Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Players that need to lift

Here's a list ive compiled of players who i belive need a big season or they might come under fire at seasons end:

(in no order)
    Addison - Yes he may be tough as nails but needs to imporve in many of his grey areas. Its going to be hard to break into the backline now with Everitt cementing a spot. May need to look to the midfield and become a tagger/runwithplayer.

Eagleton - Not getting any younger and lacks a defensive side which has been well documented. For the good of the team i hope Ray successfully challenges for the wing position.

McDougall - Needs to cement a spot, either forward or back. Simple as that. I dont hold much hope.

Skipper - This latest injury i think will severely hamper his season. He will be going into 2008 with no pre season combined with the fact that he has to fight for his spot in the team. If Minson takes the no.2 ruck duties the only option is for Skip to become a forward. I wont hold my breath.

Street - One thing that will effect both Street and Skipper will be the arrivals of the new ruckman in the rookie draft this year and hopefully Cordy new year. I cant see Street getting a game unless one of Minson or Hudson go down.

Wight- Needs to find a position. I still have hope he can make it as a ruckman but still lacks the size (weight wise) to be anything more than a flanker.

All comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players that need to lift

Agree with 4 out of the 6.

I think Addison and McDougall could be excluded from your list. Dylan has shown gradual improvement, but admit he needs to improve his ball use and decision making. His hardness alone makes him a player who will be very valuable over the journey and think if he plays 12+ games next year it would be a good result. I thought McDougall found his niche late in the season when played in defence and will be looking for him to improve on these efforts next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that 4 of 6 are KPP. Hard for all to lift in the same side

Post Thanks / Like

I would put Minson into the 'need to lift' category. Perhaps a bit harsh, as he was injured for some of the year, and had good ressies form prior to that. What could a fit Minson do next year? I believe he has it in him to step up in the same way that Harris was able to this year. So far he has only teased.
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends how you define "lift", but gee, potentially long list, this one.

For varying reasons I'd add to the above in no particular order:

Giansiracusa
    Went from being a determined prime mover in '06 to another non-commital passenger in '07...Capable of so much more in all areas and we're a far better team when he's firing. One suspects it's all upstairs with Gia.

Cooney
    Time to swap the myriad of excuses for consistency...Entering a phase where he should be leading the club by example and impacting games more assertively.

Ray
    Learning to get his hands on the footy and demonstrates surprising courage at times but more drive/application and less chook-without-a-head meanderings required. Needs to elevate himself from fringe player to walk up start.

Hargrave
    Decision making still needs serious work. Also needs to cut down on frees against due to poor positioning, ill-discipline and laziness. The occasional goal sneaking forward doesn't nearly offset the defensive gaffes. Defend properly or ply your trade as a tall winger off the bench.

Skipper and Eagleton have gotta be the poster boys for this particular category though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Giansiracusa
    Went from being a determined prime mover in '06 to another non-commital passenger in '07...Capable of so much more in all areas and we're a far better team when he's firing. One suspects it's all upstairs with Gia.

Cooney
    Time to swap the myriad of excuses for consistency...Entering a phase where he should be leading the club by example and impacting games more assertively.

Ray
    Learning to get his hands on the footy and demonstrates surprising courage at times but more drive/application and less chook-without-a-head meanderings required. Needs to elevate himself from fringe player to walk up start.

Hargrave
    Decision making still needs serious work. Also needs to cut down on frees against due to poor positioning, ill-discipline and laziness. The occasional goal sneaking forward doesn't nearly offset the defensive gaffes. Defend properly or ply your trade as a tall winger off the bench.

Skipper and Eagleton have gotta be the poster boys for this particular category though.
    Interesting choice of players but I think you have got this about right.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's easier to make a list of players that DON'T need to lift.
    West, Johnson, Harris, Boyd.
    I'd be hoping for better things next year from everyone else on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Giansiracusa

Cooney

Ray

Hargrave

Could not agree more.

The fringe players are obvious, this is where the list really needs to improve.

Great Call.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

West.

I'm not sure where he is at at the moment. Running around loose across the back / half back line is not the go. And I would prefer that others get their hands dirty and go and get the ball like he does. I am not saying anything about his application and ball getting ability, rather that if our other on-ballers were getting the pill and using it more effectively, so that they were better than he, then where would he play? Maybe off the bench in bursts? In and under while he is fresh?

His ageing body should not have to do it all, especially towards the end of a gruelling season.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney probably the only one on the list I agree with - and in his defence, he needs a full pre-season.

Was impressed with hargrave and doogs last year. I think they'll kick on.

Post Thanks / Like

When eade first arrived at the club he identified that the workload was being carreid by too few. West, Johnson, Smith, Grant and Darcy were doing the work of the other 22 with the occaisional cameo performance. 3 years later, only Johnson and West remain of our Fab 5, and both remain critical elements of the team. They have been supplemented by Murphy, Hahn, Cross, Morris, Harris and Boyd, but still fopr mine there is a need for the workload to be more evenly spread. Guys who need to step up this season include:

1. Gia - more consistency. He has the talent he just needs to not go missing and be prepared to haul the team over the line if needs be;

2. Cooney - an interupted preparation didn't help his cause last year, but his best and worst are miles apart. He needs to stand up this season and show us all why he was the #1 pick in 2003;

3. Ray - many would suggest that pick 4 flatters him, but he has all of the tools to be a very damagin player - was always going to be a slower developer, but this season needs to really step up and hurt teams;

4. Griffin - injury ruined his 2007. He had shown some good signs prior to that and I think that if he can step up and become a dominant player at HB, HF or in the middle it will go a long way to deterining how successful our season is.

5. Minson - another guy whose development has been cruelled by injuries, but again 2008 represents a watershed year for the big fella. Whether he becomes a forward or becomes a dominant ruckman, I have little doubt that a successful Will, will be a significant part of our success in 2008. Hopefully having Hudson will allow him to develop in 2008 as opposed to having to shoulder full responsibility on his own with little real support.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw up a few different names (not a hard task after last season really).

Higgins - Needs to get fitter, hungrier and work on his defensive game. At the moment, he plays the small forward role reasonably well, has great vision, hands, finishing, however doesn't get to enough contests, doesn't apply enough defensive pressure. If he wants to become a midfielder, those need to be his strong suits.

Harbrow - Whilst he was super impressive, for mine, to become a bigger danger he needs to get on the scoreboard with some frequency. His great agility, vision and disposal, with an apparent keen goal sense. Played a bit closer to goal he could become a very dangerous weapon. His work upfield was excellent for a first year player, just needs to add goal kicking to his repertoire.

Palace03 Guest

In terms of players being close to de-listing unless they have an improved season;

Street - With the arrival of Hudson, a rookie and potentially Cordy next year Streeta is in strife unless he can force Minson out of the side (or Hudson I suppose)

Skipper - Tredding water the last 3 years withour showing any real improvement, needs to lift and lock down CHF.

Wight - Doesn't have a position after Everitt took his spot, maybe turned into a tall wingman if skills can improve, because the bloke can run.

Doogs - May battle it out with Skipper for the CHF spot, don't know if either are up to it, but Willy will have a pretty tall forward line next year.

They are all KPP, but I think with the emerging KPP we have one of Street/Wight and one of Skipper/Doogs will be de-listed at the end of the year.

Of the boys who need to lift to cement a spot in the 22
    Addison - Needs to improve disposal and decision making, at this stage probably back up to Hahn.

Higgins - Has shown he has all the tools, but needs to build that engine and show his class over 4 quaters in the midfield

Ray - Has shown bits and pieces, he may come across as soft but i think his tackling is quite good, just has to use the ball better when he gets it.

Harbrow - Was flashy, and quite impressive this year, needs to build his endurance and lock down a wing/HFF

Tiler - Forth year on the list in 08, and should some promising signs in the games he got last year, hopefully he can go forward next year with the better defenders playing on Johnno, Murphy and Welsh??

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thread on BF last year. I think from memory I highlighted Harris, Gia and Power as player's who need to step up. Harris had a much improved year, but the other 2 went backwards.

Rather than pick out a few players at present I think we can safely say that we need a massive lift across the board.

Our most senior players have to become more team orientated. We don't need them to kick 6 goals a game or pick up 40 possessions a game. We need them to contribute to the team, that's all.

Our mid range players (24-28 yo) have to become more consistent in there efforts. Not so much there output, but there input into making us a good team. They have to set the example on the field for the young guys, they have to become our on field leaders.

Our 3 and 4 year players especially our high draft picks have to produce good football on a week to week basis. Not match winning performances, just performances that help the team perform well.

Our young guys have to put there heads down and strive to be the best they can. They have to perform consistently on the track and at Willi and put pressure on the senior team for positions. When they get there opportunities they have to make each game count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc013 View Post
    Cooney probably the only one on the list I agree with - and in his defence, he needs a full pre-season.

Was impressed with hargrave and doogs last year. I think they'll kick on.
    Sorry but 5 matches and 2 goals from someone with his talent in this team is disappointing. You might say he was good down back but that is not what we were looking for. At least we got him for nothing