Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our biggest challenges for Beveridge in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I get the point you are making I don't think the draw is within his control for next season nor is getting practice games.
    The way I worded it was wrong. Let's call it 'training and improving for the big stage' then. That's going to be a challenge.
    Is there nothing that can be done about it? Sports Psychology might be the answer.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The way I worded it was wrong. Let's call it 'training and improving for the big stage' then. That's going to be a challenge.
    Is there nothing that can be done about it? Sports Psychology might be the answer.
    That makes sense. Good points to consider
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That makes sense. Good points to consider
    Just so many resources, effort and luck to get us into a final, and would break my heart to see us do a Port Adelaide V Geelong, or a West Coast V Hawthorn.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bev's biggest challenge this year is to develop our game plan so that it stands up as well on grounds with significant width (most notably: MCG) as well as it does at Etihad.

Having read a lot of player quotes, I am less concerned about complacency/overconfidence than some. The collective mindset seems to be the right one - that is; last year was a good first step on a long journey, but we've got a long way to go and things will get harder.

Team positions are going to be interesting, with our tall structures seemingly very much open for change. I reckon the following are all key issues for Bev and the coaches:

- Do we go with our 2015 forward line structure or try to develop a 2nd tall forward in a mobile CHF role?
    - Do we play a tall utility/2nd ruckman (eg Roughy) off the bench? (I reckon one of these 2 possibilities will be trialled through the year, but not both. Interesting to see which way they go).
    - Will our recruits (Collins, Adams) or ZCordy jump out of the ground to grab a KPD role early, or do Roberts/Hamling retain those roles? If we get 2 biggish KPDs demanding selection, is Hamling versatile enough to have his role evolve? (I reckon they love Hamling internally, he is the sort of player that is much more respected within footy departments than externally, but it will be tricky to fit 2 talls, him and Morris in most weeks).
    - How does Grant's departure affect structures? Is Suckling a straight replacement or do his specific strengths require adjustments to the overall game plan?
    - With fringe small forward/mids like Hrovat and Honeychurch having been at the club a few years, they need to cement their position this year or face being considered for trade/delisting by year's end. Presuming no major injuries, balancing adequate opportunity for these guys with all the usual considerations will be tricky, we want to make the right decisions come year's end. The other young smalls like Maclean, Daniel, Hamilton, Dale and Webb also need to be rewarded with games when performing to avoid stagnation, so tough calls will be needed. Hopefully these will be the nice problems we'll be dealing with.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking up PP's points concerning taller players, I have been watching a number of our 2015 games on Smart Replay and it is very interesting to see the evolution of our team last year. In the first part of the season, the MC was much more prepared to select taller players. In the Richmond game (round 2), for example, we played Roughead at FB, Zoolander Talia at CHB, Tom Boyd FF, Ayce Cordy and Will Minson on the ground at the same time. We won that game (great win too!) but the verve, the precision and the team gestalt that marked our performances in the second half of the season are just not there. These things happened when the selectors went for mobility & skills - the less tall players.

I think it will be a real challenge for Beveridge to include additional taller (stronger, contested marking) players in the team without sacrificing the strengths that took us to the finals in 2015.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

7. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    In the Richmond game (round 2), for example, we played Roughead at FB, Zoolander Talia at CHB, Tom Boyd FF, Ayce Cordy and Will Minson on the ground at the same time. We won that game (great win too!).
    Maybe that is the formula for winning at the MCG
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe that is the formula for winning at the MCG
    Interesting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I think Bev's biggest challenge this year is to develop our game plan so that it stands up as well on grounds with significant width (most notably: MCG) as well as it does at Etihad.
    First up, thanks for the comprehensive response and from a WOOF perspective 2016 is already off to a great start.

I think the point you raise above is what GD was alluding to. How does Bevo turn us into a better team on the bigger stage with a particular focus on the MCG. No doubt this is a real challenge for him.

Having read a lot of player quotes, I am less concerned about complacency/overconfidence than some. The collective mindset seems to be the right one - that is; last year was a good first step on a long journey, but we've got a long way to go and things will get harder.
    Like you, I'm not worried too much about complacency as our guys are hungry for success. I think our selection process which relies more on some speculation is more of a threat than complacency.

Team positions are going to be interesting, with our tall structures seemingly very much open for change. I reckon the following are all key issues for Bev and the coaches:

- With fringe small forward/mids like Hrovat and Honeychurch having been at the club a few years, they need to cement their position this year or face being considered for trade/delisting by year's end. Presuming no major injuries, balancing adequate opportunity for these guys with all the usual considerations will be tricky, we want to make the right decisions come year's end. The other young smalls like Maclean, Daniel, Hamilton, Dale and Webb also need to be rewarded with games when performing to avoid stagnation, so tough calls will be needed. Hopefully these will be the nice problems we'll be dealing with.
    This point stands out to me. Due to the way we drafted in 2014 we now have a logjam of smaller players. It's going to be be very tricky to balance this going forward and to provide opportunities going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Taking up PP's points concerning taller players, I have been watching a number of our 2015 games on Smart Replay and it is very interesting to see the evolution of our team last year. In the first part of the season, the MC was much more prepared to select taller players. In the Richmond game (round 2), for example, we played Roughead at FB, Zoolander Talia at CHB, Tom Boyd FF, Ayce Cordy and Will Minson on the ground at the same time. We won that game (great win too!) but the verve, the precision and the team gestalt that marked our performances in the second half of the season are just not there. These things happened when the selectors went for mobility & skills - the less tall players.

I think it will be a real challenge for Beveridge to include additional taller (stronger, contested marking) players in the team without sacrificing the strengths that took us to the finals in 2015.
    An excellent point you have made and I'd think we would be hoping Roberts, Hamling, Boyd, Redpath and Adams can improve us in that area. Both Redpath and Boyd can add a lot to us and it's particularly interesting to see a slimmed down Redpath focus on his running over the first part of the pre-season. I'd say they have some specific plans for him.

Great observation F'scary and it will be interesting to see if Bevo has this as a focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GVGjr, I can see room for only one extra tall this year, CHF. But it may turn out that the best option all-in-all is to play guys like Koby Stevens or Lin Jong there.

I can see Redpath making it a CHF - will need to slim down a few kilos and build up the stamina but this is do-able.

I can't see 2 ruckmen in the 22 if Tom Boyd is playing.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree Key position players are an interesting conundrum for us in 2016.

I'm not so sure we need to bring another one in.

I think Beveridge biggest challenge is the ruck position, who is our first ruck and who will be our relief ruckman. The first ruckman needs to be able to ruck 90% game time, provide a contest and most importantly be able to cover the ground.

At this stage no one player is really standing out as preferred number one ruck. Minson and Campbell are same same, Roughead isn't a great tap ruckman, his durability is questionable but does provide versatility. I think the relief ruckman are easier to come by and this will either be by Boyd or Redpath. However all of Campbell, Redpath and Boyd need to improve their fitness a lot.

I'd start with Campbell as first ruck, Redpath back up ruck and Roughead down back with Morris and either Hamling / Roberts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see early in the season again players come in and out of the team as the match committee try and figure out who our best 25 players are. All things being equal there should be plenty of competition for spots.

The other big unknown is how will the abolishment of the sub rule and reduced interchanges will impact not only our game plan and our 22 players selcted each week, but the rest of the other teams in competition.

If other teams also begin sacrificing key position players for more mobile mid size players perhaps we won't need extra support in the key position area.

Overall I think Beveridge willingness last season to play players in multiple positions has really helped set us up to take advantage of both of the above rule changes.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Redpath is being groomed to focus on CHF, this implies Tom Boyd playing FF. I don't think Redpath can or should be asked to play relief ruck on top of playing CHF. That would be Boyd's role.

I don't know about Roughead as FB, there are some matchups that suit him but a lot of others that don't. I think he will be aiming to be the ruckman going into Round 1. He is more mobile, a better mark and has better disposal than Big Will but he is average in the centre bounce and at stoppages, which are Minson's strengths, including the ability to provide clearances and even goals from his own ruck work.

I haven't thought much about using the 4th spot on the bench for a second ruck but intuitively it does not appeal to me with our list. Likewise, having a resting ruck in the FP instead of Stringer or Dickson does not appeal.

It could be that Roughead, like Minson and Campbell does time in the VFL for the sake of team balance and ruck matchups - this would be pretty awkward if he is VC. Have we named the captains and the leadership group yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Does he hold the cup up right handed to show off the right gun, or step around and grab the cup left handed showing off the left gun.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes N/A, Remi Moses, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our biggest challenge has been with us for years - delivery in to the forward line and the forward line system and structure.

We'll never progress while we still just bomb the ball in.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest challenge for mine is more ephemeral. I realise as above that each individual component adds up to a complete whole but to me Beveridge's biggest challenge will be fought out this year inside his head. How does he go one better / two better this year and get us to another Prelim?

I think we have the talent to get there, and another preseason of conditioning and another season of natural improvement should see us within calculations come September, but how does Beveridge counter other teams adjusting to our game plan and does one year of experience in the coaches box provide the breadth of coaching talent that Beveridge will need to counter other teams game plans?

It's not so much about kicking long into the forward line or getting more penetration out of the middle it is a culmination of instances on a daily basis that will test him in his second season as a senior coach. He needs to be able to bottle the romance he injected into the playing group last season and continue to develop our game plan while predicting how each of the other 17 teams will set up come round 1. He has the list but he needs another break out season as coach incorporating his knowledge of the game and his players with the x-factor he displayed last year in the coaches box. He needs to become a better coach and be a better coach than the other coaches?

Does he have the talent and is he experienced and mentally ready for that?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.