Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dustin Martin

Can he be sacked and picked up in the PSD on a basic contract?

Surely his current deal has behavioural clauses within it that can be invoked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

If the AFL and/or Richmond stand for anything, this should result in a significant sanction. I don't know what a 'significant sanction' equates to in AFL circles, but if the AFL are serious about issues relating to violence against women, alcohol abuse and whatever the reference to 'continually going in and out of the bathroom' is, then something big needs to happen.
    HAHAHAHA.

The AFL is only serious about women's issues when it can work to the betterment of their #brand. Nothing the AFL does pisses me off more than the lip service to women in the game than we see in the pink washing of the MCG every year as if it means anything to them beyond a helicopter photo and a hashtag.

If they want to be an amoral entity and leave disciplining of social issues up to the clubs and/or the police then that's fine! But how dare they continue to pick and choose their battles as if they are a political party.

With that in mind, if the AFL's form line is anything to go by, if he abused the woman then "Dusty's got his problems to work through, we all know that, but he's just focusing on helping the boys on the field in 2016", if he did it while pissed it'll make some great Footy Show "banter" in about 5 years, but if he did it on DRUGSEVILDRUGS then he might actually be hanged on the steps of AFL house.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes GVGjr, Drunken Bum, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only piece left in this scenario is for Sam Newman to come out and say what an overreaction this has all been and Martin is only being criticised because he's a footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Dustin was just a goose no more

(note doctored for fun)

Last edited by bornadog; 08-12-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Acted like a goose ... Way to hit him with both barrels Brendon
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Stevens to act as a character witness?

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now after much backlash through social media etc,

RICHMOND has belatedly taken a much stronger public stance after star Dustin Martin allegedly threatened a woman in a drunken incident.

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said in a statement that the Saturday night incident was very serious and it demands a thorough investigation.

He said Richmond is incredibly disappointed in Martin, who has apologised to the woman.

Earlier on Tuesday, club legend Kevin Bartlett demanded that Richmond ban Martin for 12 months and he make a $50,000 donation to an appropriate charity.

On Monday, Tigers football manager Dan Richardson had called the incident a hiccup.

Richmond is working with the AFL in investigating the matter and the club will make an announcement by the end of the week on what action they will take against Martin.

"This is a very serious matter that requires a thorough investigation and we are working with the AFL to ensure we have all the facts before us," Gale said.

"I want to be clear that any threat of physical violence against a woman - or any member of the public for that matter - is completely unacceptable.

"Dustin is disappointed in his behaviour and we are incredibly disappointed in Dustin."
    AFL said they will help investigate the matter - maybe Telliar can give Martin some pointers on how to stretch this out.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Acted like a goose ... Way to hit him with both barrels Brendon
    Ok the real statement

Post Thanks / Like

I want to be as fair as I can but as a minimum a 4 week sanction from the home and away season needs to be the starting point. The more I read about it I think a better outcome is 6 weeks. If it's more than that I'd support it but I'm trying to work out a penalty that the AFL and Richmond could work towards.
    It then becomes a huge starting point for any other acts of violence against women.

Also, is there any reason why a police charge couldn't be made? He's threatened harm and has acknowledged that.

The guy who assaulted that lady in Freo got 9 months in the big house didn't he?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Go_Dogs, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want to be as fair as I can but as a minimum a 4 week sanction from the home and away season needs to be the starting point. The more I read about it I think a better outcome is 6 weeks. If it's more than that I'd support it but I'm trying to work out a penalty that the AFL and Richmond could work towards.
    It then becomes a huge starting point for any other acts of violence against women.

Also, is there any reason why a police charge couldn't be made? He's threatened harm and has acknowledged that.

The guy who assaulted that lady in Freo got 9 months in the big house didn't he?
    If the victim were a man, would it make it anymore right?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Why does it always have to be about acts of violence against women? Why can't it just be about acts of violence? If the victim were a man, would it make it anymore right?
    I agree with what you are saying ... any threat of violence against a man or woman is wrong; but with the prevalence of domestic violence predominantly against women (because sometimes men are victims too) and the fact that we are trying to champion women within our sport, but especially as we have our own ambassador Marcus Bontempelli and other AFL superstars spruiking THE LINE aimed at tackling the issue of violence against women; Martin needs to be made an example.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

He can't hit up Riewoldt lace-out though

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond must be planning a strategy to exit him out of the club now surely! I guess the problem is that when he was on the market recently no one wanted to pay his asking price.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes something like that.

Will criminal charges be laid against Martin? It is a serious threat.

I agree with Bartlett stating that he should receive a 12 month ban. Doubt this will happen and he will end up doing some community service with a ban of 4 to 6 matches to commence the season.

Post Thanks / Like

The Freo guy also assaulted/resisted Police on apprehension and had other matters.

In relation to Police action, you need the cooperation of the victim in order for the matter to be further investigated.

If an independent witness were to assist Police there are some offences against Statute that could be considered (Use threatening words/behave in a riotous/offensive manner etc).