Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs forward Boyd needs to find his athletic side

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-2...ide-montgomery

This article is a little concerning (just a little). It's the type of thing a club puts out into the media when they feel a player needs a bit of a rev up. Anyone heard anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs forward Boyd needs to find his athletic side

I agree the article is a little concerning. I don't like when Montgomery speaks in the media. It better to not say anything like that in public. Who can forget the Lake discussion via the media and that did not end up happy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Monty's comments are fine, and absolutely spot on.

4. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they?
    I know his questioning of Lake's commitment irked more than a few.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Are they?
    Like Lake, it's the decision to put it out into the media that is cause for a little concern. Not saying it's the case here, but sometimes these things are said in-house, with the media only used as a last resort if the penny is not dropping.

On the other hand, looks in ripping nick in that photo.

Post Thanks / Like

I share a few of the concerns with this - Brett clearly doesn't mind being 'honest' in the media hey?

Not that I disagree with any of Brett's assertions - I'm hoping Tom wears out 3 to 4 pairs of runners this summer in a bid to become as Josh Kennedy as possible.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike the interview re Lake he hasn't questioned Boyd's commitment....just highlighted the areas he needs to work on.

My biggest concern is whether Boyd is actually capable of this. He's a naturally lumbering type. Interesting how they are treating Boyd....no-one is going to gift him senior games no matter what we are paying him. At some point in time the pressure is going to come on the club if it's established that we are paying $1m to a back up resting ruckman.

From my point of view I think the area needing the most work is his core strength to avoid being outbodied, as well his ability to clunk marks he gets his hands to.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Are they?
    Forget who actually made the comments for a moment, and point out to me what's wrong with them.

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's spot on to be honest .
    Tom has to lose a bit of puppy fat and get athletic .
    He's a kid in footy terms, and I'm sure he'll take it as constructive criticism .
    Doesn't strike me as a kid who'll
    Sook it up

Post Thanks / Like

No player is perfect. Always something to work on. His price tag will always draw some heat. Love him to become more competitive and aggressive.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Forget who actually made the comments for a moment, and point out to me what's wrong with them.
    Whilst the comments are probably spot on, some things should not be said via the media . We need positive positive positive so we don't alarm our supporters

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they are perfectly reasonable comments and completely on-point with regard to how the game is progressing for KPP's (with the cap rotations). If people are alarmed at such benign comments, that is their problem really.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about context though. The AFL website are running the story under the following headline:

"On Draft Eve, A Dogs Coach Gives This Former No.1 A CLIP ON THE EAR." (Their emphasis).

Monty has been around long enough to know how his comments would be reported. Such comments, regarding an individual already under immense pressure as a 20YO getting paid a huge wage, are pointed. However benign the comments on face value, the reasons behind Monty choosing to put more public pressure on Boyd are a little concerning.

16. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    It's all about context though. The AFL website are running the story under the following headline:

"On Draft Eve, A Dogs Coach Gives This Former No.1 A CLIP ON THE EAR." (Their emphasis).

Monty has been around long enough to know how his comments would be reported. Such comments, regarding an individual already under immense pressure as a 20YO getting paid a huge wage, are pointed. However benign the comments on face value, the reasons behind Monty choosing to put more public pressure on Boyd are a little concerning.
    Spot on PP, every article about Boyd by those outside the club keep pressuring him about the big salary. We don't need one of our own to do the same in public. Behind closed doors, fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake?
    A guy who couldn't even get on the paddock without painkillers - suppositories - having his commitment publically questioned?

Or Boyd - a kid who has been under more scrutiny than any draftee/trade in we've ever had, finally getting out of the media spotlight to have someone from the club bring him up in the media?

I think any concerns poster here have are valid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post