Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Academy System

After seeing tonight first hand this system what do you guys think of it.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Academy System

I'm confused to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Ball of Confusion for me.
    ''Dogs are Talking''- The Angels

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. The Academy clubs are getting a real advantage, but they do also have substantial developmental responsibilities.

Ultimately, I'd like to see all clubs allocated zones/academies and draft night being an egalitarian bidding/trading process.
    Smokey this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I like it. The Academy clubs are getting a real advantage, but they do also have substantial developmental responsibilities.

Ultimately, I'd like to see all clubs allocated zones/academies and draft night being an egalitarian bidding/trading process.
    I hate what it does to the trade period and I don't think it adds much value to the draft night.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Were there any signs of the colluding the AFL was concerned about?

We obviously didn't play the academy ball with our first pick and apparently sent the AFL into a tail spin that halted proceedings for several minutes - I would like to hear more on the incident. Were we spoiling the night by forcing Brisbane to pay more and by not letting young Dunkley slip to where the Swans get him super cheap?
    Resign Jong, today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Were there any signs of the colluding the AFL was concerned about?
    Well, we gave Sydney Talia on the cheap and they didn't match the bid for Dunkley
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the new system but the 20% discount made it look farcical last night. Clubs had to giuve up say picks 36 and 37 for 13 and 46, which is a bit of a joke. Maybe make the 20% discount a little less, even just 10%. Still gives them a discount and access to a quality kid that they have developed below market value, but not for a pittance.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Well, we gave Sydney Talia on the cheap and they didn't match the bid for Dunkley
    If that's the case, hooray! that we drove a truck through the AFL's flimsy rules.
    Resign Jong, today.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks primed to land multicultural forward

EXCITING forward Changkuoth Jiath leads a group of 11 draft prospects eligible to join clubs as Next Generation Academy players this year.

Jiath, who plays for the Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup and for Xavier College at school level in Melbourne, can join Hawthorn under the AFL's rules to boost the numbers of multicultural and indigenous talent in League ranks.

The lightly framed Jiath has impressed at stages this season across half-forward with his pace and endurance, and creative streak. He will be subject to the same bidding process as father-son and northern academy players if a rival club places a bid on him during the national NAB AFL Draft later this year in Sydney.

However, clubs were able to select the NGA eligible players automatically as category B rookies last year if they were overlooked as both rookies and for senior list positions.

Jiath is one of four NGA players who have been approved as eligible for the Hawks this year, including ruckman Tony Olango, who was overlooked last year.

The list is a rolling group, with more names set to be added as the year goes on and more players are identified by clubs. An AFL committee rules on each prospect's eligibility before the group is officially updated.

The Hawks, Carlton and Richmond appear to have the most prominent NGA zones so far, with the Tigers having three players qualifying for this year's draft.

The group of 42 names approved by the AFL includes prospects who will be eligible to join clubs as far away as the 2023 draft.

Next year could see the first top-end player taken under NGA rules, with North Melbourne having access to Tarryn Trindall (Thomas) via its Tasmanian zone. He is a member of the NAB AFL Academy and has already excited recruiters over the past 18 months.

The Hawks could also benefit again in two years with talented under-16 player Todd Garner in the club's NGA academy. He is the younger brother of highly touted Joel Garner, a sweeping left-footer who is in the frame to be a first-round pick this season.

NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY – ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Buku Khamis (2018), St Albans, Multicultural

other teams here
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone wondering who Buku Khamis is, here and here some details.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of African guys, and women, in Footscray that look to have perfect proportions to play AFL. About 191 cms (that's 6 foot 3 inches I think) and really powerful. I can only assume that a generation of their kids are waiting at home to dominate the AFL some time in the next 10 years.

Bring it on. As a sport we need as many quality athletes playing our sport as we can get. If the African kids around the Western suburbs throw their lot in with footy it will give us a huge pool of potential players.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Hawks could also benefit again in two years with talented under-16 player Todd Garner in the club's NGA academy. He is the younger brother of highly touted Joel Garner, a sweeping left-footer who is in the frame to be a first-round pick this season.
    Are their parents big West Indian cricket fans?

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea on Buku's height?

I like the bidding process, good to get a small advantage if it means other clubs aren't plundering top end talent.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Any idea on Buku's height?

I like the bidding process, good to get a small advantage if it means other clubs aren't plundering top end talent.
    On Western Jets web page, he is listed as 188cm - I expect he will grow some more.

Here is another recent story.