Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Footscray - The Lost World.

This being the "off season" I thought I'd start a thread to take, some of us at least, down memory lane.
    Anyone have recollections of "Sam's Coffee Pot" on the corner of Geelong Rd and Roberts Rd?
    Or "The Pasha" milk bar/take away in Leeds Street?
    Hal Kennedy's Orama Ballroom?
    Or Harry Hank's opposite Footscray Tech in Nicholson St.?Rumour had it that there was a knocking shop upstairs but I suspect it was just school boy talk.
    Anyone remember Edward John's petrol station on Geelong Road. Apparently he'd invented a carby that returned 75 mpg but the petrol companies bought the patent from him and squashed it. He had the carby hanging up on his wall, or so the story goes. He sold every brand of petrol on the market. I've never been able to verify this story though - maybe an urban legend.
    Latoof and Cahils skin stores in Dynon Road? White City greyhound track? It had its own railway station.
    Tracey's Speedway in Maribrynong Road?
    The Lonesome Road Folk Coffee Lounge in Ballarat Rd just near Rosamond Rd?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footscray - The Lost World.

There is a great Facebook page called Western Suburbs Memories, which documents many of these things, Merantau.

https://www.facebook.com/Western-Sub...2297953355187/
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

3. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Footscray Football Republic.

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    There is a great Facebook page called Western Suburbs Memories, which documents many of these things, Merantau.

https://www.facebook.com/Western-Sub...2297953355187/
    Thanks so much Bulldogtrad, great memories and photos!

Post Thanks / Like

When were these landmarks around? I ask because I have lived in the district for nearly 15 years and I think none of them were around even back then.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

But I do remember the bowling alley beside the station. Used to go there in the 80's and early 90's.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    But I do remember the bowling alley beside the station. Used to go there in the 80's and early 90's.
    Scary have a look at https://www.facebook.com/Western-Sub...2297953355187/ and the photos give a year.

Post Thanks / Like

"When the Footscray Council agreed that football, as well as cricket, might be played on Western Reserve (now the Whitten Oval), "the energetic committee widened the ground, moved the pavilion from the pound end to its present position. During this process the pavilion became bogged in about the centre of the ground, and nearly all the available horses in Footscray, together with the majority of the population, were requisitioned to 'move it on'."
    https://www.facebook.com/footscrayhi...type=3&theater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    "When the Footscray Council agreed that football, as well as cricket, might be played on Western Reserve (now the Whitten Oval), "the energetic committee widened the ground, moved the pavilion from the pound end to its present position. During this process the pavilion became bogged in about the centre of the ground, and nearly all the available horses in Footscray, together with the majority of the population, were requisitioned to 'move it on'."
    https://www.facebook.com/footscrayhi...type=3&theater
    Thank you for finding that.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Anyone have recollections of "Sam's Coffee Pot" on the corner of Geelong Rd and Roberts Rd?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    This being the "off season" I thought I'd start a thread to take, some of us at least, down memory lane.
    Or "The Pasha" milk bar/take away in Leeds Street?
    Hal Kennedy's Orama Ballroom?
    Or Harry Hank's opposite Footscray Tech in Nicholson St.?Rumour had it that there was a knocking shop upstairs but I suspect it was just school boy talk.
    Anyone remember Edward John's petrol station on Geelong Road. Apparently he'd invented a carby that returned 75 mpg but the petrol companies bought the patent from him and squashed it. He had the carby hanging up on his wall, or so the story goes. He sold every brand of petrol on the market. I've never been able to verify this story though - maybe an urban legend.
    Latoof and Cahils skin stores in Dynon Road? White City greyhound track? It had its own railway station.
    Tracey's Speedway in Maribrynong Road?
    The Lonesome Road Folk Coffee Lounge in Ballarat Rd just near Rosamond Rd?
    White City stadium was originally named Coursing stadium and was located near the Tottenham railway station on land now occupied by Olex Cables. It operated from 1927 before closing in 1955.
    Tracey's speedway was great Saturday nights out for our family.I recall being at Hyde Street school with a Gordon Hanks and Jarred Hanks has been involved at the WBFC for a number of years in its Events department. Your thread brings back many happy memories.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a Facebook page called Lost Footscray which is very good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    White City stadium was originally named Coursing stadium and was located near the Tottenham railway station on land now occupied by Olex Cables. It operated from 1927 before closing in 1955.
    Tracey's speedway was great Saturday nights out for our family.I recall being at Hyde Street school with a Gordon Hanks and Jarred Hanks has been involved at the WBFC for a number of years in its Events department. Your thread brings back many happy memories.

18. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm a kid walking to school. Went past it everyday.

Along Roberts st past the chemist, the butchers, Vesna hairdressers, Roccos Deli, The fruit shop, the ANZ bank, turn right at Sam's corner into Somerville rd and down to Kingsville.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

20. Thanks merantau thanked for this post