level' after one year.
    - there is no statistical difference in return to play percentages at 2 years between patients who have had ACL reco surgery, and those who have been conservatively managed (ie no surgery) -- 39% for no surgery, 44% with immediate surgery, 30% with delayed surgery -- interesting in the case of Clay, as someone with conservative management is playing with no intact ACL but relying on their quads for stability...
    - after 6 months, every month you wait before return to play reduces your risk of reinjury by 24%!!!
    - there is a massive psychological component - there is a higher percentage of return to play, earlier return to play and better perception of recovery in psychologically sound patients

It was all from an as yet unpublished paper but found it quite interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    - number of sportsmen returning to 'previous level' hits it's peak at about 2 years post injury (60% returned to normal) then starts dropping off again. Only one third are at their 'previous level' after one year.
    - there is no statistical difference in return to play percentages at 2 years between patients who have had ACL reco surgery, and those who have been conservatively managed (ie no surgery) -- 39% for no surgery, 44% with immediate surgery, 30% with delayed surgery -- interesting in the case of Clay, as someone with conservative management is playing with no intact ACL but relying on their quads for stability...
    - after 6 months, every month you wait before return to play reduces your risk of reinjury by 24%!!!
    - there is a massive psychological component - there is a higher percentage of return to play, earlier return to play and better perception of recovery in psychologically sound patients

That certainly puts the number of AFL players who get back in the higher bracket because I would think it would be more than a third.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

That certainly puts the number of AFL players who get back in the higher bracket because I would think it would be more than a third.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeh it wasn't specific to 'elite' sport as far as I could tell, so would have included me getting back to div2 amateur football. Small sample size of only 100 people too, so definitely not definitive but still interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on young Roarke Smith?
    I went to training this morning and noticed Roarke doing some very simple, slow leg lefts (Just lifting his leg with knee bent). He was just inside the door of the training centre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meshe1969 View Post
    I went to training this morning and noticed Roarke doing some very simple, slow leg lefts (Just lifting his leg with knee bent). He was just inside the door of the training centre
    Thanks meshe1969, sounds like he is a long way off playing - I got a little optimistic with Libba's news and forgot how late in the season Roarke was injured.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Any observations on Tommy Boyd GVG / Smads?
    Tom Boyd was part of the drill I was watching on the Hawkins wing and moved well - nothing spectacular just looked comfortable playing his role. He wasn't asked by the coaching staff to play a particular role different from any of the other participants from what I observed.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

15. Thanks Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks meshe1969, sounds like he is a long way off playing - I got a little optimistic with Libba's news and forgot how late in the season Roarke was injured.
    I think third last game against West Coast although not 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think third last game against West Coast although not 100%
    Did it the week after in the VFL against Werribee.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard keeping track of all the players but I tried to keep an eye on Collins, Adcock and Williams.
    Collins just trained like he had done those drills a number of times and looked comfortable. Williams has quick reflexes and nice skills and Adcock of course had seen it all before. I can see Adcock improving on his form from last year if he gets the opportunities. This will be a substantially better training facility than what he has been used to and he has a point to prove. When his name was initially linked to us I wasn't 100% sure but I now think he will be a great addition.

One other player that I thought was noticeable was Crameri. I know he normally trains well but he did keep catching the eye and I'm still hopeful that Tom Campbell keeps improving. He looked alright yesterday
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Thanks Bulldog4life, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post