Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sucker for Punishmemt?

The only to take into consideration is relativity.

In relation to 1997 it's not the worst feeling I've ever felt at the footy. And ahead, we have Tommy Boyd with a gun forward line around him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The only to take into consideration is relativity.

In relation to 1997 it's not the worst feeling I've ever felt at the footy. And ahead, we have Tommy Boyd with a gun forward line around him.
    And a gun midfield.

I would swap our current back line for the 2009 version - but keep Easton Wood
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And a gun midfield.

I would swap our current back line for the 2009 version - but keep Easton Wood
    Harbrow Lake Morris
    Wood Murphy Gilbee

No Shaggy..
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Harbrow Lake Morris
    Wood Murphy Gilbee

No Shaggy..
    Murphy played quasi CHF that night.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A combination best 22 of 2009 and 2015/16 would be fun.

Harbrow Lake Wood (2015)
    Murphy (2015) Morris (2009) Gilbee
    Ward (2009) Libba Bontempelli
    Crameri Stringer Dahlhaus
    Dickson Johnno Gia
    Hudson (2009) Griffen (2009) Boyd (2009)
    Macrae Cross (2009) Picken (2015) Wallis
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The Akermanis deliberate free was there, he should've gone in board.
    One of the worse interpretations of a free kick. The rule was never designed for kicks like Akers, but no the umpires have to go and put their own stamp on it. If I remember, from that free, the ball is centred and then sent straight to Rievolting and we lose.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the overlying trend throughout the game is interpretation.

Every single time something could have been interpreted as an infringement against us, it was. Aker's deliberate, Lake's small touch on Diver Dan after getting a warning against doing so (as far as I'm aware, the first and only time a single player has been told not to be touched at the start of a quarter) at the start of the third, and all the others that have been mentioned were interpreted against us.

I genuinely watch every single game and cringe at the fact that before the bounce at each quarter no free kick is ever paid for contact, whether it be bumping, jumper punching or high contact before the bounce. How that ever happened in a preliminary final I'll never know.....

8. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think the overlying trend throughout the game is interpretation.

Every single time something could have been interpreted as an infringement against us, it was. Aker's deliberate, Lake's small touch on Diver Dan after getting a warning against doing so (as far as I'm aware, the first and only time a single player has been told not to be touched at the start of a quarter) at the start of the third, and all the others that have been mentioned were interpreted against us.

I genuinely watch every single game and cringe at the fact that before the bounce at each quarter no free kick is ever paid for contact, whether it be bumping, jumper punching or high contact before the bounce. How that ever happened in a preliminary final I'll never know.....
    The hypocrisy that night in the umpiring was disgusting!

Any one recall the whole page in The Age devoted to all the contentious decision the following day with the AFL stating the Umps got every one of them correct!?!? It was a fix!

PS: Good-luck trying to rationlise to a Saints moron that they got lucky with the umps that night! If you feel the need to do so however, have a pic handy of Riewoldt taken in the Miami Hotel Room, show them and say that this will be his over-riding legacy of his career!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you can bear it!

Walking out of the game my sister and I literally bumped into Choco Williams - seeing our scarves he grabbed us and said it was the worst umpiring he'd ever seen and we'd been completely screwed over.

Poor decisions often even out, or don't affect the result. It wasn't the case with that match, though it also has to be said that the chances we squandered in the 1st quarter could have made it all irrelevant.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes Drunken Bum, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was very upset after that game and kicked a few bins to the ground in a psychotic rage.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Centrally planned games like that are why I continually find myself losing interest in the sport. That game was everything the AFL strives to achieve.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to watch the game from a neutral perspective, and some of it from a St Kilda POV......

St Kilda POV - gee we got some lucky free kicks but who cares now, we are in a Granny - I get to pay $1500 for a ticket from a scalper only to find out it is fake, head to the pub to watch the game and see us lose thanks to &*%$ Scarlett's toe poke.

Neutral view- Saints certainly got the rub of the green, but the 2 best teams are in the Granny. Doggies need a power forward.

Bulldog tragic view - #$%^^$ Razor, %^$$@ McInerney, ^&%$#@ McBurney. It's all their fault we kicked 2.5 in the 1st quarter and make Gia and Gilbee miss easy shots in the last quarter.

To be fair the reason we lost was that we kicked 2.5 in the 1st Q and 1.4 in the last Q - bad kicking is bad football - but blaming the umpires is more palatable that blaming "our heroes".
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Still outrageous after half time. Kosi made more contact remonstrating on Lake.
    If the Lake contact on Riewoldt was a free kick, the Koshitske contact on Lake should have resulted in the free being reversed.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post