Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Hopes, Dreams etc

We have now completed the the draft and have our list finalised.

Where do we see the team for 2016.

Not looking to pick a best side, just across the list, can we see enough improvement to give us a real crack at the big prize.

Through the off season we have added Suckling and Adcock as mature players and brought in the new draftees. I am prepared to overlook injured players coming back (Libba) as we know there will be players missing through injury throughout 2016.

Not wishing to be stats centric, but from the AFL player ratings http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-r...s#club/CD_T140

We have lost

Jarrad Grant 165.5 pts
    Michael Talia 132.4
    Brett Goodes 58
    Ayce Cordy 48
    Sam Darley 43.2

Total Points out =407.1

We have added
    Matt Suckling 305.3
    Jed Adcock 311.8

Total Points in =617.1

This certainly improves the list on Champion Data rating.

We should also see improvement in some of our 2nd and 3rd year players without any contribution from the new draftees.

We also have improved the experience when compared to the start of 2015 with the experience added to the list throughout the 23 games of 2015.

I know we still have some areas of concern, but I can see plenty of opportunity for the team to be better in 2016. My biggest concern would be a drop off from the old heads Murphy, M Boyd and Morris.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Hopes, Dreams etc

I'm not concerned about any drop off from the three you mention in 2016. I was at the club last week having lunch. Matty Boyd and Dale Morris looked to be in superb physical shape and Bob Murphy has never been out of shape.
    I also think we are better placed to cover injuries to key players. So, I am feeling upbeat about 2016.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I said at the start of last year that I wasn't going to make any predictions because I wouldn't be surprised where we finish. I think I'll stick to that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I said at the start of last year that I wasn't going to make any predictions because I wouldn't be surprised where we finish. I think I'll stick to that.
    I'm hoping for more improvement again 2016 but right now it's still far too early to make any predictions for next year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We just need to keep the expectations for next year in house. Let's not listen to what those media people have to say.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The club should not accept anything less than improvement on last season.

We have improved the quality of list with our recruiting and list management.

We can expect, nay, demand, further improvement of most of the players that played the majority of last year.

We have some quality players returning from injury.

Plus we (at least ought to) have momentum from what we achieved last season.

Whilst I can understand the hesitation to set expectations, as a club we need to dare to dream.

7. Likes Ghost Dog, Bulldog Joe, Remi Moses, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does less expectation though correlate to less disappointment amongst the playing group and supporters as for 2015 we had hardly any expectations and had a stellar year with the list we had.

2011 is an example where we had big expectations but it did not come off.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Boyd. Really looking forward to more Big Boyd. Loved what he did in 2015, those big marks deep near the goals. More please.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Does less expectation though correlate to less disappointment amongst the playing group and supporters as for 2015 we had hardly any expectations and had a stellar year with the list we had.

Expectation is fine when it is realistic.

The 'expectation' we had in 2011 was when the Club President declared a benchmark that wasn't realistic.

Its not unrealistic to think that with our list profile, we would see further improvement in 2016.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Expectation is fine when it is realistic.

The 'expectation' we had in 2011 was when the Club President declared a benchmark that wasn't realistic.

Its not unrealistic to think that with our list profile, we would see further improvement in 2016.
    Yes agree. Expectation must be realistic and if we don't meet those realistic expectations we would naturally be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

I think easty the age demographic and the expectation that we'd had our time in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

On field just like 2015, expect the unexpected.

Off field I expect a tougher time finding a decent seat at Etihad and a longer wait at the concession stands. In other words, a big jump in crowd numbers in 2016!!!
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to beat the Hawks and the Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

20 years on and I still can't hear the phrase 'hopes and dreams' without hearing in my head this interview by Tommy G with 'FW De Clerk'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhKErCF2mJE
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes strebla, ReLoad, craigsahibee, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Expectations? Another finals appearance and to go one better, win a final.

That being said I'm loathe to put any expectation on what we can accomplish this coming season. Young groups can improve or stagnate swiftly and we don't know how our guys will go this year, where the improvement will come from and whether some of our positional weaknesses (ruck, key defenders, key forwards) will be addressed by developing players and off season acquisitions.

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post