Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  83
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Ride

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Ride

Had my first viewing last night. I think it is a sensational insight into the psyche of the football club over the journey which was season 2015. It clearly demonstrated the pain of the 2014 debacle; the lift in the spirit of the club with the changes of coach, Murph as captain and that remarkable thing called self belief; but ensured that we the passionate supporters shouldn't believe that anyone around the club was satisfied with the outcome at the end of the season. The pain is obvious, the opportunity clear, and the message of building on 2015 into 2016 and beyond won't just happen but will require a rededication to achieving as a team, exploiting the individual talents and strengths of the players. Highly recommended viewing.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help but feel this is a missed revenue opportunity by the club's merchandising/marketing department.

Things I would have done differently:

- Have it available for order via the website. Understand that stock gets distributed separately from the WO Bulldogs shop when ordered online but how hard is it to send a few boxes of DVDs to the online distributor. Too much friction to have to either go into the shop or call and give CC details over the phone. It's 2015!

- Have it available for digital download. Not everyone has a DVD player these days. I don't but I'm still buying the damn thing, but others wouldn't bother.

- Have 3 tiers of pricing. Bronze: gets you the digital download for $19. Silver: gets you the digital download and hard copy for $29. Gold: some sort of limited edition version, maybe signed by the major 'players' in the doc (Murph, PG & Bevo) or production notes, behind the scenes etc for $49.

Guaranteed the club would have made THOUSANDS more this way.

On the plus side, good idea having it available for purchase prior to Christmas. We've bought multiple copies as presents.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Maddog37, Dry Rot, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I know for a fact that it doesn't cost $10 to send a DVD. That would put off some people.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can't help but feel this is a missed revenue opportunity by the club's merchandising/marketing department.

Things I would have done differently:

- Have it available for order via the website. Understand that stock gets distributed separately from the WO Bulldogs shop when ordered online but how hard is it to send a few boxes of DVDs to the online distributor. Too much friction to have to either go into the shop or call and give CC details over the phone. It's 2015!

- Have it available for digital download. Not everyone has a DVD player these days. I don't but I'm still buying the damn thing, but others wouldn't bother.

- Have 3 tiers of pricing. Bronze: gets you the digital download for $19. Silver: gets you the digital download and hard copy for $29. Gold: some sort of limited edition version, maybe signed by the major 'players' in the doc (Murph, PG & Bevo) or production notes, behind the scenes etc for $49.

Guaranteed the club would have made THOUSANDS more this way.

On the plus side, good idea having it available for purchase prior to Christmas. We've bought multiple copies as presents.
    yes, the club should have one person dedicated to having a clue about digital technology. seriously they could get it on itunes, netflix, etc..etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also, I know for a fact that it doesn't cost $10 to send a DVD. That would put off some people.
    I bought two with postage being $10 in total.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I bought two with postage being $10 in total.
    They also charge $10 for one.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They also charge $10 for one.
    The DVD is under $20, so that in combination with the $10 courier isn't a big ask. It's certainly much better value than just about all the other merchandise they sell. ie kids jumper for $90, infants jumper $70, $120 for a backpack, and $30 for an adam cooney t-shirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Can you transfer it? Capture the footage onto a recorder and then burn it onto a blu Ray? The process would probably lessen the sharpness anyway and make it blurry.
    No, can only work with the media quality you have to begin with. I would need the 1080p footage (or at least 720p).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    No, can only work with the media quality you have to begin with. I would need the 1080p footage (or at least 720p).
    Email the club. Maybe they just haven't thought of a mass release but there seems to be some call. Widening the release on different media (medium?) wouldn't mean they have to press any more DVDs. It wouldn't cost anything to upload them and sell the torrents online.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Email the club. Maybe they just haven't thought of a mass release but there seems to be some call. Widening the release on different media (medium?) wouldn't mean they have to press any more DVDs. It wouldn't cost anything to upload them and sell the torrents online.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    TD it will depend on how they shot the video. If they haven't shot it with High Definition then as Cinder says, you can't do much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Really? Working in I.T. I find that interesting, so you don't have a Blu-ray/dvd player, a dvd drive on a laptop or pc, an xbox or playstation or tv with dvd drive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Really? Working in I.T. I find that interesting, so you don't have a Blu-ray/dvd player, a dvd drive on a laptop or pc, an xbox or playstation or tv with dvd drive?
    Don't have a TV, so no need for a DVD player/Xbox/Playstation etc.

Have a Macbook Air with no DVD drive.

Will end up ripping the DVD on someone's PC, put it on a stick and watch it on my laptop.

Much easier if I could pay $19 to just download it (which I would do in heartbeat) and the cost to the club is negligible.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well , the other option for the Club would have been having the DVD as a $10 add on to the Membership pack , maybe I,ll send off an email and suggest it

Post Thanks / Like

Comrade's right on this point. Its 2015 (nearly 2016) - digital download of media (print, audio, video) is a fairly entrenched medium. Not tapping this is neglecting a whole market. Part of the reason booksellers and music companies went digital was the reduction in production costs. Whilst printing a book or making a CD is not significant it can at $1 to the overall cost. At the margins they operate the move to digital distribution has been a godsend!

Post Thanks / Like

Any footage regarding our club gives me goosebumps..
    But watching the ride just filled my heart with emotion.. Tears flowed..
    I love bob Murphy's stories about the kennel..
    I love Luke Beveridges honesty..
    He never just rambles on but speaks with honesty and passion..
    I bought the DVD at cheer squad night..
    I loved it..
    Can I suggest something..
    Stupid as it may sound..
    But forget the scarves and key rings in the membership packs
    Make more of these DVDs annually..
    And let the supporters see more "behind the scenes footage"..
    And keep these DVDs as collectors items
    Watch the ride
    You'll fall in love with the club even more..
    If that's even possible

17. Likes josie, N/A, Scorlibo, Murphy'sLore liked this post