Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this the most talented list you've seen in your lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    One thing this list has going for it that only a couple of other lists has had is Bontempelli is on it.
    Thanks for posting link to the Ogilvies.
    Les Kew Ming (ex North Melb) who went to Echuca) is mentioned a couple of times. His grandparents came over from China during the gold rushes.He was by all accounts a very fine player. An early edition of the Guiness Book of Records noted that in 1928 he bare footed a 74 yard torpedo at the Echuca Showgrounds. I've met two old timers in Bendigo who saw Kew Ming play and they confirm he was a beautiful kick. There is a "Kew Ming Lane" on the outskirts of Ararat.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Thanks for posting link to the Ogilvies.
    Les Kew Ming (ex North Melb) who went to Echuca) is mentioned a couple of times. His grandparents came over from China during the gold rushes.He was by all accounts a very fine player. An early edition of the Guiness Book of Records noted that in 1928 he bare footed a 74 yard torpedo at the Echuca Showgrounds. I've met two old timers in Bendigo who saw Kew Ming play and they confirm he was a beautiful kick. There is a "Kew Ming Lane" on the outskirts of Ararat.
    Thanks for the info on Les Kew Ming Meranau. Do you know which club in Bendigo he played for?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit reluctant to jump the gun.. I remember bragging to every man and his dog about our midfield of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins & Ward and how they will dominate for 12 years.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    I'm a bit reluctant to jump the gun.. I remember bragging to every man and his dog about our midfield of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins & Ward and how they will dominate for 12 years.
    Yes I'm the same. A team of stars does not make a star team. Sticking to a plan, a strategy, having the discipline to stay the distance- this is not yet proven. We haven't won anything yet, and people would be quite happy to pat us on the head with our performance last season, keep us as their second team that jags the odd great win but doesn't challenge.

We want to dominate this comp for years and make opposition hate us. I want Hawthorn to hate playing us, Geelong to hate playing us, and West coast to dread the trip. I want us to travel anywhere in the country and beat Freo, Sydney and expect to beat them more often than not.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our 1977 list contained talent to burn..

Hawkins, Quinlan, Dempsey, Templeton, Whitten Jnr, Jennings, Stoneham, Wheeler, Dunstan, Wilson (?) etc. etc. but we didn't have the culture, the game plan, the work ethic or ambition to achieve anything.

I'd like to ask the question: "Is this the list that is prepared to believe it can be done and to work for each other to get there?"
    For me, that's 99% of the battle at AFL level.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting. Does talent have a bigger impact now than what it did say, in 1977?

I'm probably a little bit different in my thinking than you Webby, I think talent is the major factor now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks for the info on Les Kew Ming Meranau. Do you know which club in Bendigo he played for?
    TD, I'm not sure that he played for a Bendigo club but he definitely played on the Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo because I used to host trivia nights in Bendigo and as an intro, before the real comp began, I would ask the audience my favourite trivia question of all time. And bugger me if Mina Pocock, who was in her late 80s at the time, piped up and said, "Oh, that'd be Kew Ming. He was a lovely kick. I can still see him dashing down the wing at the QEO. Lovely head of black hair ..."
    I nearly fell over! To think there was someone who not only knew the answer but had actually seen him play! Ray Turner, who was a great Bendigo sportsman also knew of Kew Ming and I think he said he played a season for Kerang. I will ask at the Chinese Museum if they have any info.

Post Thanks / Like

TD, I'm not sure that he played for a Bendigo club but he definitely played on the Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo because I used to host trivia nights in Bendigo and as an intro, before the real comp began, I would ask the audience my favourite trivia question of all time. And bugger me if Mina Pocock, who was in her late 80s at the time, piped up and said, "Oh, that'd be Kew Ming. He was a lovely kick. I can still see him dashing down the wing at the QEO. Lovely head of black hair ..."
    I nearly fell over! To think there was someone who not only knew the answer but had actually seen him play! Ray Turner, who was a great Bendigo sportsman also knew of Kew Ming and I think he said he played a season for Kerang. I will ask at the Chinese Museum if they have any info.

That'd be great mate. Thanks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's interesting. Does talent have a bigger impact now than what it did say, in 1977?

I'm probably a little bit different in my thinking than you Webby, I think talent is the major factor now.
    Good question, one that could be debated for hours.

In the past talent was what separated good players from battlers. There were virtually no tactics, players preparations were hardly elite, and all in all the most talented team usually won. That being said there was probably more opportunity to gain an advantage over more talented players by training harder and being fitter than the players of the day.

Today most of the players are of similar levels of fitness and preparation, which helps talent stand out, but tactics reduce the effect individuals can have.

I'd probably lean towards talent being more important in yesteryear.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

12. Likes bulldogtragic, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TD, I've just spoken with Lee McKinnon, the research officer at the Chinese Museum in Bendigo and he is researching Les Kew Ming at the moment mainly from the point of view of his war service as he was awarded the Military Medal in WW 1. He is happy to share info with you and told me quite a lot about Les Kew Ming's family. His email is : research@goldendragonmuseum.org

Post Thanks / Like

TD, I've just spoken with Lee McKinnon, the research officer at the Chinese Museum in Bendigo and he is researching Les Kew Ming at the moment mainly from the point of view of his war service as he was awarded the Military Medal in WW 1. He is happy to share info with you and told me quite a lot about Les Kew Ming's family. His email is : research@goldendragonmuseum.org
    Here is the story of Les: here

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And bugger me if Mina Pocock, who was in her late 80s at the time, piped up and said, "Oh, that'd be Kew Ming..
    Was she related to the great Ron Pocock, the Harness Horse trainer?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Good question, one that could be debated for hours.

In the past talent was what separated good players from battlers. There were virtually no tactics, players preparations were hardly elite, and all in all the most talented team usually won. That being said there was probably more opportunity to gain an advantage over more talented players by training harder and being fitter than the players of the day.

Today most of the players are of similar levels of fitness and preparation, which helps talent stand out, but tactics reduce the effect individuals can have.

I'd probably lean towards talent being more important in yesteryear.
    I agree with you that tactics, coaching and structures etc. even up the competition a fair bit, as does the physical work put into the players which would be reasonably uniform across the competition. Obviously some coaches are head and shoulders above others in terms of strategy and man management, and these factors play a huge part alongside the negation of talent through tactics.

Talent is a variable which isn't uniform, as is list profile (age, physical and personality) so how much can these two things be reacted against if they're in the elite bracket?

You're right, it could go on forever......

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the most sparkling line up of talent I've seen.

The big pivotal factor is Tom Boyd.

If he delivers what a number 1 draft pick should, I think that will tip the scales to a definite yes.

Having said that, gee the 1977 lineup looks pretty amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about talent Bonti will be on channel 9 news sport tonight in about half an hour,