Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Academy System

I like this bit too, hope Jamarra is correct:

Yea their will be changes to the NGA's but he doesn't expect their to be a change to the Doggies NGA zoning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good to hear we're getting involved with the mission and his father's program and it sounds like our involvement in his playing development will increase over the next 18 months.
    Bevo does work with Wugubank Partnership - a cultural exchange program between the Wugularr (NT) and Penbank (VIC) schools. Two little schools that visit each other and learn from one another in the spirit of growing together.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope the AFL release their revised NGA rules soon.
    I will be devastated if revised rules mean we miss out on Jamarra.

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been anything more about the NGA Review since there was some ambiguous reports about changes to the system?
    I'd love to have some finality about whether or not Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is going to get to us.
    He increasingly sounds like the type of prospect that could make our forward line the envy of the competition with him, Schache & Naughton up front.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found this on AFL website.
    https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-12...big-calls-loom

This bit sounds promising.

"Another consideration for clubs during this year's exchange period is whether they have any father-son or Academy players available.

"That's what could shape some decisions for clubs," said one list manager.

"Clubs with biases towards those players could try to bring in more middle-range picks for extra draft points.

"That's where clubs who haven't got any players coming through next year are in a good position, because their picks might be more valuable for other clubs to try to get off them before next year."

There's a few in this camp. The Western Bulldogs have first call on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, a tall indigenous forward who is tied to them through their Next Generation and who shapes as an early selection."

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamarra didn't have his kicking boots on but the talent is their for all to see.

U17 futures match highlights below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_MabjFd34

10. Thanks bornadog, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Bevo Press conference:

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has lashed out at rival recruiters amid uproar over generous concessions the Bulldogs will receive to secure the best underage player in the country.

Gun forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is widely considered this year’s top draft prospect and is headed to the kennel as part of the club’s academy system.

The Bulldogs will receive a 20 per cent discount on Ugle-Hagan under the Next Generation Academy rules.

Beveridge said he believed the NGA program should be expanded rather than reigned in, saying recruiters calling for that should “take a good hard look at themselves”.

“Our club has put a lot of time into Jamarra and nurtured him and looked after him and that’s what the NGA academy is all about, and the father-son side of things,” Beveridge said.

“It’s an opportunity for every club. Every club’s doing it. I was surprised there was uproar just because maybe we’ve got an opportunity if Jamarra is that player who’s going to be an early pick.

Watch every match of the Marsh Community Series AFL pre-season comp LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

“What we should be doing is going even further in allowing clubs to put more time into potential academy players. I’m not saying we go back to full zoning, but what it does is it injects incentive to the communities, whether it’s regional, whether it’s metropolitan. That’s what’s happened with Jamarra.

“He’s at a private school, he’s learnt a lot with us in his time and he’s coming on. But he’s no different to an Isaac Heeney or any number of those players.

“Whoever the recruiters were or scouts who have expressed their short-sighted understanding of how our game needs to grow and how we need to continue to pump money, time, resources into our code right across the country. It’s extremely disappointing.” Link
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bevo's criticism of the article & the scouts/recruiters whinging about Jamarra specifically just because he may end up a generational talent, given other clubs have also had access to highly rated youngsters at a discount.

But I disagree the NGA set up needs to be expanded any further/ In my opinion, at the very least, the discounting stops. Clubs are still incentivised to invest in NGA kids as they are given direct access to draft them, but the days of discounts should be over.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know the real conversation that the Hersld Sun had, I am backing they have twisted it to make it a story.
    I read an article maybe it was the main one but at first it said clubs approached the Herald/sun, why would they contact a newspaper? Didn’t know they were the governing body.
    Then in the same article it says they contacted clubs.
    Funny it wasn’t bought up with Tarryn Thomas.
    Bit of a narrative the herald sun has bought up occasionally the last year or so when they haven’t got a story.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Just have to point out, it should be 'reined in' like a horse, not 'reigned in' like a monarch.

16. Likes bornadog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some irony that Tarryn Thomas was by far North's best player last night.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The system is fine but the clubs are scrambling because it's a shallow draft and many of the better players are as good as taken before the season starts. There isn't much in this

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo ? Our channel 7 beanie wearing reporter ?

Post Thanks / Like

Issac Heeney says hello

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Stevo ? Our channel 7 beanie wearing reporter ?
    The press read WOOF but they never out themselves.

Giddaye boys.
    WASH YOUR HANDS!!!