Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the most talented list you've seen in your lifetime?

Honestly, is it?

There are a lot of variables left - our best 22 is really just a crapshoot at this stage and there are probably 35 guys who will push for positions - but I can't recall a time where the last 5 spots in the best 22 are so contested by genuinely talented players.

When guys like Macrae & Hunter - who would arguably be our best two potentials in other eras - are being outshone by other talented kids like Stringer & Bonti it is cause for genuine excitement.

The Eade era had locked in back six with Morris-Lake-Hargrave-Gilbee-Williams-Harbrow at their peak the best defensive unit I've seen in Bulldog colours but were let down elsewhere, particularly the lack of a genuine KPF team.
    Other eras we always seemed to be a position or two short but post 2015 draft we now genuinely have claims to filling every spot on the field and having depth in that position, albeit in some parts with developing players.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this the most talented list you've seen in your lifetime?

For all out talent, 1985 still floats my boat. The best spine, the best rover, one of the best ruckman, a mean lean backline that hated having goals kicked against it, Beasley out of the goalsquare kicking the ton, Jimmy Sewell marking everything at CHF Bamblett cleaning up anything he mised. Wallis in the middle, Dougie on the wing. That team had it all.

What this list has better than any other list I've seen is a better bottom six on the list and in the 22. I can't even figure out a best 22, let alone who the bottom six are.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes N/A, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This team has the best potential to have sustained success over a number of years, and the good thing is they are all young (nearly all)

If the recruits of 2015 prove they are capable of playing AFL, then yes I would agree with OP. Until then, Twodogs is spot on with 1985. Unfortunately the 1985 team couldn't be sustained, it was a once off.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't take a lot of Mr Sheen to polish our silverware. Here's hoping we make an extension to the trophy cabinet soon.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Potentially the best squad I can remember. So many possible up and coming stars. Bontempelli,stringer, Libba, McRae & hunter to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaknowmore View Post
    Potentially the best squad I can remember. So many possible up and coming stars. Bontempelli,stringer, Libba, McRae & hunter to name a few.
    One thing this list has going for it that only a couple of other lists has had is Bontempelli is on it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting choice of words with "talented". A little different to best, most depth, most balanced, most promising, hardest working etc.

The 1997 side came across as blue collar workers up for the fight. The 2009 side was electric with attacking play and high scoring. I would have to say 2009 is the clubhouse leader for proven talent.

The current list shows promise, is well balanced and has good depth, but the most remarkable thing about it is the similarity in age between the group. Many of them will peak together, which could produce a side beyond any we have ever seen
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The kids I watched at the WO in the early and mid 1990's onwards were pretty good.

West, Grant, Johnson, West. Older players like Hawkins, Wynd, Romero, Libba, Hudson & Super. Good honest sorts like Southern, Osborne and kids towards the end like Judas Brown and the 1999 crop.

This talent is pound for pound as good. When we think of the list for next year, think one more year ahead. Say Minson, Boyd and two or three others go off the primary for 2017. Add in another decent free agent, first rounder, favourable trade and some cash to splash about - if we can keep this core group together, Libba, Koby and/or Smith get back to fitness and form, Roughy finds his best role and natural development through next year, and Tom Boyd, Stringer & Bonts becoming the three best players in the AFL then the question of this thread is an easier question for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest dangers we face is these kids getting ahead of themselves.
    The coaching team is going to have to put in place measures to make sure they don't ski along on talent
    and I don't know how they do that but it's great we have guys like Jed Adcock to guide them.

You can be the best team in the comp and still not get there. Geelong 2008.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt that this crop has the "potential" to be the best. Dangerous word that, and it will be up to the coaching staff to keep them in check. When Libba, Wallis, Stringer, Hunter, Macrae, Boyd, Bontempelli, Wood, Roughead, Dahlhaus, etc hit that 24 - 28 year old age bracket, look out. We will be feared and respected by every other club and their supporters.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Short answer - yes. With the large caveat being that word 'potential'.

The team in Eade's era missed out on Chris Grant at his best.
    Plough's era probably didn't bat quite deep enough for high end talent through the midfield.

The list looks as well placed as I have seen it with 3 or 4 players who could genuinely be top 10-15 players in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The list looks as well placed as I have seen it with 3 or 4 players who could genuinely be top 10-15 players in the competition.
    Interesting to ask who.
    I'm thinking:
    Bonti (well durr)
    Stringer
    Libba (A grade clearance player if he can get back to his best)

In their position:
    Boyd (size, mobility & judgement of the ball)
    Wood (arguably the best HBFer in the competition right now)

Very good:
    Macrae, Dahl & Hunter.
    Honorable mention to Dickson - anyone who kicks 50 goals in modern football is very good
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit of a throw away line, but if we can't make a Grand Final with the makings of this list (let alone win one) then I am not sure we'll ever see one in our lifetime.

We don't have too many weaknesses, particularly if this most recent crop of draftees can produce. Replacing Murphy will be nigh on impossible, but I think we can 'cover' Boyd and Morris.

A lot can quickly change but our depth looks very strong, as noted above by the 'bottom 6'. It'd have to be one the of the best lists in the AFL based primarily on this and potential.

We need to strike while the iron is hot from this point forward. Top 4 is a realistic objective for 2016 and from that point you can win the flag.

17. Likes azabob, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting to ask who.
    I'm thinking:
    Bonti (well durr)
    Stringer
    Libba (A grade clearance player if he can get back to his best)

In their position:
    Boyd (size, mobility & judgement of the ball)
    Wood (arguably the best HBFer in the competition right now)

Very good:
    Macrae, Dahl & Hunter.
    Honorable mention to Dickson - anyone who kicks 50 goals in modern football is very good
    Yep - that's pretty much my thoughts.

Certainly Stringer & Bonti could be absolutely elite.
    Macrae & Libba don't have their 'brilliance' - but they are the type of players who could win a brownlow medal and/or be high up in B&F's year after year. (They are the Scott West to String/Bonts' - Grant/Johnno)

Time will tell on Boyd. The recruiters had him as a 'once in a generation forward'....

Post Thanks / Like

What excites me is we have a few background players who are far from reaching their peak. Biggs, Redpath, Jong, Campbell, all players who have improved a lot. Love a few of these to come out and upend expectations. Gosh it's a great time to be a Bulldogs fan.

20. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post