Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our biggest challenges for Beveridge in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Our biggest challenge has been with us for years - delivery in to the forward line and the forward line system and structure.

We'll never progress while we still just bomb the ball in.
    We were ranked 4th for scoring last year and we were number one for defensive tackles in the 50mtr arc as well which argues back against the view that there is issues with our forward line system and structure.
    I think there was significant improvement with our delivery into the forward line from previous years. Set shot conversions remain our issue within the forward line and an area we need to improve on and I still believe it cost us the final against Crows.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We were ranked 4th for scoring last year and we were number one for defensive tackles in the 50mtr arc as well which argues back against the view that there is issues with our forward line system and structure.
    I think there was significant improvement with our delivery into the forward line from previous years. Set shot conversions remain our issue within the forward line and an area we need to improve on and I still believe it cost us the final against Crows.
    Didn't we rank much better at getting the ball into the forward 50 than scoring? My recollection of last season is that when the going got tough we'd still just bomb in, unlike say the Hawks who take their time.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Dry Rot, dry sense of humor, unlike the Hawks....
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

There's been some excellent contributions to this thread that have pretty much covered what I'd have liked to say, so thanks to all for the effort thus far.

My main concern, and I think Bev's biggest challenge is instilling a team defensive culture that doesn't stop us from being offensively minded throughout different phases of each game.

Towards the last few rounds of the season and the final we only seemed to be able to execute either defensive skills or offensives skills independently of each other. In my view this was the main issue - aside from goal kicking accuracy - that hurt us most in the first week of finals, and the signs were there against WCE and BRIS where we really struggled to add to the attacking tendencies of our exuberant group.

The best football over longer periods in 2015 was based around hard work around the contest and pressure in our back half that enabled us to spring forward in the first instance, but also put significant pressure on the first ball out of our offensive 50m if we didn't move it cleanly or score. Being able to do this consistently is the only way we will get to the level Hawthorn has displayed over the past three years. They never stop doing that, and that's why they're champions.

If we get the mindset right, we'll be able to do it on any ground in the land. Fitness will help and as we mature we'll be able to deal with the physical demands as second nature, leaving just the mental side to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I'm interested in is how the interchange rotations will effect our game style. Cutting 30 rotations could have huge consequences to how teams play this year. I just pray it doesn't change our momentum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    The one thing I'm interested in is how the interchange rotations will effect our game style. Cutting 30 rotations could have huge consequences to how teams play this year. I just pray it doesn't change our momentum.
    I mentioned that earlier in this thread. I don't think it will. I think we have semi prepared for it by playing players in multiple positions last year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good point SCS, like azabob I suspect it will benefit us on balance. Older and more rigid teams rely on heavy interchange rotations, whereas our flexibility should see us rotating on field more thus needing less interchanges and gaining a relative advantage.

Also the 4 starting on the bench (as opposed to 3 and a sub) may well allow us to play a tall on the bench which may give us more flexibility in our big man rotations (which we never quite nailed last year).

This seems reasonable to me on face value, however these changes sometimes have unseen ramifications, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Post Thanks / Like

For me the biggest challenge is managing the expectations of the playing group, media and supporters based on last year's performances. The current expectation is for the team to continue improvement and push for a top 4 spot. We all know that this expectation brings additional pressure to the coaching and playing groups and if the team doesn't meet these expectations then things can go awry all of a sudden.

9. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good thread.

For me the challenges:

Making sure our defensive structure holds up well as now our mids and forwards looking very promising.

Our players being grounded and bringing the strong work ethic to the forefront which was evident in our great 2015 season.

The ruck situation will be interesting. I'm hoping we see more of Campbell next year. Can he improve?

Very excited Libba is coming back - how will he handle Bevo's game plan?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"