Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Academy System

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Got a few decent looking kids for 2020; Ugle-Hagan looks like he's something special, Nicolas Stevens is another tall midfielder and Fergus McDonald is a massive unit at 196 and 82 kilos and apparently decently quick as well.
    196cm & 82kg at 16yo?

*!*!*!*! me! Come the draft he'll be 270cm and 120kg of pure muscle.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    196cm & 82kg at 16yo?

Even if he doesn't grow he's still a mountain. Can't guarantee that he'll have a growth spurt but he'd be pegged as a ruckman if he has another 5 odd centimeters in him.

Post Thanks / Like

196cm & 82kg at 16yo?

Ugle-Hagan is now 195cm apparently, was 193cm at the start of the year. Plays forward too.

Seems a mile out but damn he's exciting, going to part of the AFL academy next year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ugle-Hagan is now 195cm apparently, was 193cm at the start of the year. Plays forward too.

Seems a mile out but damn he's exciting, going to part of the AFL academy next year
    If we are going to get good Father/Sons and NGAs, then the AFEL will abolish both systems. We need to think about this.

6. Likes Remi Moses, Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, which of the players in our academy are eligible under the NGA program to be bid on by us? It's only the indigenous and multicultural players right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    So, which of the players in our academy are eligible under the NGA program to be bid on by us? It's only the indigenous and multicultural players right?
    That's right. Only the 4 NSW and Queensland teams have 'open' academies.

Personally I think the AFL should pay for all these academies and the players made available to all in the draft. All they do is compromise the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

On Dawson, this was a write up from April on afldraftcentral:

#9 Lochie Dawson – Best-on-ground performance. So strong, that the Falcons couldn’t bring him to ground. Such calm player, who seems to make really good decisions. Absolutely “beasted” the Falcons in the first half, and made it look like he was a man playing amongst boys. Topped off an outstanding day, with a goal through earned though hard gut running. Disposal lets him down at times, however if he can clean this up, he will be a star of the future. Dawson really needed to stand up for his side this week in the absence of Tom Berry and he did that and more.

In his last TAC game against Calder, he racked up 29 disposals and 9 marks. He seems to know how to find the footy:

#9 Lochie Dawson

Dawson started in the centre and spent the majority of game in the midfield. Dawson has a solid build for a midfielder, and showed his ability to make great decisions throughout the game, with good disposals by both hand and foot. He showed a good understanding with teammate Scott Carlin, as they linked up by hand often to get the ball forward for scoring opportunities for the Rebels. Despite copping a heavy knock in the second quarter and starting the third quarter on the interchange, he recovered well to have a strong impact on the game.

Averaging give or take 25-30 disposals a game, 4 marks, 5 tackles and three of his 8 games in the best with one BOG.
    Potential NGA player, Lochie Dawson's stats for his TAC year:

Lochie Dawson: Kicks 129, HB 205, Disposals 334, Marks 45, CP 158, UP 183, T 79, Clearances 61, I50 33, R50 27, Goals 3.

16 Games, in the Best X 5, one best on ground (see post above for report)
    Averages per game (give or take): 8 kicks, 13 HB, 21 disposals, 3 marks, 10 CP, 11 UP, 5 tackles, 4 Clearnces, 2 R50, 2 R50.

Equal 13th in the entire TAC Cup for total disposals.
    Equal 11th in the entire TAC Cup for tackles.
    9th in the entire TAC Cup for clearances.
    10th in the entire TAC Cup for contested possessions.
    I'm not thinking Chatfield will get a Cat B rookie contract. But I do wonder if Dawson might, as above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I see a lot of African guys, and women, in Footscray that look to have perfect proportions to play AFL. About 191 cms (that's 6 foot 3 inches I think) and really powerful. I can only assume that a generation of their kids are waiting at home to dominate the AFL some time in the next 10 years.

Bring it on. As a sport we need as many quality athletes playing our sport as we can get. If the African kids around the Western suburbs throw their lot in with footy it will give us a huge pool of potential players.
    I agree - there is a generation of kids with a physique not common in AFL that will Come through grass roots and develop the instictive side to match their physicality. I think it’ll change the game to a degree and make it a better sport for spectators.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I agree - there is a generation of kids with a physique not common in AFL that will Come through grass roots and develop the instictive side to match their physicality. I think it’ll change the game to a degree and make it a better sport for spectators.
    It's going to be a wild ride if these kids make AFL their instinctive, natural sport. Their physique is just perfect for the game. I think you are right and they have the capacity to change the way we play the game.

Majak is just the start.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

196cm & 82kg at 16yo?

We have an even bigger NGA kid playing at u16 level - Josh Rentsch is 196cm and 91kg. Playing. Under. 16s.

Freaking unit.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an even bigger NGA kid playing at u16 level - Josh Rentsch is 196cm and 91kg. Playing. Under. 16s.

Freaking unit.
    Jesus these boys are huge. Maybe the NGA side should be nicknamed 'The Dothraki'.

Post Thanks / Like

Freaking unit.
    I wonder how this kid is going

Edit: Just found some notes from U16 Trials

#27 Josh Rentsch (GWV Rebels)

Another who already boasts a solid frame, Rentsch formed a dangerous forward partnership with Justin Davies – particularly in the first half. Made an ideal start as he converted a free kick inside 50, and has a fluent kicking action. Showed more of the same in the second term with a strong mark on the lead and second set shot conversion, and looks to have natural forward capabilities. Also showed a bit on the move when he evaded a couple of opponents, but was eventually caught holding the ball as he bit off a little too much. Faded out of the game as it wore on, but otherwise showed good signs.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From BF, interesting posts re: JUH:

Hey guys, I am a relative of Marra's and a good friend, and found this board googling his name, so I thought I might give you guys some more info on him.
    He's been boarding at Scotch College for the past 2 1/2 years, since year 9. Best mates with Maurice Rioli Jr as they board in the same halls.
    Played firsts for Scotch last year at 15 in year 10, played mostly at half-forward or half-back. Came second in Scotch's firsts best and fairest, losing out to Rioli Jr. Played a few games for Greater Western Vic Rebels at the very end of the year.
    This year he's been playing for Oakleigh Chargers whenever Scotch don't have a game. I was fortunate enough to be at his game against Brighton Grammar where he kicked 9. Oakleigh were down by 2 goals at half time, and Marra had kicked 2 goals in the first half. But in the 3rd quarter he went ape-s**t and kicked 5, marked everything that came near him and totally dominated the contest even with 2 men marking him, putting Oakleigh up by 2 goals at 3qtr time, and in the 4th qtr he slotted another 2 to close the game out, kicking 9 total of Oakleighs 11.
    He's got some leadership potential imo, however hasn't had a lot of chance to show it due to playing above his age group constantly, but will have a chance to next year.
    His family are all Essendon or Richmond fans, (I fall into the latter), with him being a Essendon man. I've tried and failed to convert him to the Tiges, but he's been to plenty of games of both.
    He's trained with the Laguntas program at Richmond last year.
    AMA I'll try to answer to the best of my ability

Yea he does expect to be at the Dogs, except won't be drafted this draft class, instead the next, so first season would be 2021.
    He's been invited to a bunch of functions by the Doggies, in 2017 he walked out on the field at Mars Stadium in Ballarat against Port Adelaide as part of the indigenous week i think.
    The Doggies have also had a few players come out to the mission and volunteer at a program hid dad runs, called Koko Blokes, which is aimed at getting young indigenous kids to connect back to the culture. So they do a lot of indigenous dancing, crafting Bundi sticks, and keeping these kids out of trouble.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, azabob, boydogs, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He had me at ape-shit.

20. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear we're getting involved with the mission and his father's program and it sounds like our involvement in his playing development will increase over the next 18 months.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.