Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footscray - The Lost World.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    White City stadium was originally named Coursing stadium and was located near the Tottenham railway station on land now occupied by Olex Cables. It operated from 1927 before closing in 1955.
    Tracey's speedway was great Saturday nights out for our family.I recall being at Hyde Street school with a Gordon Hanks and Jarred Hanks has been involved at the WBFC for a number of years in its Events department. Your thread brings back many happy memories.

Jarred is a nice guy. He's been at the bulldogs for years.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm a kid walking to school. Went past it everyday.

Along Roberts st past the chemist, the butchers, Vesna hairdressers, Roccos Deli, The fruit shop, the ANZ bank, turn right at Sam's corner into Somerville rd and down to Kingsville.
    Two lots of my cousins went to Kingsville. They walked either straight down Wales st, or straight down Kingsville street
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    White City stadium was originally named Coursing stadium and was located near the Tottenham railway station on land now occupied by Olex Cables. It operated from 1927 before closing in 1955.
    Tracey's speedway was great Saturday nights out for our family.I recall being at Hyde Street school with a Gordon Hanks and Jarred Hanks has been involved at the WBFC for a number of years in its Events department. Your thread brings back many happy memories.
    My great grand father was the grounds keeper there. I believe my dad and grand parents lived on site for a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Two lots of my cousins went to Kingsville. They walked either straight down Wales st, or straight down Kingsville street
    What years? Those old dears that lived in the houses in Chirnside, Wales, Empress, Kingsville and the streets off Somerville when I was a kid would be stunned to find out how much they are going for these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    My great grand father was the grounds keeper there. I believe my dad and grand parents lived on site for a time.

I can remember the White City train stop-bit fanciful calling it a station. I think it bit the dust when Ginifer opened in the early '80s.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't there a greyhound track at White City? Where monkeys rode on the back of the greyhounds (I hope that's true).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    Wasn't there a greyhound track at White City? Where monkeys rode on the back of the greyhounds (I hope that's true).

I think coursing is greyhound racing.

Post Thanks / Like

What years? Those old dears that lived in the houses in Chirnside, Wales, Empress, Kingsville and the streets off Somerville when I was a kid would be stunned to find out how much they are going for these days.
    Some of us lived in those streets two. Very nice folk around those parts, but might be perceived as the wrong side of Willy rd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    There is a great Facebook page called Western Suburbs Memories, which documents many of these things, Merantau.

https://www.facebook.com/Western-Sub...2297953355187/
    Thanks for posting that link. Some lovely old photos there
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    There was one there. My great Uncles and Aunts had greyhounds who raced there. I also have heard about the monkeys but unfortunately all my rellos have passed on so I can't confirm it.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was brought up in Wales st across the road from the park, till I was 4 years old, then we moved. They would have gone to Kingsville during the 1970s
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Our family arrived in Braybrook in April 1951. Ten pound Poms, we landed at Station Pier and from there were transported by bus to the railway estate in South Road which became known as "Pommy Island". The asphalt ended at Ashley Street. From then on it was a sea of mud. The houses poked up here and there like islands. There wasn't a tree in sight. No fences, no drainage in place, no sewerage.
    The woman sitting in front of us on the bus was overheard saying to her husband. "Ee Larry. I wouldn't like ta liv' 'ere." Shortly after the driver stopped the bus mand pointed out their house. "Ee Larry," said Mrs. Morris, "I wanna go 'ome!"
    You could walk from South Rd to the Maribrynong River through the paddocks. The Housing Commission Estate in Braybrook was yet to be built. There were hitching rails and water troughs for horses in Hampshire Road Sunshine.
    But things changed very quickly. Services were put on. Fences went up along with roads and footpaths.
    The population exploded. Everyone had a job. Reps from all the big firms used to come to school looking for apprentices.

Sadly it's unlikely we'll ever see times like that again.

15. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Likes strebla, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember the White City train stop-bit fanciful calling it a station. I think it bit the dust when Ginifer opened in the early '80s.
    Yes, you're right. It was un-manned. Just a place to get on and off. Pity I didn't pinch one of the enamel signs. They were still there in the early 60s.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention the apprentice thing. One of my cousins left school early but he's landed an apprenticeship and we were saying how lucky he was. Back in those days he would have had a few to chose from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was brought up in Wales st across the road from the park, till I was 4 years old, then we moved. They would have gone to Kingsville during the 1970s

I was there from 1969 to 1975. Seven years including prep. Great school. Great education despite the odd psychopath masquerading as a teacher that used to be rife in the education system back then.