Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  76
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dustin Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's a bit difficult when the victim goes to the media instead of the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Also, now 'they' all will hide behind "it's an active police investigation so it's inappropriate to make any comment or take action before the police investigation is finalised". Hence, give nothing to the press and let the storm blow over and do nothing.
    If I was a cold hearted bastard, this would have been the position my whiteboarded flow chart directed me to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's a bit difficult when the victim goes to the media instead of the police.
    In this instance, it was the right move. Gave it plenty of oxygen which may not have been the case had it gone straight to the police.

As BT said, Richmond and the AFL will now hide behind the police investigation and hope it blows over.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    In this instance, it was the right move. Gave it plenty of oxygen which may not have been the case had it gone straight to the police.

As BT said, Richmond and the AFL will now hide behind the police investigation and hope it blows over.
    Because the police are so good at keeping secrets? If anything, going to the police would have ensured it entered the public domain much quicker than it did.

Plus, it depends on the motives of those involved. I think it's been intimated that the victim's Ch7 bosses may have encouraged her to go public with the story. Sorry if I seem a little sceptical of the motives employed by the country's most sensationalist TV network..........but whilst that doesn't diminish the significance of what he's done, it will be interesting to see how the matter is portrayed throughout the season upon his inevitable return. My best bet is it will be highly dramatised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Because the police are so good at keeping secrets? If anything, going to the police would have ensured it entered the public domain much quicker than it did.

Plus, it depends on the motives of those involved. I think it's been intimated that the victim's Ch7 bosses may have encouraged her to go public with the story. Sorry if I seem a little sceptical of the motives employed by the country's most sensationalist TV network..........but whilst that doesn't diminish the significance of what he's done, it will be interesting to see how the matter is portrayed throughout the season upon his inevitable return. My best bet is it will be highly dramatised.
    Less about keeping secrets, more about the AFL and Richmond having the ability to control the dialogue by hiding behind an investigation.

See the Hawthorn sexual assault case.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

That piece of shit network would love nothing more than to turn this appalling act into a narrative of heroism and redemption throughout the year.

7. Likes SonofScray, Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That piece of shit network would love nothing more than to turn this appalling act into a narrative of heroism and redemption throughout the year.
    They get the best of both worlds; if he gets convicted/banned/deregistered etc etc, they can dine out on it all year. If he cops the lettuce leaf treatment and comes back, they can play the redemption angle.

Mass media manipulation 101.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

That would be sickening.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That would be sickening.
    Prepare to be sick, it'll happen, as good a bet as Jake Stringer wagging a finger after every goal he kicks. Fans of Australian Rules football and each Club's members really need to find a more organised, collective voice to demand better.

Post Thanks / Like

The only similar incident that 'escaped' into public notice I can remember was a few years ago when All-Australian defender Nathan Bock struck his girlfriend and threw his beer at her at a pub in front of witnesses.

He was formally charged with assault and has a criminal record.

His club (AFL endorsed) 'penalty' was a $5,000 fine and indefinite leave, told to come back when he was ready.

This penalty was not broadly criticised.

The comparisons between the 2 cases could be seen as progress in public (in)tolerance for such matters over the past few years. You'd hope so.

12. Likes Drunken Bum, bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I see your point.
    Who works for the law here? If ordinary Joe Shmoe went into a bar and half-pissed, told someone he was going to kill them with a chopstick, what would the punishment be? IF they were half-joking, or half-serious regardless, what would the penalty be?

Then beyond that, why does the AFL need to be involved at the level of punishment?
    I'll count myself as Joe Blow here. If my company found out about it I'd be sacked immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

It just reeks of learned behaviour to me as well.
    Probably saw his old man pull this kind of shit all the time.
    Imagine the advice your father would give you about treating women, and treating other members of society when he's a high ranking member of a brutal, criminal organisation.

Post Thanks / Like

Who would've thought the AFL would've put pressure on the lady concerned to "play down" the incident?

The AFL wouldn't do that at all, especially considering how professionally they investigated the Kyle Cheney "joke"......
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it was all some sort of joke from the young lady
    Whacky prankster.
    Incredibly witnesses have "lost " their mobile phones! Who'd have funked it ?
    It will all come out in the coverup .
    Ladies and gents another contrived managed afl outcome .

Post Thanks / Like

It seems soccer/football fans can generate change through not turning up. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned for afl/football fans.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting but somewhat predictable to read so many Richmond supporters defending Martin's actions. It seems many of them think she should have never requested him to quieten down and that act alone somehow forced Martins actions.
    Given I was reading the lady in question is upset with the way the AFL have been handling the investigation and that in her opinion they are trying to get her to water down her comments I suspect we won't see much of a penalty coming Martin's way.

I think there is a fair chance that the penalty will now be a couple of NAB cup games and a fine.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"